Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTranscendingLife
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
How TL Makes A Glove Box / Still Air Box Tek (W/ PICTURES) * 16
    #13552603 - 11/28/10 01:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

First off, thanks to RogerRabbit.  This glovebox/still air box is his design.  I just made a tek out of it seeing that there are so many people out there looking for one.

Link to My Journal Page

Warning: This tek is not cheap and does require the use of power tools.  If you don’t have the tools/supplies already on hand, it will cost around $80 US (not including buying a drill).

Supplies:
- (1) Sterilite tote, I chose this one, because it has a clear lid, which keeps cost down from buying plexiglass. (You may want to buy 2, because you may screw up, which saves a trip.  Also, I found large totes w/ clear lids hard to find.  Always good to stock up a bit, use them for FC’s or storage.)
- (1) Tube of silicone (for exterior of PVC/GB)
- (1) Tube of silicone II (for interior of PVC/GB)
- (2) 4” PVC Cleanout Adapters (for arm holes)
- (1) 4-1/2” Holesaw (to cut holes for PVC Adapters), also purchase the Arbor for it as well (unless it comes w/ it; mine didn’t).  Also, you don't want to burn plastic.  The fumes are  :toxic: , and your holes turn out like shit.
- (2) 4” PVC Cleanout Plugs (to temporarily close the Adapters to stop MOST airflow)
- (1) Tyvek suit (for arms) OR if you can find just Tyvek Sleeves even better
- (2) 3-9/16 – 4-1/2” Stainless Steel (SS) Clamps (Stainless because they’ll hold up better to cleaning) – Also, you may want to go the next size up; they’re kinda tight when loosened fully
- (1) pair of rubber gloves
- (1) Drill
- (1) Package of Sandpaper (I use a medium grit) – this will help the Silicone adhere to the tote
- (1) measuring tape
- (1) Magic Marker/Sharpie

Pre-Construction:
1. Smoke a bowl and/or have a beer (if you don’t smoke nor drink, skip this step)
2. Place your tote on it’s side opposite of where your armholes will be
3. Put the PVC Adapters, skinnier side to tote, on the tote and trace, as best you can, the PVC, this makes it easier to know where to cut
a. Be sure to “test” your location by reaching around the sides and make sure you can go throughout your tote.
4. Measure from side to side and top to bottom & mark w/ the sharpie to find the “center.”  It doesn’t have to be EXACT but you want to be as close as you can, as this is where the Arbor will go, thus dictating the location of your armholes.
5. Connect your Arbor to your Drill then your holesaw.

Construction:
1. Place your tote on it’s side where the armholes will be and drill forward, from the inside, to start the hole.
a. The holesaw will lock-up against the tote once the Arbor is all the way through and the edges hit the container.
b. Switch the drill to reverse, then SLOWLY, with a slight rocking motion, work your way through the tote.  DON’T force it! You’ll crack your tote, let the saw do the work.
i. I don’t remember who said to run it in reverse, or even if they were being serious, but it works way better than going forward.  I haven’t cracked a tote since using this method w/ the holesaw (see picture).

ii. If you’re doing this outside and it’s cold, you may want to warm up the tote w/ a hair drier for a few seconds.  This will reduce the brittleness of the tote where you’re drilling.
2. Once both holes are cut, run your sand paper over both side of the tote, but DO NOT run it inside the holes.  Also, you can easily pick off the melted plastic.
a. Don’t go over board on the surface area you’re grinding.  You want to stay as close to the holes as possible, which keeps the tote clear so you can see better.
b. The hole is perfect as the PVC will be snug unless you sand the interior of the holes, and we want them snug.  This will reduce air flow/exchange, which we don’t want.
3. Put a nice bead of silicone around PVC Adapter where the skinny turns to large (see picture).

4. Insert PVC Adapters into Tote with a slight twisting motion until you get to the silicone, then just press it in.  DON’T force them as you may crack the tote.

a. Let cure/dry for a few hours, I let mine sit over night on the opposite side of the holes.  I wouldn’t recommend having it sit up right as gravity may work against your silicone, tote &/or seal.

5. Run a bead of Silicone II on the PVC inside the tote to seal it. 
a. This will help take some stress off the exterior silicone as well ensure an airtight seal.
b. Let dry for several hours, Type II Silicone sets in about 1-3 Hours depending on the brand.

6. Cut the sleeves off your Tyvek suit to fit the interior of the box & to slide over the PVC Adapters.
a. Initially, I cut the sleeves at the armpit/shoulder and put it on, then reach into the glove box noticing where it stops.  I then cut about 2” above (closer to the armpit) than this, which leaves some slack to toy around wit.
7. Put the Tyvek arms OVER the interior piece of the PVC.
8. Slide your SS Clamps over the Tyvek Suit and secure to the PVC.

a. DON’T attach your gloves! You want to be able to take your arm out of the GB to flame your needle or scalpel.  Spare Tyvek is always good to have around.  Therefore, keep all your scraps, and you can use them to make air filters for whatever you want.  I throw nothing away in this hobby.  It always comes back later that I need something I thought was scrap.

Final Product:

Well there she is.  My little GB/SAB.  There's two different styles here.  One's smaller w/out tyvek sleeves and no PVC adapters.  The other is for the tek above, which works WAY better.  If I left anything out, please let me know.  I’m stoned ATM and may have overlooked a minute detail.  But from what I’ve posted, I think, with a little common sense, anyone can figure out how to make a GB/SAB.  Just remember, NEVER ATTACH YOUR GLOVES TO THE GB! PLEASE!

--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

Edited by TranscendingLife (07/05/11 09:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Mycosphere( Blessed C...
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #13552633 - 11/28/10 01:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Very nice! :borat:

Great right up:thumbup:

I think this will help some people and it is nice to see variances on teks like GB's...etc..etc.

Looks like you put some great effort into this and a job well done:congrats:

:chugbeer:

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:New to cultivation? :sunny: Have a Question?:mushroomgrow:
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
:blueangel:
Official PNW Mushroom Hunting Season 2011
"...Though in all else he may be as Saintly as St. Francis, in the pursuit of these ends he is more
Satanic than Satan. He will betray his nearest and dearest without the slightest twitch of flesh or spirit.
He is amoral."
-Definition of a mushroom hunter by ~Angelo Pellegrini
:gallery: :omgawesome: :gallery:

Offlinesaintpedro
nom nom nom

Loc: heliosphere
    #13552655 - 11/28/10 01:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Classy glovebox man!  Makes mine look ghetto as.  Nice tek, gonna upgrade my GB now you've inspired me.

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: saintpedro]
    #13552667 - 11/28/10 01:37 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

See already you have germinated inspiration:grin:

--------------------
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
"...Though in all else he may be as Saintly as St. Francis, in the pursuit of these ends he is more
Satanic than Satan. He will betray his nearest and dearest without the slightest twitch of flesh or spirit.
He is amoral."

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: Barakanaten]
    #13552676 - 11/28/10 01:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yup, it's all good man.  Really it's worth the money to buy the holesaw.  I forgot to add something though...which I'm going to do real quick.  The holesaw is a life saver though.  Greatest investment to make the holes easy and precise.

--------------------
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #13552761 - 11/28/10 02:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

First to post rate (+1) plus first to rate you up for a nicely laid out tek with pics!  :mushroom2:

I especially liked step 1 of the pre-construction.  I prefer the still-air box over the glove-box design simply because I can flame sterilize my cultivation tools and apply alcohol to my gloves outside of the box  then move into the box whilst my cultivation tools are still red hot and my gloves are freshly soaked with alcohol.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: hamloaf]
    #13552839 - 11/28/10 02:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:

I especially liked step 1 of the pre-construction.  I prefer the still-air box over the glove-box design simply because I can flame sterilize my cultivation tools and apply alcohol to my gloves outside of the box  then move into the box whilst my cultivation tools are still red hot and my gloves are freshly soaked with alcohol.

It's my favorite step too! It's the first step to everything, really. LOL
Exactly why i say to NEVER attach the gloves, use the Tyvek sleeves.  thanks for the rating, much love. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: hamloaf]
    #13552884 - 11/28/10 02:33 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
I prefer the still-air box over the glove-box design simply because I can flame sterilize my cultivation tools and apply alcohol to my gloves outside of the box  then move into the box whilst my cultivation tools are still red hot and my gloves are freshly soaked with alcohol.

I just apply Iso Alc Very very liberally and "nuke" the box once saturated I flame my needle INSIDE the box.
I am very pleased with the results and I think I will write up a
"how to turn your GB into a flamethrower" tek..:lmafo:

--------------------
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
He is amoral."

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: Barakanaten] * 1
    #13553006 - 11/28/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Barakanaten said:

I just apply Iso Alc Very very liberally and "nuke" the box once saturated I flame my needle INSIDE the box.

I hope you're being sarcastic. :blush: There's lots of horror stories of people literally blowing up GB's by flaming inside after wiping w/ alcohol.  Iso is HIGHLY flammable.  It's rated as a Class 1 flammable liquid, even when it's "spent."

--------------------

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: TranscendingLife] * 1
    #13553034 - 11/28/10 03:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

todlow said:
Quote:

Barakanaten said:

I hope you're being sarcastic. :blush: There's lots of horror stories of people literally blowing up GB's by flaming inside after wiping w/ alcohol.  Iso is HIGHLY flammable.  It's rated as a Class 1 flammable liquid, even when it's "spent."

well of course...As you can see I have a horror story of my own...
notice the shriveled up sleeve:whoa:

Can you imagine what it is like to be on fire :onfire: and not be able to get your hands out of a GB while your running around screaming :omgawesome:

If anyone took that literally I have a bridge to sell them:lol:

--------------------
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
He is amoral."

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #13553075 - 11/28/10 03:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Barakanaten said:

Can you imagine what it is like to be on fire :onfire: and not be able to get your hands out of a GB while your running around screaming :omgawesome:

:ilold:

Good stuff.  I wish you had a video of it, because I bet you looked hilarious running around w/ a GB on your arms while it's on fire!  :lmafo: w/ :facepalm:

--------------------

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13554674 - 11/28/10 08:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

todlow said:
Quote:

Barakanaten said:

:ilold:

Good stuff.  I wish you had a video of it, because I bet you looked hilarious running around w/ a GB on your arms while it's on fire!  :lmafo: w/ :facepalm:

:ashamed: :lmafo::lmafo::lmafo: I learn the hard way. :commonsense:

--------------------
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
He is amoral."

Offlineafrosheen
9Lives the cat
Male User Gallery

#13554896 - 11/28/10 09:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Excellent write-up, nice pictures and steps. However, let it be noted that instead of a hole saw, you could have used a heated up coffee can and shoved it through the side. That gives you the right sized hole and smooths out the edges in one step and most people probably have a coffee can laying around.

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: afrosheen]
    #13554917 - 11/28/10 09:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, the coffee can will work perfectly.  However, melting plastic produces toxic fumes that are horrible for your lunges/ general health.  Therefore, I DO NOT recommend it.  Also, if you're going to use the coffee can, make sure you measure it and find the appropriate sized PVC.  Also, the "perfect" sized holes IS NOT necessary, I like the holes snug, not loose, which requires the hole saw and, possibly, a little elbow grease + sand paper.  This tek is for 4" Adapters using a 4-1/2" holesaw.  Adjust and measure appropriately, please.
My moto to live by: The right tool for the right job.

--------------------

Edited by TranscendingLife (11/28/10 09:57 PM)

Offlineoldmyco
Perma-5 Mushroom Rating
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: afrosheen]
    #13554920 - 11/28/10 09:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

great tip on running the drill in reverse. ill use that next time for sure.

just the thought of alcohol vapors and an open flame in a shut glove box makes me cringe.

--------------------
Deal with it

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13556275 - 11/29/10 08:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

@me :lol:

The double facepalm is reserved for special occasions :lmafo:

--------------------
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
He is amoral."

InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

#13558154 - 11/29/10 04:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Very cool write-up, iv been wanting to make a still air box. I plan to go all out when I make it, which means getting a micro torch and an air ionizer to go with it. Science!

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: Wise Toad]
    #13559786 - 11/29/10 09:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Just make sure not to use ANY air flow through-out the GB/SAB.  That's the point of the GB/SAB, NO airflow.  On the other side, I don't use ANYTHING outside the unit to circulate air.  That's what we're trying to stop/reduce.  I turn off the AC/HEAT, and move extremely slowly, as to reduce air movement. 
On a side note, look into "moving w/out sound" this book will help you significantly in your mycology.  Yes, it's a bit odd, the idea of moving w/out "sound."  However, the Asian ninjas, yes there are still "ninjas" around, have followed this book and found a way to utilize it.
JUST REMEMBER THIS SIMPLE PRINCIPLE:  NO SOUND = MINIMAL AIR MOVEMENT, because Air Movement = Friction, which = sound. 

Yes, it's odd, but completely possible.  I wish I knew the EXACT name of the book, but I don't.  It's atleast 1000 pages long, but, if you study hard, you'll understand, and you'll be able to apply this every day.

Damn it, Barakanaten, I'm getting into your "conspiracy" theories. :wow:

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #13559787 - 11/29/10 09:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Help me design arm holes for my glovebox.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: Maverick]
    #13559829 - 11/29/10 09:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

LOL, it looks like you already have arm holes.  What are their size? I'm sure they're consistent considering your GB is made out of wood.
I'd recommend you measure your arm holes from top to bottom and side to side and figure the diameter from there (guesstimating, of course.)
I'd, personally, recommend going slightly LARGER than what you measure.  That way you can "dremel"/sand the hole out to fit the PVC snugly.
Also, I WOULDN'T recommend trying to buy a holesaw and drill it outwards (larger) from there.  You'll end up chipping the wood and F'ing the GB up. Just go w/ PVC as close as you can and sand the INTERIOR of the arm holes out.  I used the same method to make by bulk humidifier.  I went 1/16" tighter w/ the holesaw than the PVC was, partially because holesawes don't come in 1/16" increments and other to make a snugger fit.
Much love, GL w/ your adventures.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale