Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmilin'buddha
king shiznit
Loc: cowtown, canada
mushroom ant mind-control
    #1075320 - 11/21/02 10:25 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

A question for all the biology majors out there. You know who you are...

I remember in intro learning about a mushroom that grew parasitically on ants in South America. They showed us a picture and it was a single thin mushroom rising about 1/2" out from the neck of the ant.

Once the ant was infected, it would be compelled to climb to the top of a mountain where it would die from the cold. In the presence of cold and high altitudes, the mushroom would release its spores and they would float down the mountain to infect more ants.

Now, please don't send lots of "yeah, whatever" replies because it's for real - I learned this shit.

Anyone know what species of mushroom I'm speaking of? Sure makes a compelling argument that mushrooms have some kind of intelligence of their own.

Peace and thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNatas
Natas
Re: mushroom ant mind-control [Re: smilin'buddha]
    #1075475 - 11/21/02 11:34 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"yeah, whatever" !

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1075861 - 11/22/02 02:31 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I haven't heard of that but that sounds pretty cool :smile:

Ingenius little shroomies...

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #1075887 - 11/22/02 02:55 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

im gonna look that up, it sounds cool, but i dunno how true it is.

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

#1075896 - 11/22/02 03:04 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

this is all i could find. maybe its what you heard.....

"Spores may also kill another totally different type of organism for food purposes... Insects. An ant, working on a blade of grass, then he sees a ball flying from the sky! it hits his back, he thinks nothing more about it, then his back starts to hurt, then he becomes weak, then there is mycelia in him, he cant move, he dies, and then, a mushroom grows from his now dead body. The mushroom soon consumes the ant till there is nothing left of him! And yes this does happen, everyday in fact. Mushroom spores land on insects, then form mycelia and grow on them, consuming them in the process."  :tongue:
http://mmmushrooms.tripod.com/explanation.htm

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
    #1076829 - 11/22/02 12:22 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldnt be suprised if thats true that they grow on ants.

I dunno about the mind control thing tho.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinegreenhaze
one toke overthe line

Loc: the severed garden
    #1077198 - 11/22/02 02:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

that's awesome

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #1077752 - 11/22/02 07:14 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I believe you're speaking of fungi in the genus Cordyceps. One in particular, Cordyceps sinensis, is a sought after medicinal fungus with a hefty price tag.

DH

Edited by DethHed (11/22/02 07:17 PM)

OfflineJovialLeprechaun
reasonableperson
Re: mushroom ant mind-control [Re: spores]
    #1077808 - 11/22/02 07:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I remember someone in the Advanced Cultivation Forum was attempting to grow this out on mealworms or some other type of insect, it was very interesting.

However that type of cordyceps originated in Asia? In arid steppe climates.

--------------------
I am a reasonable person.

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Re: mushroom ant mind-control [Re: JovialLeprechaun]
    #1077976 - 11/22/02 09:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hm....thats strange. that it a whole nother culture of mushroom growing.

Offlinenitro2000
Stranger
    #13538945 - 11/25/10 07:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hello,

9 hours ago I and 5 of my friends ingested 2.0 grams of magical mushrooms , it was my first experience on them and some other people had diverse effect aswell , one of my friend got sick and went to bed , 1 just left and i was left with 3 of my friends , and as the night progressed our high got to such a level that our minds sorta became a unity ,we could think things and without saying the other person would comment on them, it got to such a lvl that i sucked in everyone into my universe , into my brain , and what happened next was the most fucked up shit i have ever witnessed , my every thought was evoked by my 2 friends on the left , and my other friend on the right was just with me , knowing i was doing riding it with me , like i thought about my car and the 2 started talking about my car , then i switched my thought to something else and they started talking about it , it was crazy cause 1 was acting like good and the other as bad , and they were in the battle , i would think of say selling drugs and 1 would say that its not a good way to do it and the other would say like stuff that its something to try and see , at first i didn't know what was going on or why every time my mind thought of something they would talk about it and i started to ask myself if i was going crazy or i was telling them this shit before , but it was so real and random that it was impossible , at some point i got to a level where i could control what was going on , like i was thinking of rolling a joint and i made 1 of them roll it for me , then after we smoked it it was crazy cause i controlled what they said and i could talk to myself with their mouths , it was surreal , now after the effect has wore off , only 1 of them was still up , i asked him, wtf did we go through and did u know what you were saying and shit , and he said he remember the shit he said and that it didn't make sense to him and he told me that at 1 point he remembered he looked at me and his mind was sucked in by me , that's how he phrased it , but all in what i can make out of it is that maybe the fungi created some link and my mind took over theirs and for a brief time controlled them , i am really fucking shocked at what happened and i only wished i would have video taped the event cause it would be fucking incredible ,anyways if anyone has any thoughts or similar experience i would love to hear , peace

OfflineMandelbrot107
Z
Male User Gallery

Re: mushroom ant mind-control [Re: nitro2000]
    #13539037 - 11/25/10 08:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/aug/18/zombie-carpenter-ant-fungus-carpenter-ant-fungus

The oldest evidence of a fungus that turns ants into zombies and makes them stagger to their death has been uncovered by scientists.

The gruesome hallmark of the fungus's handiwork was found on the leaves of plants that grew in Messel, near Darmstadt in Germany, 48m years ago.

The finding shows that parasitic fungi evolved the ability to control the creatures they infect in the distant past, even before the rise of the Himalayas.

The fungus, which is alive and well in forests today, latches on to carpenter ants as they cross the forest floor before returning to their nests high in the canopy.

The fungus grows inside the ants and releases chemicals that affect their behaviour. Some ants leave the colony and wander off to find fresh leaves on their own, while others fall from their tree-top havens on to leaves nearer the ground.

The final stage of the parasitic death sentence is the most macabre. In their last hours, infected ants move towards the underside of the leaf they are on and lock their mandibles in a "death grip" around the central vein, immobilising themselves and locking the fungus in position.

"This can happen en masse. You can find whole graveyards with 20 or 30 ants in a square metre. Each time, they are on leaves that are a particular height off the ground and they have bitten into the main vein before dying," said David Hughes at Harvard University.

The fungus cannot grow high up in the canopy or on the forest floor, but infected ants often die on leaves midway between the two, where the humidity and temperature suit the fungus. Once an ant has died, the fungus sprouts from its head and produces a pod of spores, which are fired at night on to the forest floor, where they can infect other ants.

Scientists led by Hughes noticed that ants infected with the fungus, Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, bit into leaves with so much force they left a lasting mark. The holes created by their mandibles either side of the leaf vein are bordered by scar tissue, producing an unmistakable dumb-bell shape.

Writing in the journal, Biology Letters, the team describes how they trawled a database of images that document leaf damage by insects, fungi and other organisms. They found one image of a 48m-year-old leaf from the Messel pit that showed the distinctive "death grip" markings of an infected ant. At the time, the Messel area was thick with subtropical forests.

"We now present it as the first example of behavioural manipulation and probably the only one which can be found. In most cases, this kind of control is spectacular but ephemeral and doesn't leave any permanent trace," Hughes said.

"The question now is, what are the triggers that push a parasite not just to kill its host, but to take over its brain and muscles and then kill it."

He added: "Of all the parasitic organisms, only a few have evolved this trick of manipulating their host's behaviour.

Why go to the bother? Why are there not more of them?"

Scientists are not clear how the fungus controls the ants it infects, but know that the parasite releases alkaloid chemicals into the insect as it consumes it from the inside.

• This article was amended on 18 August 2010. A phrase in the original said: "This can happen on mass." This has been corrected.

--------------------
Nothing I say is true and I lie all the time.

"Just like f***ing a bicycle."

Offlinecaradoc
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: mushroom ant mind-control [Re: Mandelbrot107]
    #13539882 - 11/25/10 12:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:oldthread:

--------------------
1) I can't imagine how P could possibly be false
2) Therefore P

OfflineSnackle
Stranger
    #15037537 - 09/06/11 11:19 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Just saw this old thread while I was searching for the following video of these mushrooms in action. Signed up just so I could post this video here for you all.

***ww.metacafe.com/watch/331826/ant_fungus/

OfflineSnackle
Stranger
    #15037627 - 09/06/11 11:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Found a longer better quality version of the same video:
http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=16788

The mushrooms are referred to as Cordyceps fungi

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: mushroom ant mind-control [Re: Snackle]
    #15040621 - 09/06/11 11:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

According to wiki:  "Some Cordyceps species are able to affect the behavior of their insect host: Cordyceps unilateralis causes ants to climb a plant and attach there before they die. This ensures the parasite's environment is at an optimal temperature and humidity and maximal distribution of the spores from the fruiting body that sprouts out of the dead insect is achieved.[4] Marks have been found on fossilised leaves which suggest this ability to modify the host's behaviour evolved more than 48 million years ago."

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Loc: the universe, the milky w...
Re: mushroom ant mind-control [Re: nitro2000]
    #15040890 - 09/07/11 01:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nitro2000 said:
Hello,

9 hours ago I and 5 of my friends ingested 2.0 grams of magical mushrooms , it was my first experience on them and some other people had diverse effect aswell , one of my friend got sick and went to bed , 1 just left and i was left with 3 of my friends , and as the night progressed our high got to such a level that our minds sorta became a unity ,we could think things and without saying the other person would comment on them, it got to such a lvl that i sucked in everyone into my universe , into my brain , and what happened next was the most fucked up shit i have ever witnessed , my every thought was evoked by my 2 friends on the left , and my other friend on the right was just with me , knowing i was doing riding it with me , like i thought about my car and the 2 started talking about my car , then i switched my thought to something else and they started talking about it , it was crazy cause 1 was acting like good and the other as bad , and they were in the battle , i would think of say selling drugs and 1 would say that its not a good way to do it and the other would say like stuff that its something to try and see , at first i didn't know what was going on or why every time my mind thought of something they would talk about it and i started to ask myself if i was going crazy or i was telling them this shit before , but it was so real and random that it was impossible , at some point i got to a level where i could control what was going on , like i was thinking of rolling a joint and i made 1 of them roll it for me , then after we smoked it it was crazy cause i controlled what they said and i could talk to myself with their mouths , it was surreal , now after the effect has wore off , only 1 of them was still up , i asked him, wtf did we go through and did u know what you were saying and shit , and he said he remember the shit he said and that it didn't make sense to him and he told me that at 1 point he remembered he looked at me and his mind was sucked in by me , that's how he phrased it , but all in what i can make out of it is that maybe the fungi created some link and my mind took over theirs and for a brief time controlled them , i am really fucking shocked at what happened and i only wished i would have video taped the event cause it would be fucking incredible ,anyways if anyone has any thoughts or similar experience i would love to hear , peace

Yup. Shrooms do that to some people. It's nice feeling like you and your friends are telepathic, but it's just a perceptual shift into a state where hyper-awareness of the body language of others allows you to communicate in ways that others might overlook. Glances that last longer than normal. Touching of certain body parts that lingers or gets cut short. It's all there for you to read when you're sober, but when you're tripping it feels like you've discovered something amazing.

--------------------
Open mind, open heart, open book.

OfflineSnoogansflip
Ashtronaut
Male

Re: mushroom ant mind-control [Re: healing]
    #15040975 - 09/07/11 02:22 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I think I saw this on Planet Earth

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures