Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: A question of Genetics [Re: darshan]
    #13537265 - 11/24/10 08:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

They won't mind at all.  You can even tell then I said to pm them.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: A question of Genetics [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #13538816 - 11/25/10 06:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Does anyone have information or a link to information regarding the status of sequencing in mushroom identification?  I just wonder how common it's become, if researchers are doing it themselves or sending the work elsewhere, and what is being learned about the genetic complexity of these organisms.

This paper is titled 117 Clades of Euagarics...
117 Clades of Euagarics

It's the family tree of mushrooms, showing where they all fit in. Some members of magic variety are also included. Their sequences are in Genbank, meaning that if you find any mushroom on earth you can compare it to these ones easily, (if you can sequence a large ribosomal subunit that is).
:grin:

ps; sequencing the LRSU isn't actually that difficult, I'd imagine that it's a fairly standard procedure, and prices are halving every 12 months or something. I'd wager it could be done for less than $10 a shot. I vaguely remember it being 1 cent per base pair at uni, which would make it about $7.

pss: Just found this - there's a premade kit you can buy. Google "MicroSeq D2 LSU Fungal Sequencing Kit". 

Pretty cool. :congrats:

Offlinedarshan
perennial autodidact
 User Gallery

Re: A question of Genetics [Re: Feelers]
    #13545344 - 11/26/10 07:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Feelers said:
Quote:

Does anyone have information or a link to information regarding the status of sequencing in mushroom identification?  I just wonder how common it's become, if researchers are doing it themselves or sending the work elsewhere, and what is being learned about the genetic complexity of these organisms.

This paper is titled 117 Clades of Euagarics...
117 Clades of Euagarics

It's the family tree of mushrooms, showing where they all fit in. Some members of magic variety are also included. Their sequences are in Genbank, meaning that if you find any mushroom on earth you can compare it to these ones easily, (if you can sequence a large ribosomal subunit that is).
:grin:

ps; sequencing the LRSU isn't actually that difficult, I'd imagine that it's a fairly standard procedure, and prices are halving every 12 months or something. I'd wager it could be done for less than $10 a shot. I vaguely remember it being 1 cent per base pair at uni, which would make it about $7.

pss: Just found this - there's a premade kit you can buy. Google "MicroSeq D2 LSU Fungal Sequencing Kit". 

Pretty cool. :congrats:

Thanks.  I haven't had time to read it all yet but that's the best info I've gotten so far concerning my query.

Awesome!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: A question of Genetics [Re: darshan]
    #13546465 - 11/27/10 12:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

darshan said:

Researchers who work at a large university often do it themselves.

It is very common, almost all new species published these days need dna work in order to pass peer review.

When you have a few sequences you can make a phylogenetic tree.

If you want to play with it download geneious (the basic version is free plus you get a 14 day trial of the pro version).  Get a bunch of sequences from genbank (there is an interface built into geneious to do that easily) and start making trees.  It would be interesting to download all the Psilocybe sequences from genbank and make and tree with all the sequences.

Also see my other DNA sequencing post:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9568483#9568483

I will make a new thread soon with lots of pictures of the sequencing process and all the info I have learned since I made that one.

Offlinedarshan
perennial autodidact
 User Gallery

Re: A question of Genetics [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #13547103 - 11/27/10 06:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks, I will look at this after work today.

Exciting.

Now I just need to get an in on the local GC/MS and we can get some stuff DONE.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix