Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
treasure coast 1st flush
    #1349642 - 03/04/03 11:53 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

hey everyone,

his mycobag cake (it was removed and placed in a terrarium) finally pinned nearly a week ago. the mushrooms grew well for a few days. lots of them started aborting though. then more... and more...
only 3 have made it to complete maturity (they are really big - at least 8 inches tall and about 3/4 inch wide). despite it being the first grow and first flush, he was REALLY sad that this prolific fruiting strain aborted so much. he read up about aborts and finally figured out that EXCESS CO2 must be the problem. so, for the past couple days, he has been giving the cake MUCH better air exchange; this seems to have been the problem too - now the few remaining pins that did NOT abort are at least looking healthy, though really small.

so, i think he hurt the first flush pretty badly... he hopes the second will make up for it? he has a couple general questions:
1. after a flush completes, how long in general does it take for the second flush's pins to appear?
2. had he cased the mycobag instead, would (assuming co2 and humidity are good) he have gotten a far better flush? also for casings, is contamination a big deal? (can something that has no nutrients, like a casing, even contaminate? or am i unclear about casings?)

thanks for the help and support

peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: treasure coast 1st flush [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #1349795 - 03/04/03 12:47 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

1. oh, a couple days to a couple of weeks, all depends. usually the first flush is accompanied by some really small pins that will eventually become the second flush. depends of fruiting conditions.
2. Yes, you probably would have gotten a bigger flush, assuming nothing went wrong. and yes casings can still contaminate, but once the myc has been established its usually hearty enough to ward of contams, plus casings are much more maintenence friendly than mycobags, and in my opinion, even brf cakes.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: treasure coast 1st flush [Re: soochi]
    #1349840 - 03/04/03 01:00 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

after this flush is over, he will be gone on spring break for a few weeks and needs to know how to 'preserve' his cake until he gets back and preps it for the second flush. he was thinking about doing this:
cleaning off ALL remaining pins after the first flush finishes (if these pins are part of the second flush, will he be doing something bad?), and then putting the cake in a contam-free plastic bag with an air filter so the CO2 doesnt cannot up. then he will put it somewhere dark so no pins form while he is away. when he gets back, he plans to dunk the cake in a water+h2o2 solution and then initiate the second flush. does this sound like a good plan?
thanks!

Offlinetsimpikao
PermanentVacation

#1349856 - 03/04/03 01:04 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Hoh much did his mycobag wielded?

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
    #1349865 - 03/04/03 01:07 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

If you can, put it somewhere a little colder (like 60-65 F). This should slow growth... someone correct me please if I'm mistaken.

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: treasure coast 1st flush [Re: ClosetCase]
    #1350499 - 03/04/03 05:48 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

thanks for the info.
his mycobag cake so far has yielded nothing but aborts. there are, however, 3 BIG mushrooms that are starting to tear their veils and will be harvested shortly. is it possible to get a mushroom that weighs over 1g dry? since he so far only has THREE, he is really hoping they weigh a lot...
he is pretty sad about this low-yielding tc flush...
but he hopes that a good h2o+h2o2 dunk and much better air-exchange will lead to a more satisfying second flush...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation