Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Do you deserve to live? * 1
    #13555613 - 11/29/10 12:49 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Take a step back and look at yourself. What you think, who you are, what you've done. All you accomplishments.  All other animals and plants die from the look of it.  Many like to think there is something especially worthwhile about humans and humanity. That we are deserving of an immortal soul.

If you believe it lets hear why.  Discuss.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (11/29/10 12:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: Icelander]
    #13555626 - 11/29/10 12:53 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Seems a more funamental matter is the question of what it means to deserve to live?  I couldn't even begin to reason out my worth in light of the things you urge considering.

Practically though, who cares?  I can't see how an immortal soul or our live has much to do with what we deserve, unless you buy into the christian or similar philosophies that hold god to be some dude you can argue with and convince of your position (which always struck me as a bit inconsistant with omniscience, but that's the least of the problems with the bible and christianity).

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: johnm214]
    #13555658 - 11/29/10 01:05 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Really, who deserves to live? The rich kid spoiled and schooled by his parents or the poor uneducated kid in africa who hunts for his family?

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #13555667 - 11/29/10 01:10 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I don't "deserve" anything. What does it mean to deserve anything? Deserve has fake connotations (like many words/concepts).... at best it's speculative conjecture. Too evaluative to fit the palate of a refined dry modern perspective.

I just am... and I just happen to be the most important human on god's holy earth if I may say so myself.

:ass:

You "deserve" what you can take/maintain, and so on and so forth... (and this is the classic heart of the issue for society that seeks to escape/transform the "state of nature" I'd figur)

:tongue2:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Edited by andrewss (11/29/10 01:27 AM)

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery

Loc: groin
    #13555699 - 11/29/10 01:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Deserving?  I for one believe that if there is indeed any awareness after death that experience will be a common/similar/basic experience all people.  Deserving of immortality??  I doubt immortality is a guild of souls that were EFFECTIVE in their lives.  The rain washes the liars AND the saints.  It is or isn't, for all.

The ONLY possibility of "deserving" of immortal life is if you figured a method to extend biological life indefinitely.  Which in fact; I believe may one day be possible.  Basically; If you can find the key, you can drive the car.   

Are humans special among the rest of animals and life?  Unequivocally, yes. Our observation record and manipulation of the physical universe; topped with tremendous intellectual and philosophical creativity and scrutiny that spans that history; You are damn right we are special.

Deserving?  Well no.  If there were a "god" who strikes the magic wand he would be wise to finish us before we destroy his universe and HIM.  Given the chance, we most likely would(perhaps someone already has).

Quote:

Icelander said:
All other animals and plants die from the look of it. 

I don't get this sentence.

--------------------
Multiplied

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: Dickhead]
    #13555706 - 11/29/10 01:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

For a long time I read your signature as "don't fuck with an aspiring shaman" and thought it was pretty funny- maybe even inspired by someone from "the psychedelic experience"

Then I saw that it was really "don't fuck with an aspirin shaman"

I can't say which I like more

:archiebunker:

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #13555719 - 11/29/10 01:39 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
Really, who deserves to live? The rich kid spoiled and schooled by his parents or the poor uneducated kid in africa who hunts for his family?

No, they both suck and deserve to die.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflineCHIEF-CHEESE

Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: andrewss]
    #13555721 - 11/29/10 01:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The symbol I have learned to call myself was born with the gift of breath. At the moment of my inception, I had done nothing to deserve this ability. Countless others were given less ideal circumstances, which they did not ask for, nor did they deserve. Every unlabored inhalation I draw from the air is contrasted with desperate suffocation for untold unfortunate souls. Whilst I have the privileged to manifest my will in the physical world, this temporary form in the flux of existence must act to alleviate the pain and suffering we all bare in common. If I fail to do this, I have not earned my right to breath.

--------------------

Edited by CHIEF-CHEESE (11/29/10 01:59 AM)

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: johnm214]
    #13555745 - 11/29/10 01:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Seems a more funamental matter is the question of what it means to deserve to live?  I couldn't even begin to reason out my worth in light of the things you urge considering.

