Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
Honey harboring DEADLY Clostridium spp.
    #1353847 - 03/06/03 03:59 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Today, my microbiology professor was telling our class that honey frequently has bacteria of either Clostridium botulinum (botulism) or C. tetani (tetanus) or both in it (i can't remember), and it shouldn't be fed to young children because of this (they haven't been immunized/developed antibodies to cope).

Is there any mycological implications due to this? Should only pasteurized honey be used for cultivation?

I thought honey was supposed to be resistant to bacterial contamination.

My friend is not that concerned, as he hasn't used any honey teks, but is curious.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Honey harboring DEADLY Clostridium spp. [Re: no-tone]
    #1353939 - 03/06/03 04:43 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It is true that you aren't supposed to feed honey to babies due to microorganisms in it.

As for mycological concerns - pasteurized honey or not, you're going to have to sterilize it yourself too. Using pasteurized honey to start might help a little, but your sterilization process should take care of things regardless of how processed a food you start with.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag