Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: Genetic Engineering of Crops and You. [Re: plustax]
    #13840631 - 01/24/11 03:42 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

plustax said:
7 years old people

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: Genetic Engineering of Crops and You. [Re: Humility]
    #13840652 - 01/24/11 04:05 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

WHY HAVE I NOT BEEN TAKEN OVER BY A POD PERSON YET?

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Genetic Engineering of Crops and You. [Re: DieCommie]
    #13843713 - 01/24/11 06:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

With that said I am all fore producing and manipulating food to increase yields and resistance to disease.

Humans have been doing this for thousands of years.  Other animals do it too.  Its not as unnatural as some make it seem.

Yep, percisely.

Much of the debate over things involving genetics seems to stem from ignorance or very limited perspective  (i.e. I've never heard anyone besides the vatican who knows dick about cell biology and genetics try and claim 'the moment of conception' defines the begining of a person, yet this is a very popular belief amongst the 'man on the street').

A useful question for things like this, however; is to note that some of it is indeed a false choice.  Since we cannot stop genetic technology and things such as this, then does it really make sense to argue whether we should "allow" it?  Moreover, what justification is there for even speaking of whether to "allow" these technologies?  Who exactly has that right, and what justification is their for the premise that a technology needs some affirmative consent from this "decider" to come into being?

To me, this seems entirely backwards as it is almost universely recognized that you have no right to limit my actions to those you consent to. 

The better question might be:  "Should we attempt to forcefully restrict or stop biotechnology? How could we do that? Which ones and why?"

The later question seems to frame the question much more in line with reality.  When the premises of the discussion don't match reality, you start to get less than useful results (I'd refer back to the catholics and invite those curious to read some of the catechisms on biothecnology and the catholic philosophy underpinning it... quite a stretch, to say the least)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order