Practically though, who cares?  I can't see how an immortal soul or our live has much to do with what we deserve, unless you buy into the christian or similar philosophies that hold god to be some dude you can argue with and convince of your position (which always struck me as a bit inconsistant with omniscience, but that's the least of the problems with the bible and christianity).

Well I must care cause I asked.:lol:  Why did I ask?  I've not been able to understand that in light of our animal behaviors how we can consider ourselves superior to other life forms.  I'm asking this to a select group who believe that we are the apex of creation.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#13555750 - 11/29/10 01:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Take a step back and look at yourself. What you think, who you are, what you've done. All you accomplishments.  All other animals and plants die from the look of it.  Many like to think there is something especially worthwhile about humans and humanity. That we are deserving of an immortal soul.

Because :imspecial:, duh.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13555758 - 11/29/10 01:56 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Awebig said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
All other animals and plants die from the look of it. 

I don't get this sentence.

We both come and go just as easy as anything else on the earth. Why would you hold yourself at a higher standard?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: CHIEF-CHEESE]
    #13555774 - 11/29/10 02:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CHIEF-CHEESE said:
The symbol I have learned to call myself was born with the gift of breath. At the moment of my inception, I had done nothing to deserve this ability. Countless others were given less ideal circumstances, which they did not ask for, nor did they deserve. Every unlabored inhalation I draw from the air is contrasted with desperate suffocation for untold unfortunate souls. Whilst I have the privileged to manifest my will in the physical world, this temporary form in the flux of existence must act to alleviate the pain and suffering we all bare in common. If I fail to do this, I have not earned my right to breath.

And who will you earn this right from?  This sounds pretty subjective and not at all what I observe in nature.

--------------------

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery

Loc: groin
Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: CHIEF-CHEESE] * 1
    #13555793 - 11/29/10 02:19 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

New Age guilt trips; shit.  Worse than Catholics.

You don't earn life or breath...  It is given simple as that.  The world as we know it doesn't deal in "deserved".  Only in our civilization, a human idea, does that even acquire meaning.  Whatever may be the mechanism of consciousness, life and death; it would be bound in nature...  No more choosy or intentional than a stick of chaulk. 

Feel unworthy of air if you want... I will breath free if I save a million lives or if I whack off my whole life and do fuck all 

Just remember that in the end(your end) it is not likely to make any more difference.  Born blank, we die blank.

--------------------
Multiplied

OfflineAge_of_Reflection
Traveler
Male

Loc: 10 miles from nowhere
    #13555863 - 11/29/10 03:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I think we all deserve to live. The universe favored your creation, so your hear. All things being equal.

Or, perhaps mortality is an illusion? For those who believe we're getting only a fraction of the story, the possibilities are limitless.
But alas...

Wishful thinking?

--------------------
One day we all will die.

If were lucky, warm in our beds,

But in truth, we lived two lives.

One external, and one in our heads.

--- A.O.R.

OfflineCHIEF-CHEESE

#13555868 - 11/29/10 03:14 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Our minds are bound in bodies of aggression, but we are not wholly governed by thoughtless instinct. I choose to impose a subjective value system upon my actions not out of guilt, but by the recognition that helping others is mutually beneficial. Symbiosis is a viable strategy in evolutionary competition, one I feel humanity should heed for the survival of the species.

I would contest the claim that "we are born blank, we die blank." Living actions are directed into the reality of death, which can only be communicated through allegory. The transmutation of being can be compared to the cycle of wakefulness and sleep. To the objective world, the fact that all this becomes a metaphor as we slip into the dream is taken for granted. Likewise in the dream we are most times unaware that it too is a symbolic perspective. Our logic can only be traced so far back as we remember, so it is in the between states of lucidity and hallucination that we realize the arbitrary nature of distinction. If we admit the meaning of everything is beyond the realm of human cognition, we should also know the meaning of nothing is essentially equivalent. For nothingness to be the state of non-being, it would imply nothing is apparently something to the dead, but not to the living.

--------------------

Edited by CHIEF-CHEESE (11/29/10 03:53 AM)

eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: CHIEF-CHEESE]
    #13556018 - 11/29/10 05:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

This is all a matter on consciousness, which we base our lives around and have had a foundation layed under us before we could even make our own assumptions. Life and death, awake or asleep aren't really awarenesses we could apply to other things, as that's nothing we could even understand.

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
    #13556444 - 11/29/10 08:56 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

There is something special about humanity.  I mean, that's obvious. Sure we commit some of the most fucked up atrocities but there are actually amazing beings out there who are nothing but loving and compassionate. If not for them we would have been wiped out a long time ago. We should all be working towards becoming like that. 

<---ya know people like that

Btw animals have souls too, though probably not all of them on a one-to-one basis like humans do.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#13556541 - 11/29/10 09:31 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Life at it's basic doesn't seem dualistic, but the ego treats life like it treats everything else. It thinks it should live forever, AND it thinks it deserves to die. It feels like this about everything on cursory examination. It feels sorry for that ant it stepped on, and the wilted flowed, and all the miserable creatures.

But ultimately, the ego doesn't think anyone deserves to live period. Someone disagrees with me, or does something less efficiently than I... I wish they would die! They deserve it. A quiet wish for suicide, that's what replaces the ignorant bliss, reduced to base ignorance out of fear, reinforced with all the exposure and illusions of trust crumble.

And appearances become important. "Who me?!?" :confused: "I never did!" :liar: :uptosomething:

Divine Comedy? Or tragedy?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: Age_of_Reflection]
    #13556713 - 11/29/10 10:24 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Age_of_Reflection said:
I think we all deserve to live. The universe favored your creation, so your hear. All things being equal.

Or, perhaps mortality is an illusion? For those who believe we're getting only a fraction of the story, the possibilities are limitless.
But alas...

Wishful thinking?

My convoluted and poorly made point is that do we deserve more than what happens to the rest of nature?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: Rahz]
    #13556717 - 11/29/10 10:25 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
Life at it's basic doesn't seem dualistic, but the ego treats life like it treats everything else. It thinks it should live forever, AND it thinks it deserves to die. It feels like this about everything on cursory examination. It feels sorry for that ant it stepped on, and the wilted flowed, and all the miserable creatures.

But ultimately, the ego doesn't think anyone deserves to live period. Someone disagrees with me, or does something less efficiently than I... I wish they would die! They deserve it. A quiet wish for suicide, that's what replaces the ignorant bliss, reduced to base ignorance out of fear, reinforced with all the exposure and illusions of trust crumble.

And appearances become important. "Who me?!?" :confused: "I never did!" :liar: :uptosomething:

Divine Comedy? Or tragedy?

Interesting post.:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#13556926 - 11/29/10 11:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So I deserve to live?:cool:

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: Rahz]
    #13557083 - 11/29/10 12:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

no:nono:

:tongue2:

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #13565850 - 11/30/10 11:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Quote:

There is no steady unretracing progress in this life; we do not advance through fixed gradations, and at the last one pause: - through infancy's unconscious spell, boyhood's thoughtless faith, adolescence' doubt (the common doom), then scepticism, then disbelief, resting at last in manhood's pondering of If. But once gone through, we trace the round again; and are infants, boys, and men, and Ifs eternally. Where lies the final harbour, whence we unmoor no sore? In what rapt ether sails the world, of which the weariest will never weary? Where is the foundling's father hidden? Our souls are like those orphans whose unwedded mothers die in bearing them: the secret of our paternity lies in their grave, and we must there to learn it.

-Herman Melville, Moby Dick

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you deserve to live? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #13566735 - 12/01/10 07:24 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That's pretty intense.:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #13566894 - 12/01/10 08:28 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I camp a lot intense.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder