Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejordanpoison
Stranger
Male

Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s
    #13528585 - 11/23/10 08:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

First off, I'd like to say hello to the shroomery as this is my first post, but I've been an avid reader for quite some time. I've noticed this to be one of the better online communities I've stumbled upon so far and everyone seems to be really helpful. That being said, this noob could use some help with his first mushroom grow.

I'm following the 'Let's Grow Mushrooms' video PF Tek, pretty standard from what I understand

Last night I sterilized 10 jars in a pressure cooker filled with the standard brown rice flour/vermiculite/water mixture with dry verm on top.
The jarlids were pre-drilled with 4 holes and covered in making tape then covered with foil and then sterilized.

I plan on inoculating today with either B+ or Golden Teacher spores (I heard both were good for noobie growers and if you guys have a recommendation, I have both).

My first question is about inoculation. In the video they puncture the tape with the needle, inoculate, and apparently leave it open. Doesn't the inoculation hole need to be covered to prevent contams?

I was also planning on doing an open air inoculation using mostly alcohol to keep things sterile (planning on following the guide on here). By that I mean taking a paper towel soaked in 90% iso and wiping the needle and jar lid, then sliding the needle through the paper towel as it enters the jar. Is this relatively safe or should I consider another method? Any tips would be awesome!

I'm planning on fruiting them in a shotgun terrarium in a closet I may be able to post pics as the grow develops if you guys are interested.

Oh and last question, I haven't been able to get a clear answer. Do they need to colonize in the dark or in the light or does it matter?

I hope I'm not being super irritating asking questions you hear everyday, but my searching hasn't really given me clear answers so I thought it was time to post.

Thanks in advance
I look forward to hanging out in the Shroomery.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleandymc
cocoa beetles from zanzibar
Male User Gallery

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: jordanpoison]
    #13528614 - 11/23/10 08:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jordanpoison said:
I plan on inoculating today with either B+ or Golden Teacher spores (I heard both were good for noobie growers and if you guys have a recommendation, I have both).

Any cube should be the same, except for something like Penis Envy.

Quote:

jordanpoison said:
My first question is about inoculation. In the video they puncture the tape with the needle, inoculate, and apparently leave it open. Doesn't the inoculation hole need to be covered to prevent contams?

You should leave them open for gas exchange.  In fact, you should probably take the tape right off unless the holes are really large.  Your dry verm layer filters out contaminants.

Quote:

jordanpoison said:
I was also planning on doing an open air inoculation using mostly alcohol to keep things sterile (planning on following the guide on here). By that I mean taking a paper towel soaked in 90% iso and wiping the needle and jar lid, then sliding the needle through the paper towel as it enters the jar. Is this relatively safe or should I consider another method? Any tips would be awesome!

You should dilute your iso to 70%.  Extra water helps kill the bacteria.  You should flame your needle if you can, for each jar, then don't touch it with anything including alcohol-soaked paper towels.  You can swab around the inoculation holes with alcohol.

Quote:

jordanpoison said:
Oh and last question, I haven't been able to get a clear answer. Do they need to colonize in the dark or in the light or does it matter?

No, darkness is not necessary.  RR says that normal room light (indirect sunlight) actually helps.

Good luck

--------------------
How I make spore prints
Trade List
My flow hood

If he asks me "Did you have a good time?" I'll say,
"Get the lights, Mr. Grim Reaper"  -odds

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: jordanpoison]
    #13528624 - 11/23/10 08:39 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

1) You do not need to cover your holes with masking tape, and those who
do use micro pore tape as it allows for a bit of gas exchange. IMO you
do not need tape over your holes. The dry verm layer is your "filter"
from contaminates.

2)A glove box is obviously better then doing open air inoculations but
even still it should not be a big issue. Instead of using all that alc
simply flame sterilize the needle between every jar. As RR has said
many times no contams can survive red hot!

3)Closets usually do not allow for enough fresh air exchange

4)Colonization is fine at room temperature and does not matter if
there is light or not.

Andy beat me to but, but ill post this anyway!
:goodluck:

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #13528627 - 11/23/10 08:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The dry verm is your filter. Some people will tape with micropore tape after shooting pf jars (I do) but it's optional.

Flame the needle red hot, don't wipe it with anything. Re-flame between jars or as needed.

Split the jars up, do half with one syringe, half with the other.
This will give you a hedge against a bad syringe.

Avoid bright direct light during colonization, but some random room light is ok.
You'll usually have them someplace pretty dark like a cabinet anyway.

Edit- late. :frown:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblem00nshine
ÜBER SHAMAN
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BALLS DEEP
    #13528631 - 11/23/10 08:42 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

IME B+ is very forgiving and a great variety
for a noob to grow. Although, it has had some
reported issues with potency.

You don't need to cover the holes, if you're
paranoid cover the holes with micro pore tape.

Do your open air inoculation in a small room
with no windows open. You want relatively still air.
All you need to do is flame sterilize the needle
between jars. There is no need for alcohol, really.

Colonizing jars can be exposed to light. Hell,
mine get 12+ hours of light a day and all is well.
I've also kept them in the dark, like
the good 'ole days and that worked well, too.

--------------------

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: m00nshine]
    #13528651 - 11/23/10 08:50 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I would also suggest taking a look at Cervantes Race/Variety/Strain
Journal. It will give you a better understanding of the species
Psilocybe cubensis and its many variety's.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10560039/fpart/1

Offlinejordanpoison
Stranger
Male

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #13528946 - 11/23/10 10:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

EvilMushroom666 said:

3)Closets usually do not allow for enough fresh air exchange

well, I have the kind with 2 sliding mirror doors, and they're not exactly sealed well. I was planning on cracking them like 6 inches on one side and hopefully generating air flow that way. Does this seem reasonable? I'm trying to keep the grow on the secret side.

Offlinejordanpoison
Stranger
Male

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: m00nshine]
    #13528954 - 11/23/10 10:16 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

m00nshine said:

You don't need to cover the holes, if you're
paranoid cover the holes with micro pore tape.

So I could seriously just leave the tape off all together? the holes are between 1/8 and 3/16 of an inch maybe like 3-4mm if you're using metric

OfflineCAP_TURTLE
Adventurer
 User Gallery

#13528978 - 11/23/10 10:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If your gonna do open air make sure you turn off any air or heat in your house 20 mins prior. Doc I'm actually surprised to hear you put micropore tape over your holes. I did this after a bit of concern but i honestly think it slowed down colonization on the bottom of my jars and i had mycelium reaching through the verm layer, no contams though. My tops are fully colonized though so i removed them hopeing to increase ge, figuring if anything seeped down through the verm it wouldnt have anything to colonize. Also I highly recomend reading RR's notes. Click the must read on my sig. I still havnt finished but for some reason i trust the guys information:crazy2: After you read that i dont think you will be left with too many questions, it has cleared up alot for me.  Best of luck.

Invisiblewisdom187
Stranger
Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: andymc]
    #13529118 - 11/23/10 10:56 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

andymc said:
Quote:

jordanpoison said:

Any cube should be the same, except for something like Penis Envy.

Why is penis envy different?

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: CAP_TURTLE]
    #13529128 - 11/23/10 10:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

the tape and foil are mostly to prevent water from entering or exiting your PF jars.

just poke through the tape with your needle and then leave it be.

foil off

and penis envy is suopposed to be more potent

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Offlinejordanpoison
Stranger
Male

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: k00laid]
    #13556743 - 11/29/10 10:31 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well, good news. I've got micropore tape on the inoculation holes and now its been 6 days since inoculation and I'm seeing some clear signs of colonization on 3/4 of the batch (nice white chunks of mycellium, mmmhmm)

Now some bad news (or maybe not, you tell me).

I have one jar that seems to have colonized pretty well on one side. It has about a dime sized white clump and a few smaller ones, but only by one inoculation hole. It was the last one I did so it has the least spore solution, and I'm worried that it only got enough on that side. because the rest of the jar is totally normal. Is it going to fully colonize this way and just take forever or is it a dud?

Offlinepyl91

Loc: Flag
    #13556826 - 11/29/10 10:48 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jordanpoison said:
I have one jar that seems to have colonized pretty well on one side. It has about a dime sized white clump and a few smaller ones, but only by one inoculation hole. It was the last one I did so it has the least spore solution, and I'm worried that it only got enough on that side. because the rest of the jar is totally normal. Is it going to fully colonize this way and just take forever or is it a dud?

It's just going to take longer to colonize.

OfflineCAP_TURTLE
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: pyl91]
    #13557711 - 11/29/10 02:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

All my jars differentiated when they first started colonizing but they eventually evened out and fully colonized pretty much the same time. Just sit back and watch:2girls1cup:

Offlinejordanpoison
Stranger
Male

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: CAP_TURTLE]
    #13558213 - 11/29/10 04:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know. I lack patience pretty hardcore so the wait is absolutely killing me!

But so that I'm ready for step two could you guys double check my methodology?

I'm making a Shotgun out of a decent sized clear tote, around a foot and a half wide, 2 and a half long and maybe 1 and a half deep.

Drilling 1/4" holes 2 inches apart all over it

filling with moistened and strained perlite (I've heard everything from 2 inches worth to 5 inches, can someone recommend me a good one?)

Putting cakes in on their jar lids after dunk n' roll tek

then misting periodically under a 6500 lumen 'daylight' bulb on a 12/12

One question I did have though is how close should the light source be to the box?

Offlinebroken
455 member(s)
Male User Gallery

Loc: fuckyeah!
    #13558233 - 11/29/10 04:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i use a closet but open it a couple times a day to let the air exchange and it seems to work fine. i think you have the rest of your answers.

--------------------
:willynilly:

OfflinePsilocyentist
Carbon based

Loc: Flag
Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: broken]
    #13558296 - 11/29/10 04:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Don't flip the jars, take off the foil. 5 in of perlite. Mist and FAN. Fresh air exchange is very important, even more so for you since your growing in a closet. Mist 3-4 times a day, fan 5-6 times a day. Always fan after misting.

--------------------
I know, I know you probably scream and cry

That your little world won't let you go

Invisibleandymc
Male User Gallery

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: Psilocyentist]
    #13558429 - 11/29/10 05:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocyentist said:
Don't flip the jars, take off the foil. 5 in of perlite. Mist and FAN. Fresh air exchange is very important, even more so for you since your growing in a closet. Mist 3-4 times a day, fan 5-6 times a day. Always fan after misting.

:whathesaid: All of this, though you could get away with a little bit less misting and fanning if you weren't hiding your grow in a closet, at least after your pinset is established.  Don't overmist, and fan more often than you mist, as stated.

Well done making a proper SGFC.

Your light should be as close as possible to the FC without causing a noticeable rise in temperature.  The intensity of light decreases exponentially with distance.

--------------------
How I make spore prints
Trade List
My flow hood

Offlinejordanpoison
Stranger
Male

#13559297 - 11/29/10 07:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Realistically with 5 inches of perlite the cakes will still be atleast a foot from the light if it were touching the lid. So would it be good to have it about 6 inches away from the lid, or is that too close?

Also misting/fanning shouldn't be an issue, I'm pretty OCD about this little science project. I go to look at my jars like 4 times a day just to see progress. lol.

Thanks again for all your help guys. This site has already been so great to me, none of this grow would be possible without the shroomery!!

Invisibleandymc
Male User Gallery

#13559380 - 11/29/10 08:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jordanpoison said:
Realistically with 5 inches of perlite the cakes will still be atleast a foot from the light if it were touching the lid. So would it be good to have it about 6 inches away from the lid, or is that too close?

That sounds fine to me, without asking/looking about the details of your lighting equipment.

Quote:

jordanpoison said:
Also misting/fanning shouldn't be an issue, I'm pretty OCD about this little science project. I go to look at my jars like 4 times a day just to see progress. lol.

Good, just don't love them to death :wink:.  Try not to mess with the jars too much, and let them do their thing in peace.  After you birth them you'll get lots of chances to love them up with misting and fanning, etc.

Quote:

jordanpoison said:
Thanks again for all your help guys. This site has already been so great to me, none of this grow would be possible without the shroomery!!

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll keep us updated.

--------------------
How I make spore prints
Trade List
My flow hood

Offlinejordanpoison
Stranger
Male

#13561695 - 11/30/10 08:38 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

My lighting is probably less than ideal. I only have 1 bulb and 1 lamp to spare and its the hanging kind that's just sort of a parabola where the bulb screws in the middle. The lamp will be hanging from a coat hanger in the closet in such a way that I can adjust the height as needed. I'll probably start posting pictures as soon as the jars are done colonizing, because I don't see the sense in boring you with little white globs on rice flour.

Unless you think I'd be making some great contribution to mycology. ROFL.
This is my first grow and I'm sure it will be laden with mistakes. I really just want enough to trip once or twice with some friends.

Edited by jordanpoison (11/30/10 09:31 AM)

OfflinexChaosMonkeyx
some dude
    #13561790 - 11/30/10 09:03 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

thanks.

Edited by xChaosMonkeyx (11/30/10 10:30 AM)

OfflineIhrHase
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#13561806 - 11/30/10 09:10 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

For the other thing, PM me and I can explain off site how the Free Market works, I also cultivate vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers and the like) and sell them individually, I have some experience in such a field...

To tell you the truth about lighting if your area is around 750F I have some fruiting success with a grow kit with it sitting in my room and no added light beyond my room light and natural sun indirect illumination.  I will let you know if the PF tek I am running grows well under the same circumstances.

--------------------
"The syntactical nature of reality, the real secret of magic, is that the world is made of words. And if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish."
— Terence McKenna

Offlinejordanpoison
Stranger
Male

Re: Hi all! First-time Mushroom Grow needs answers to noob ?s [Re: IhrHase]
    #13561870 - 11/30/10 09:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Done Deal.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract