Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Chemistry books -opinions
    #1351554 - 03/05/03 06:22 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

okay i am at the library right now and am picking up some chemistry text books. I am going to be learning this material on my own so i wanted some opinions on the books i have chosen to use. Okay first off i got a book by G. William Daub and William S. Seese. The book is cale basic chemistry (seventh edition), now so far from what i have read in the book it seems okay, not too entertaining to read but hey, you can't always get what u want. I also got a book which i recomend to everyone that is trying to learn any type of science. The book is called The facts on file dictionary of chemistry. This will help you out a great deal. Unlike other chemistry dictionarys i have seen today, this one explains in simple english instead of just bobarding(sp?) you with more and more scientific terms.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Re: Chemistry books -opinions [Re: ]
    #1351709 - 03/05/03 07:23 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

OK, if this is going to be a thread about recommending good books for people who want to learn chemistry, I want to recommend The Merck Index. My copy is a bit old (1976), but it's one of the best chemical references around. Most of the book is a list of about 10,000 chemicals and information about them. That includes structures, physical properties, actual uses, and references on their synthesis. Most chemicals you might have an interest in finding some basic information about are in there. There are also sections at the back on topics like Organic Name Reactions, First Aid for Poisoning, and Indicators for Volumetric Work and pH Determination.

I'm sure the price has gone up a bit, but my copy only cost $18 at the university bookstore, new.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: Chemistry books -opinions [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1352018 - 03/05/03 09:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

wow that sounds great, but i am more than certain the price has gone up, now text books usually cost 100$ and up

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Chemistry books -opinions [Re: ]
    #1352056 - 03/05/03 09:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i got my '68 Merck index of chremicals & drugs in a bag o books for a buck sale near naperville IL several years ago...
libraries often divest themselves of "outdated" reference materials (Merck index, CRCs, Lange's, PDRs, yaddayadda...)
some organic chem texts & lab manuals from your local college student could ba a possibility...
or even consider taking some general chem & o chem courses at the local college, eh?
wellll......

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Anonymous

Re: Chemistry books -opinions [Re: gnrm23]
    #1352208 - 03/05/03 11:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i have not yet decided what i want to do with my life, so i am considering chemstry. not sure if i'l like it so i went to the library and am going to try and finish this text book, if i like it i will continue, if not then hey, it was free :grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

General Interest >> Science and Technology