Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMADSHROOMER
Stranger
Loc: Canada
I'm new to this, and need advice on a few things.
    #1347020 - 03/02/03 03:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, I just bought 4 syringes, tapalpa, equadorian, amazonian, and b+. From each syringes I innoc 11 pint jars of brf and one honey water (to cheap to buy more syringes). SO all in all I have 44 pftek pint jars and 4 honeywater.

I've fruited pftek jars before and am comfortable with it. Now however I want to try casings. Can anyone recamend the 8 best casing methods so I can try all of them and dtermine what works best for me? Oh yeah, and I know I should by some rye berries or popcorn or whatever to use as spawn, but everything was closed and I couldn't wait to get started. Damn impatience.

I also want to try one LARGE assed dung straw casing measureing 2ft by 4ft by 6 inches. Anyone jhave any guesses at the potential yield of that casing?

I figure with this many jars I can try a few different things at once (such as that ziplock bag tek I just read), and just compare the reults for myself.

Anyone happen to know which of my 4 strains colonizes quickest, or is the most prolific fruiter?

Thanks

Madshroomer

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I'm new to this, and need advice on a few things. [Re: MADSHROOMER]
    #1347042 - 03/02/03 03:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I mean, there is one way to do a casing. You crumble the cakes, and then add a layer of a nutrient-free medium like peat, coco coir, vermeculite...

This is placed into a container with dark sides to keep the light only on the top of the casing. You incubate the casing until there is small amounts of mycelium popping up through the top.

Set this into fruiting after its colonized a bit...say 30-40% of the casing. Fruiting conditions are pretty similar to cakes, but you will want to reduce humidity after pins have formed to about 90%. Its not really a big deal though.

You could also SPAWN your cakes into manure which would just give you a larger nutrient based substrate for you to make larger casings. Manure is probably hte best way to go. After 100% colonization you then will add a casing and do what I said above.

OfflineGrim420
Lurker.. Explorer
Male User Gallery

#1347043 - 03/02/03 03:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

My dog's imaginary friend thinks Tapalpa colonizes pretty quickly, also EQ...

She has a zip-lock that has almost fully colonized in 4 days, using 1 colonized 1/2 pint to 2 pre-sterilized 1/2 pints.... pretty exciting....

as for casing.... I like the 60/40 verm/coir casing... can get coir at Pet Smart.

Good luck!

peace

--------------------
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny. - Stephen Hawking

OfflineMADSHROOMER
Stranger
Re: I'm new to this, and need advice on a few things. [Re: Grim420]
    #1347055 - 03/02/03 03:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I know there are many ways do do casings, I just want the best 8 or so recamended so I can spawn my cakes to say 8 different trays using 8 different methods and be the judge myself as to my preference.]

I also want to know the potential yield of a traw that is 2ft by 4ft by 6 inches if I spawn to poo and straw at a depth of say 3 inches.

OfflineTrife
shroomin' n00b(for now)
Loc: East Coast, USA
    #1347495 - 03/02/03 07:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I know there are many ways do do casings, I just want the best 8 or so recamended so I can spawn my cakes to say 8 different trays using 8 different methods and be the judge myself as to my preference.]

I also want to know the potential yield of a traw that is 2ft by 4ft by 6 inches if I spawn to poo and straw at a depth of say 3 inches.

Since you must know about the yeilds, it could be as little as nothing at all, and at most be 10 pounds. There.

Might wanna search on casing techniques.

--------------------
I dream of rain...........

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
Re: I'm new to this, and need advice on a few things. [Re: Trife]
    #1347657 - 03/02/03 09:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I agree w/ trife, could be nothing, could be a big ass harvest. it depends on too many things.read up on some different teks and see what works best for you. i know that sounds like a shitty answer but every one has luck w/ different things. i've heard straight verm is the easiest casing, maybe not the best but easy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation