Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Couple Questions (mostly re: drying)
    #1360609 - 03/09/03 03:52 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

So, hypothetically speaking, let's suppose I had a friend who has had her first batch of cakes begin fruiting.

First of all, this hypothetical friend has had some difficulty finding dessicants.  She lives in Canada... Anyone know of any chains of hardware or grocery type stores that sell dessicants in her country?

She's also wondering if it would be possible to dry her mushrooms just by sticking them inside her computer case.  She keeps it running 24 hours a day pretty much.  She says that it gets a bit dusty in there, but she doesn't imagine that's a big problem.

Also, this hypothetical friend might want to confirm something she's read about harvesting... The time to do it is right around the time when the veil breaks, correct?
(she's well aware that all of the FAQs seem to say this, but just wanted to confirm, since she's having me post her drying questions here.)

Finally, she says that she has a couple of good sized mushrooms, but one or two little ones, barely 2 inches long with a tiny cap, but whose veils have clearly broken.  She wants to confirm that these too should be harvested now.

My hypothetical friend thanks you all for your advice. 
Hypothesizing that she receives any, of course :smile: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
shroomin' n00b(for now)
Loc: East Coast, USA
Re: Couple Questions (mostly re: drying) [Re: Oswiu]
    #1360710 - 03/09/03 04:35 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

you can just have a fan blowing over the shrooms, altho try to find dessicant somewhere... you could also use salt if you wanted to (keep shrooms + salt seperate, of course, or maybe those silicia gel packets you get with shoes and everything to help out..)

and yes, whenever the viel breaks, thats the time to pick, even if they are just an inch tall, sometimes you get lil midget shrooms, and then other times you get bigfoot shrooms..=]

I dream of rain...........

Loc: KY
Re: Couple Questions (mostly re: drying) [Re: Trife]
    #1361015 - 03/09/03 06:19 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

my friend does the same thing... at least for now. he puts his mushrooms into his computer for a day or two. his computer moves MASSIVE amounts of air through it (64 cubic feet per minute), so it is like a dark wind tunnel inside of the case. he also put some dessicants (the kind that come in vitamin bottles and whatnot) inside the case. a medium to small mushroom dries in less than a day he says. the 10 inchers take longer though apparently...
he tells me that it seems to be a great drying method... of course, that's all he has anyways, so it better be good!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation