Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Incense, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecyankid
HEPA's etc.
    #1350798 - 03/04/03 08:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hi folks. My helper monkey has a few question's.

1) Anyone having used a laminar flow hood, is 12 x 24 big enough? Seems kinda short. Helper monkey opting towards 18 x 24, but those are hard to find, so monkey might have to go with 24 x 24. Gonna take up a lotta space though.

2) For the actual hood part, is a diagonal clear sheet (sneeze window) okay? Or will it affect the laminarness? Monkey breathe heavy.

-------\ <- Make sense?
|
|
---------

3) Got some cool links. Cheaper than FiltersRX and you don't have to wait 4 weeks for your filter. You do have to call for a quote though:

www.halco-products.com

http://www.tridim.com/

4) Monkey innoculated some plates with 2 year old B+ spores. Germinated in 3 days. What an amazing lifeform.

5) Rhizo's only appear after plates are nearly colonized completely. Monkey thinks that rhizo's are for hunting out nutrients. That's what they look like anyways.
Anyone ever try a low nutrition agar substance? Ten bucks says you see more rhizo growth when your ratio of nutes is lower.

6) What does properly saturated Rye look like? My monkey made some jars up last night. Soaked Rye and Birdseed for 12 hours, loaded jars, PC'd at 17.5 PSI for 70 minutes. Birdseed looks fine, rye looks a little dry. When soaking, it did sit dry for awhile, cuz it expanded so much it soaked up all the water. Helper monkey sacrificed a jar and chewed the rye. Monkey said it was moist but not saturated.
Monkey had extra plate, so he innoculated anyways.

7) Sorry for the long post.

cyankid and his helper monkey

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: HEPA's etc. [Re: cyankid]
    #1350836 - 03/04/03 08:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You can build a 2 X 2 X 4 lightweight unit, like this. Dimensions excludes enclosed laminar flow working area

For the sake of weight, the frame is a solid welded unit of 1.5 inch aluminum alloy angle. What covers the frame is thin gauge aluminum sheet metal.

Intake end has a 24 X 24 X 12 HEPA (99.7) & outflow end has a 24 X 24 X 12 ULPA (99.999).

Between the 2 sits single speed SC fan. But, outflow CFM can be raised or lowered via an internal damper, with external control nob.

Pic below is of the intake end filter. A course prefilter (bug catcher) fits over the face of that.

Outflow end has a glass clear 3/8ths thick Lucite hood that bolts to the unit for a laminar flow working space that extends out from the filter face 20 inhces.

Without the hood bolted on, unit is 2 X 2 X 4 feet.
6T (aka Mycota)

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: HEPA's etc. [Re: SixTango]
    #1351340 - 03/05/03 03:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

not trying to jack this thread but add to it... how does one go about establishing laminar flow? how important is this? let's sat we take a 12X24 flat-faced flowhood blowing at the optimal CFM quoted by TMC (i forgot it, 2.4?). Will creating a laminar flow decrease the CFM thereby requiring a tweak to up fan speed? what math would be involved in achieving a truly laminar flow. I've witnessed no problem using a non-laminar flow and am curious as to how much of an advantage this actually offers, just more peace of mind? i've got questions, anyone got answers?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: HEPA's etc. [Re: debianlinux]
    #1351457 - 03/05/03 05:25 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

>what math would be involved in achieving a truly laminar flow.

No math really.
Just follow the recomendations for the flow speed(=100 feet per minute front escape velocity) and you have laminar flow.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1351691 - 03/05/03 07:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The fan & filters described above were mismatched, in the sence that the filters are very big & the fan is a powerfull one, out of a furnace.

To resolve that, a set of air flow louvers (that can be adjusted externaly) was placed inside on a panel between the filters, so that the static pressure could be increase or decreased by opening or closing the metal louvers.

Once constructed, a "magnahelic gauge" was used to deterime a flow of 100 cfm & the louver dial was marked, so the flow could be set at that.

The purpose was 2 fold. At the 100 cfm mark, the unit could be used as a laminar flow hood work station.

The second function, was that with the louvers wide open, the unit runs about 2000 cfm, with is great for cleaning all the air in an enclosed room in a very short time.

You can often find a real spendy magnahelic gauge on eBay, for cheap. My foaf acquired his for $22 off eBay.

6T (aka Mycota)

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: HEPA's etc. [Re: SixTango]
    #1351716 - 03/05/03 07:24 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

>was used to deterime a flow of 100 cfm

I?m sure you mean 100 feet / min .

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1352366 - 03/05/03 12:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

how does one go about establishing laminar flow? how important is this?

Laminar flow is flow that is nonturbulant. A nice steady flowing river is laminar, a rough river full of rapids is turbulant. It is pretty important. When a particle of matter hits the laminar flow, it is quickly whisked away before gravity can pull it down into what you are working upon. If the flow is turbulant, then it is full of eddies, backdrafts, etc. A particle can actually be whisked backwards into what you are working upon, rather than away.

To create a laminar flow, make sure that there is nothing in the flow that will create turbulance. In a river, the rocks on the bottom create the rapids. The bigger the rocks, the bigger the rapids. Lots of little turbulance is better than a little bit of big turbulance. If you put a lit stick of incense in front of your flow, you should see the smoke stream away from the filter in tight line. If the smokes billows about, while in the flow, then you probably have problems.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: HEPA's etc. [Re: Seuss]
    #1352540 - 03/05/03 01:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

just to clarify, I AM aware of what laminar flow is. in fact I've studied rather intensely in the field of physics. let me clarify why i asked my question. i have studied fluid dynamics and here you will learn that turbulence is a result of too much "flow" for a given vessel (pipe, conduit, whatever). i am not abundantly knowledgeable concerning the dynamics of moving air (beyond bernoulli and terminal velocity). is there a point of too much air movement where the flow, by default, becomes turbulent? is there a minmal amount of airflow required for a laminar flow? it seems to me that an open faced flow"box" would not necessarily be laminar. it seems that some manner of a hood or flow directing skirts would be necessary to offset the effects of ambient convection. It seems to me that flow would only be laminar for a very specific distance past the output but the abovementioned hoods/skirts would increase that distance. that is where the math i was speaking of comes in. one would need some numbers to properly design these hoods/skirts. are you guys are telling me that all i have to do is setup a box with an output face roughly 2'X2' and blow air out it at ~100ft per minute and i have a laminar flow given a certain distance. if so, i have already achieved that. it seemed to me that additional "acouterments" would be required to establish a TRULY laminar flow.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Incense, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology