Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineApocolypse
Stoner
Loc: Central US
Hello everyone, We could use a little advice
    #1356911 - 03/07/03 09:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My best friends grandpa started a grow and is looking for some advice, and opinions.  He started 12 .5 pints with Perlite/ WRF, and stored them in a dark dresser drawer at about 70 degrees F.  After 15 days he opened them to find what appears to be mycelium growing on the top of the substrate and it had almost reached the edges (he innoculated with a spore print in the center on top).  Now he has since found these forums and discovered to use BRF and Verm.  He found these supplies and is now ready to do 12 more jars.  Now he is wondering if he can take this partially started myc and tranfer it into the new jars, (kinda like a super innoc).  Would this work?  :confused: He has also made an incubator he thinks will better suit his needs.  It is a 10 gal rubbermaid (green) and has a 100w sub. heater in the bottom submersed in ~4 inches of water.  A smaller rubbermaid slides neatly inside.  Opinions on this incubator?  :confused: He has asked me to write all of this down for him, and he wants me to start a grow log with the new 12 jars, both for himself and you all.  So I will keep you posted and we both appreciate any helpful hints. 

thx

--------------------
-All pictures and associated text featured in any posts of mine are the sole property of Batman who flies by my window in the morning, he asked me to post it online for him and so I do-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hello everyone, We could use a little advice [Re: Apocolypse]
    #1356939 - 03/07/03 10:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yes he could transfer the mycelium but this is pretty risky unless he has a glovebox or a flowhood.
He could try it in a clean room...after spraying Lysol.

I use an incubator like you are describing.
They work great!

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineTrife
shroomin' n00b(for now)
Loc: East Coast, USA
    #1356943 - 03/07/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

You can inno. with the mycelium, altho the problem is going to be the risk of contams..

And the incubator sounds pretty damn good :smile:

Edit:  Argh I try to be the first to post here and that damned Roadkill who lives on these forums beats me to it!

Damn!

--------------------
I dream of rain...........

Edited by Trife (03/07/03 10:07 PM)

OfflineApocolypse
Stoner
Re: Hello everyone, We could use a little advice [Re: Trife]
    #1356981 - 03/07/03 10:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My friends grandpa and I also have started spending alot of our time here.....I think its all the great info. Anyways, we searched and read a bit and we think we understand. A clean room, is what the jars were originally innoculated in, he just removed the lids from sterile jars, held his breath, scraped the spores in and screwed the jar on, no visible cotam so far. He is wondering if it is neccesary to build a "glovebox"?(if thats what they are called) a clean box with fresh filtered air, we saw one on here made from wal-mart. Finances are tight and we were wondering if holding our breath and taking the same steps as before would work? Or is the contam risk much higher? Will the colonization be sped up enough for it to even matter? Also, we have been reading like crazy, and there seems to be so many different substrates/spawns that people use, we were wondering if there is a substainle yeild difference between the different methods? We had planned to colonize the jars, and then birth half of them into a perlite based terr. and case the other half in a soil/verm mix and place into said terr. Advice and or links would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

--------------------
-All pictures and associated text featured in any posts of mine are the sole property of Batman who flies by my window in the morning, he asked me to post it online for him and so I do-

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1357001 - 03/07/03 10:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, Apocalypse!

if i were you *cough* ahem, your grandpa, i'd start over. i wouldn't worry about gloveboxes and the like just yet, but do the basic pf tek (www.fungifun.org) with some new spores in a sterile solution via syringe.
your grandpa's incubator sounds like the dog's bollocks (i.e. good, quaint English phrase).

do cakes first, then try casing, then move to grains, and pasteurising bulk substrates to spawn for larger volumes. you won't need a glovebox until you get a couple of steps past that, with grain to grain transfers, agar and the like. this hobby rocks. there's so much to try  :laugh:, and then so much more to try after that  :laugh: :laugh:

enjoy yourself :cool: 

--------------------
buh

OfflineApocolypse
Stoner
Re: Hello everyone, We could use a little advice [Re: shirley knott]
    #1361232 - 03/09/03 07:55 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thx for the replies everyone. My GP went a little crazy, he started 12 1 pint jars with the BRF/vermiculite mix, and also micro-waved 8 tubberware containers and filled them with his partially started perlite/WRF mycelium. He is going to start a detailed grow log in the appropriate section. He has also constructed an incubator but is a bit worried. He has an 18 gal rubber maid inside a tiny bit larger sterlite, the sterlite has ~3 inches of water in it, with a tronic 100w heater suctioned on the bottom, His temp probe says inside the rubbermaid the temp is 82 degrees, any thoughts about this? Should it do the job? The RH is probably around 50%, does he need to worry about that? If so, how would he raise the RH inside? Like I said there will be a detailed grow log w/pics started sometime tonight and continued until he gets his shrooms.

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #1361492 - 03/09/03 10:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

He has an 18 gal rubber maid inside a tiny bit larger sterlite, the sterlite has ~3 inches of water in it, with a tronic 100w heater suctioned on the bottom, His temp probe says inside the rubbermaid the temp is 82 degrees, any thoughts about this? Should it do the job? The RH is probably around 50%, does he need to worry about that? If so, how would he raise the RH inside?

You should be fine with what you described.

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation