Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate, Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineitsahblunt420
Stranger

Still worried about cobweb mold, do either of these jars look suspicious?
    #13526563 - 11/22/10 08:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This is an experimental jar I have going. It finished colonizing (visibly) today, but I'm worried that its absolutely infested with cobweb mold. I already posted pictures of it, but people thought it looked fine. I took a few better quality pics to hopefully get some more opinions. The bottom of the jar looks perfectly fine, but the top, which is kind of hard to see because of moisture looks very fluffy. The second jar just looked contaminated to me, but I cant positively say that it is.

How are they looking?

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCycleThoughts
Researcher
Male

Re: Still worried about cobweb mold, do either of these jars look suspicious? [Re: itsahblunt420]
    #13526611 - 11/22/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Looks like myc to me.  See how the second ones looks all stringy :thumbup:
I think cobweb is more common during fruiting than colonization in jars.

Offlineitsahblunt420
Stranger

Re: Still worried about cobweb mold, do either of these jars look suspicious? [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #13526805 - 11/22/10 09:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i feel like it looks just as stringy and fluffy as the pictures i've seen of cobweb mold, but i guess i just dont have enough experience to accurately differentiate the two. thanks for the reply

InvisibleCycleThoughts
Researcher
Male

Re: Still worried about cobweb mold, do either of these jars look suspicious? [Re: itsahblunt420]
    #13527307 - 11/22/10 10:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Cobweb is wispy, it's much thinner than myc.  Myc is stringy and fluffy.

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
Re: Still worried about cobweb mold, do either of these jars look suspicious? [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #13527760 - 11/23/10 01:05 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

They all look fine to me.  I am almost certain that that is not cobweb mold.  The first picture looks like regular, fluffy mycelium.  The bottom of the second jar looks like aggressive rhizomorphic mycelia to me.  The third picture shows what looks like metabolic waste from the digestive process of mycelia, nothing to worry about.  You don't want an excess of waste (over-incubation is one cause) though, so make sure that you birth the jar as soon as it is fully colonized for best results.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

OfflineAmphiprion
 User Gallery

Loc: Mindeapoarctica
Re: Still worried about cobweb mold, do either of these jars look suspicious? [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #13527783 - 11/23/10 01:10 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

My Opinion..

The discoloration at the top of the jar in the 1st pic doesn't look good, might want to check that out.

IMO the 3rd pic has cobweb mold, note how whispy the colonization is at the top verm layer.

I see in the background of that pic you are only using a verm layer for protection,put some micro-pore tape over those holes next time for an additional barrier of protection..

--------------------
Amphi

Edited by Amphiprion (11/23/10 01:33 AM)

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Re: Still worried about cobweb mold, do either of these jars look suspicious? [Re: Amphiprion]
    #13527900 - 11/23/10 01:55 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The discoloration in the top of the first jar looks like an optical distortion from the lens/water droplets to me...but I could be wrong.  Can you tell by looking at it that there is discoloration on the mycelia itself?  If so, Amphiprion is probably correct.

I think that the 3rd picture is showing rhizomorphs growing at the very top of the jar.  Cobweb mold has less defined edges in my experience and the color is not as vibrant...it's more of a translucent, fuzzy grey than the bright white cubensis mycelia.

I agree about using another barrier.  Vermiculite barriers work well, but slapping a filter disc over those inoculation ports will pretty much guarantee success.  I like Tyvek because it's free and has a high success rate.

--------------------

Offlineitsahblunt420
Stranger

Re: Still worried about cobweb mold, do either of these jars look suspicious? [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #13528849 - 11/23/10 09:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

the only discoloration that I can see in the first jar pictured is the shades of white. In certain spots on the top, whatever is growing varies a little in color from printer paper white to cotton white. almost the same, but the slightest difference in shade of white. The parts that look dark/green are from the camera angle. I think what happened to the last jar pictures was that it started to colonize up by the top, but because the rest of the colonization was making the cake shrink, it ripped away what had started to colonize the top layer of verm. I originally had some breathable medical tape over them, but somebody recommended taking them off when I mentioned I had very slow growth.

Every time I've checked on them, I mist the tops of the jars with a decent amount of lysol when i put them back in their box, I feel like it helps. I've also noticed that the top layer of verm is completely loose in a lot of my jars, so I think the dry layer isnt helping too much. I should have put a thicker layer of dry verm.

btw, is it true that cobweb mold will take over an entire jar in only a few days? If so all of what i suspect to be cobweb mold has been there for at least 15 days, so I guess these jars probably dont have cobweb mold?

the one jar that doesnt have the dry verm layer has 2 layers of medical tape over it at least. I found green mold growing in the top verm layer of one of my jars that didnt show any mycelium growth, is that a sign that other jars could easily be infected too?

InvisibleCycleThoughts
Researcher
Male

#13529705 - 11/23/10 01:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

When you open it you'll have a better idea.  If you're still unsure, spray a very small amount of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and if it melts, it's cobweb.

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

#13530045 - 11/23/10 02:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I figured that it was the camera angle causing the distortion.  The very slight difference in color is nothing to worry about, cubensis mycelia has a range of color, much like you described.  Yeah, taking off the breathable tape will encourage more gas exchange as vermiculite layers do have a bit of a stifling effect.  Too much moisture or inappropriate incubation temperature can also inhibit growth.

You don't want direct contact of Lysol with your mycelia.  It will probably kill it.  If you feel like it's necessary, maybe just wipe the top of the jar down with an alcohol pad.

Cobweb is definitely a fast-growing contaminant.  Fifteen days worth of growth would be substantial.

I don't think you need a thicker layer of vermiculite.  You shouldn't need two layers of tape.  Try one layer of Tyvek.  You can get it for free from the USPS website in the form of express mail envelopes (it will say Tyvek in the description).

As soon as you see signs of green mold, get that jar as far away from the rest as possible.  It is not necessarily a sign that your other jars also carry the same infection, but they certainly will have a higher chance of it once the Trich starts sporulating in the same room as your healthy jars.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate, Substrate Bags