Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: Sweden - Elklands
A different way, need help.
    #1352474 - 03/05/03 01:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Greetings to everyone from a newbie-(shroom)grower.

I am doing a spawn on dung and hay and need some advices.

I recieved a fully colonized jar of some P. Cubensis strain from a friend. The substrate is pure corn.

So, I've collected sheeps dung and straw from my friends small farm.
My first question is about the sheeps dung.

I couldn?t find any older dung as the frost in the ground makes it impossible dugging in the dungpiles, and the snow is covering all the ground. So I took what was available: Freshfrozen sheeps dung. The amount was aproximately 1 kilo.

Then my friends had some bales of nice straw so I filled up a small shopping bag.

So the question is about if the fresh dung is ok to use?

I will continue telling you what I have already done:

I took a great metalcan with hole in bottom and crane for drainage, put a small piece of textile in the hole (so it wouldn?t get clogged), and then put in the straw and poop in layers. I then put a cloth over it and sprayed it with water. I am still spraying as I did all this today. The can is in a small room with a temperature of maybe 35-40 ?C (95-104 ?F).

Why did I do all this? Well a friend of mine said that the mycologists he had known always treated their spawn-substrate like that, mixing dung and straw and then letting it lay and process for a week whilst turning the pile a few times and always keeping it moisty.

His opinion was that this processing was leading to pasteurizing as well, as the process would generate heat.

Well, what I have planned to do next is spraing, draining, turning around, and waiting out the week. Meantime the fully colonized jar is in a temperature of maximum 15 ?C (59 ?F), and I have already got a fruiting chamber (an old aquarium) where I plan to put the straw&dung whilst colonizing, and then start fruiting.

What I need to know is:
Is this treating leading to auto-pasteurizing?
Is this mix of straw and dung in risk of any contamination when it?s treated like this?
If so, will any additional pasteurizing (in hot water) eliminate the contaminants?
Have I chosen a good storage for the colonized jar?
Would it be a problem if the colony would start pinning in the jar as result of the colder climate?

If anyone has knowledge about this, please write an answer to this post. Any ideas, comments, opinions, what-so-ever are WELCOME.

Edited by RedSerpentofSun (03/05/03 01:28 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTrippy Hippy
The great whitehunter
Loc: SouthEast
Re: A different way, need help. [Re: RedSerpentofSun]
    #1352547 - 03/05/03 01:53 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I think that for the temps to increase decomposition must take place which i believe would take alot more then one week, possibly around 2 months.

Hey if you wanted to increase your chances of success and not put all your eggs in one basket you should try a grain to grain (or in your case corn) transfer. This way you could have a dozen jars colonized in one week and that means a dozen chances to see if the sheep dung is correctly pasteurized and/or aged. All that you would need is some sterilized grain jars and a simple glove box made from gloves, a cardboard box, and some plastic. Its a fairly simple process and worth looking into. Sorry for not answering any of the questions you asked.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Magash, Shroomism, george castanza, Prisoner#1, RogerRabbit, Citric, total, FooMan, 13shrooms, stonesun, EvilMushroom666, cronicr, PussyFart
293 topic views. 5 members, 44 guests and 19 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.042 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.