Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
USA - Teachers may get involved in childhood obesity
    #13492767 - 11/16/10 01:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ms. Smith sends a note home with third-grader Bobby Jones.

Dear Ms. Jones:

Your son is fucking tub-o-lard, a regular Pigmalion. Get him off the goddamned Doritos and Gummi Bears or face civil penalties.

Kind Regards,

Ms. Elizabeth Smith
Boring Elementary School, Dullsville, USA

Should the government and the school system get involved in child obesity?

Some say that child obesity is a form of parental abuse.

Your thoughts?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomerette
Stranger
Loc: Flag
Re: USA - Teachers may get involved in childhood obesity [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13492785 - 11/16/10 01:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I really don't know, I do kinda feel like it is child abuse but I don't think that legal repercussions is the way to go.  I'm sure some kids will be fat even if they eat healthy and it isn't fair to punish the parents for that.

It would be good if the government and schools would get involved to combat obesity, but mainly by doing more physical education classes and feeding them healthy things while they're at school.

--------------------
Leaving the shroomery forever

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: USA - Teachers may get involved in childhood obesity [Re: Shroomerette]
    #13492799 - 11/16/10 01:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I'm sure some kids will be fat even if they eat healthy and it isn't fair to punish the parents for that.

Are you saying that some kids can violate the laws of thermodynamics?

If one's caloric intake exceeds their caloric expenditure then one will gain weight, whether the food is 'healthy' or 'junk'.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#13492808 - 11/16/10 01:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I would be good if the schools didnt serve crappy obesity promoting food and didnt keep kids locked to their desks all day.  My high school actually sold candy and soda, yea - thats real conducive to learning.  :rolleyes:

Otherwise, you cant legislate and enforce away poor parenting.  You might be able to convince me it is abuse though.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: USA - Teachers may get involved in childhood obesity [Re: DieCommie]
    #13492825 - 11/16/10 01:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

You might be able to convince me it is abuse though.

I could slap you until you agree.

--------------------

OfflineShroomerette
Stranger
    #13492866 - 11/16/10 01:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

I'm sure some kids will be fat even if they eat healthy and it isn't fair to punish the parents for that.

If one's caloric intake exceeds their caloric expenditure then one will gain weight, whether the food is 'healthy' or 'junk'.

I'm saying some people are just fat :shrug: but I agree with your point.  It should be especially easy for children to stay in shape as long as you don't let them come home and sit in front of the tv/computer until they go to bed.

Personally, I fully believe that exercise is the solution, not cutting calories.

--------------------

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
    #13492899 - 11/16/10 01:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yet again obamunism strikes, you are too stupid to take care of yourself or your kids.  My friends mom made cupcakes for a grade school halloween party for her granddaughter.  They denied the cupcakes because they were too fattening.  WTF!?  Just as much unhealthy eats back in the day, baby boomers weren't struggling with child obesity.  Anyone here who says," the gov needs to control our childrens diet," and also says" you should be allowed to put whatever drug in your body," is a Hypocrite with a capital H.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#13492936 - 11/16/10 01:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, teachers should be involved.  They spend an enormous amount of time with kids, know them well, and should take an active role.

This is entirely separate from punishing and or arresting parents.  That is a separate matter.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineShroomerette
Stranger
Re: USA - Teachers may get involved in childhood obesity [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #13492968 - 11/16/10 02:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mush 4 Brains said:
Yet again obamunism strikes, you are too stupid to take care of yourself or your kids.  My friends mom made cupcakes for a grade school halloween party for her granddaughter.  They denied the cupcakes because they were too fattening.  WTF!?  Just as much unhealthy eats back in the day, baby boomers weren't struggling with child obesity.  Anyone here who says," the gov needs to control our childrens diet," and also says" you should be allowed to put whatever drug in your body," is a Hypocrite with a capital H.

I think you are a little confused about your comparison.  Do kids deserve to grow up with diabetes because nobody made any effort to encourage them to follow a healthy lifestyle?  I should be allowed to put whatever drugs I want into my body as long as I am an adult.  That doesn't mean I should be allowed to give my kids drugs too...

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#13493000 - 11/16/10 02:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The easiest solution is to let kids eat whatever they want and then introduce them to the slimming effects of meth.

--------------------

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

#13493036 - 11/16/10 02:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i think you are the one who is confused.  Any former fat kid will tell you, exercising is the most important.  Answer this question, should the proposed sin tax be put on candy and soda?  They arent just controlling our childrens diets.  Food was arguably more unhealthy than it is today, i mean they used to deep fry using lard.  Yet childhood obesity was not close to what it is today.  And yes clearly im supporting cocaine for second graders.

Edited by Mush 4 Brains (11/16/10 02:23 PM)

OfflineShroomerette
Stranger
    #13493084 - 11/16/10 02:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mush 4 Brains said:
i think you are the one who is confused.  Any former fat kid will tell you, exercising is the most important.  Answer this question, should the proposed sin tax be put on candy and soda?  They arent just controlling are childrens diets.  And yes clearly im supporting cocaine for second graders.

Wtf are you talking about?

--------------------

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

#13493098 - 11/16/10 02:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

you clearly want big bro looking out for you.. seriously wtf are you talking about.  read slower hon it'll make sense

Edited by Mush 4 Brains (11/18/10 07:08 AM)

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

#13493838 - 11/16/10 04:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"Do kids deserve to grow up with diabetes because nobody made any effort to encourage them to follow a healthy lifestyle? "

Encourage, you mean force.  Encouraging  good eating habits isnt something new or unheard of.  Nobody says," hey kid grab a double down sandwhich, an energy drink and finish it off by snorting a pixie stick."  You apparently want the gov to take care of your children because you cant.  How come back in the day, childhood obesity was much more uncommon than today?  Even though the gov didnt step in and "protect" us from ourselves.  Cough cough, parent involvement.  Now the gov is mommy and daddy.  Ive heard my highschool took out candy and soda machines.  All that means for students - lukewarm soda and melted chocolate.  We all know how well prohibition works.

InvisibleDieCommie

#13493871 - 11/16/10 04:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Dont equate the school not selling junk food to banning junk food - those are completely different things.  Schools should not be selling junk food, thats not in any way prohibition.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #13493908 - 11/16/10 04:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Should the government and the school system get involved in child obesity?

It's an epidemic, so sure, why not? :shrug:

I don't think that parents should be punished, but I do think that some sort of governmental intervention could be helpful. :fatbastard:

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Some say that child obesity is a form of parental abuse.

Your thoughts?

I don't think that's necessarily true.

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

:curbyourenthusiasm:

Quote:

DieCommie said:
I would be good if the schools didnt serve crappy obesity promoting food and didnt keep kids locked to their desks all day.

What are you suggesting, that PE should be lengthened and be made more strict?

Quote:

DieCommie said:
My high school actually sold candy and soda, yea - thats real conducive to learning.  :rolleyes:

My high school stopped selling sodas when I was in like 11th grade, and I was pissed because I didn't think it was fair for everyone to not have access to sodas just because of the fat kids (I've never been fat, have tried, and have never succeeded--it's just impossible for me to get fat). In retrospect, I think that attitude was sorta selfish, because eliminating soda machines actually helps the fat kids out a lot; all I had to do to get a soda if I wanted one was go to the store across the street from my school anyways, so there was no real reason for me to complain.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Edited by Poid (11/16/10 05:15 PM)

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

#13493945 - 11/16/10 05:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

they are just gonna tax junkfood and soda out of existence... a passive aggressive form of prohibition imo

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #13493973 - 11/16/10 05:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Who are "they"?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

#13493986 - 11/16/10 05:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I hate cigarettes, but is it right to tax them till they're $10  a pack?  Umm fuck no.  Or alcohol, 60% of alcohol price is tax.  Yet will that truly stop anyone from smoking/drinking?

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

#13493999 - 11/16/10 05:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"they"  are liberals in power

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds