Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street
    #13466656 - 11/11/10 12:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So for 4 months I lived in California in an RV, most of that time parked on the side of the street in a neighborhlood in San Diego called Ocean Beach.  I went to the ocean everyday...I could see and smell it anytime I wanted to.  I didn't have electricity or running water, so I just used little lights when it got dark, and collected water from water fountains and 25cent refill stations.  I went to a local gym everyday to take showers in a communal stall, or just swam in the ocean and used the beach showers.  It was hot in the summer so many nights I was hot and muggy/sweaty, while at evening in the fall sometimes it was too cold.

I frequented coffee shops and the library for internet, and my life revolved around making sure I was able to maintain battery life for my computer, my phone and my hand-held blender, and where the nearest public bathroom was while I was out walking around.  I walked everywhere; it was easier then driving.  Every 3 days we had to move the RV to a new place in the city, because since summer was over, the cops had started hassling people who slept on the street.  We found out that if you answer an officer at the door with shoes on, the cops can't accuse you of sleeping in your van/rv and make you leave.  In addition to the cops, it was a constant battle to keep the tweakers or other street folk from stealing your shit or taking advantage.  One desperate man tried to sell me "weed" that was actually just plain kitchen herbs.  He must have thought I was ignorant about high quality cannabis.  That stuff wasn't pot.  Many times at time I would get woken up by screaming and crazy drunk people.  Fun stuff happens when you are more exposed to street life.  Life is automatically more exciting. 

ANYWAY...so now I'm in an apartment.  I have running water and electricity, not to mention 2 bedrooms, a huge living room and bathroom.  I have constant internet at my fingertips; no more being subject to the fluctuating hours of public places for my Net use.  I have as much computer power as I want, all the time, or take a shower anytime I want.  My air is constantly any temperature I like.  I can't believe how huge this place is after living in an RV.  I feel like it's huge...I don't need this much space. And it's quiet ~ sometimes too quiet.  It's so quiet that the tiniest of noises disturb me, but when I was street-sleeping in the city, there was noise around me ALL the time.  I got used to it.  It lulled me...

I'm uneasy with this change.  I miss the RV street-sleeping lifestyle.  I miss having to "rough it."  I miss my survival system, the regular pattern I was in.  I miss feeling on the edge, and like I was living life with more simplicity and honesty. 

I don't know if I can take all this civilization crap.  :crankey:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoSedLiving
 User Gallery
Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: MOTH]
    #13466689 - 11/11/10 12:22 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

NEED MOOR DRUUGS

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: DoSedLiving]
    #13466692 - 11/11/10 12:24 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My house is freezing.  I wish i could control the air temperature.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineMr.Pink
has the bag of diamonds
Female User Gallery

Loc: TL - DR
Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: MOTH]
    #13466695 - 11/11/10 12:24 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

lol!  Hell I'd say save up the money you would use for bills and rent and hook yourself up with a nice rv.  Sounds like you could save alot of money and never have a chance to be bored.  So many people stay couped up at home when they could be out experiencing life before they wake up 60 yrs old not being able to get around like they used to.

--------------------
How did you get out? I shot my way out... everybody started shooting so I blasted my way out. . . . Tagged a couple of cops. . . . Did you kill anybody? ...a few cops. No real people? ....just cops

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Loc: Α & Ω Flag
    #13466705 - 11/11/10 12:27 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I felt very similar after coming back from traveling in Belize, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. I had been sleeping on the ground outside in mosquito nets listening to wild animals crash about, lying in my sweat, and waking up to the sun baking my skin like a turkey. It was a big shock at first, but once I adapted I felt so alive. It was beautiful.

I came back to civilization and found myself in perfectly controlled, sterile, mundane environments where the mind is forced into other reality tunnels somewhere other than here and now. And despite having everything in the whole world, I left smiling poverty in the wilderness to grumpy fucks in the city.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: truekimbo2]
    #13466709 - 11/11/10 12:27 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DoSedLiving said:
NEED MOOR DRUUGS

A powerful psychedelic might help me "settle in" more, but at the same time I'm not sure I want to.  I feel like I was more in harmony with the natural world when I lived in the RV. 

Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
My house is freezing.  I wish i could control the air temperature.

It seems great but I can't handle all this power.  How do I decide what to make the temperature?  I'm either too hot, or too cold when I control it.  I like that before, Nature always chose for me, and I just had to suck it up and deal.  That suited me.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: Arden]
    #13466722 - 11/11/10 12:29 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Arden said:
I felt very similar after coming back from traveling in Belize, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. I had been sleeping on the ground outside in mosquito nets listening to wild animals crash about, lying in my sweat, and waking up to the sun baking my skin like a turkey. It was a big shock at first, but once I adapted I felt so alive. It was beautiful.

I came back to civilization and found myself in perfectly controlled, sterile, mundane environments where the mind is forced into other reality tunnels somewhere other than here and now. And despite having everything in the whole world, I left smiling poverty in the wilderness to grumpy fucks in the city.

Yeah, I figured there would be some Shroomerites here who could relate.  I feel like I have culture/lifestyle shock.  I know I should be grateful to have an apartment (it's basically free to live here) but I just really preferred the other way...

Offlinedestructo_low
Oh yeah!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13466800 - 11/11/10 12:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I actually plan on getting a nice 28ft to 30ft rv to park on an acre I buy somewhere. It would be a cheap and comfy first house.

--------------------
There is a molecule for every purpose. There are only actions and reactions. Cut out the middle men. Everything I say is a lie.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: destructo_low]
    #13466820 - 11/11/10 01:01 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

destructo_low said:
I actually plan on getting a nice 28ft to 30ft rv to park on an acre I buy somewhere. It would be a cheap and comfy first house.

That sounds really ideal.  Rock on man.  I enjoyed RV life.  You learn to appreciate what you have in a new way.

InvisibleJesusGoneRogue
 User Gallery
    #13466968 - 11/11/10 02:04 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
So for 4 months I lived in California in an RV, most of that time parked on the side of the street in a neighborhlood in San Diego called Ocean Beach.  I went to the ocean everyday...I could see and smell it anytime I wanted to.  I didn't have electricity or running water, so I just used little lights when it got dark, and collected water from water fountains and 25cent refill stations.  I went to a local gym everyday to take showers in a communal stall, or just swam in the ocean and used the beach showers.  It was hot in the summer so many nights I was hot and muggy/sweaty, while at evening in the fall sometimes it was too cold.

I frequented coffee shops and the library for internet, and my life revolved around making sure I was able to maintain battery life for my computer, my phone and my hand-held blender, and where the nearest public bathroom was while I was out walking around.  I walked everywhere; it was easier then driving.  Every 3 days we had to move the RV to a new place in the city, because since summer was over, the cops had started hassling people who slept on the street.  We found out that if you answer an officer at the door with shoes on, the cops can't accuse you of sleeping in your van/rv and make you leave.  In addition to the cops, it was a constant battle to keep the tweakers or other street folk from stealing your shit or taking advantage.  One desperate man tried to sell me "weed" that was actually just plain kitchen herbs.  He must have thought I was ignorant about high quality cannabis.  That stuff wasn't pot.  Many times at time I would get woken up by screaming and crazy drunk people.  Fun stuff happens when you are more exposed to street life.  Life is automatically more exciting. 

ANYWAY...so now I'm in an apartment.  I have running water and electricity, not to mention 2 bedrooms, a huge living room and bathroom.  I have constant internet at my fingertips; no more being subject to the fluctuating hours of public places for my Net use.  I have as much computer power as I want, all the time, or take a shower anytime I want.  My air is constantly any temperature I like.  I can't believe how huge this place is after living in an RV.  I feel like it's huge...I don't need this much space. And it's quiet ~ sometimes too quiet.  It's so quiet that the tiniest of noises disturb me, but when I was street-sleeping in the city, there was noise around me ALL the time.  I got used to it.  It lulled me...

I'm uneasy with this change.  I miss the RV street-sleeping lifestyle.  I miss having to "rough it."  I miss my survival system, the regular pattern I was in.  I miss feeling on the edge, and like I was living life with more simplicity and honesty. 

i could get use to this lifestyle. only with more drugs. gotta have my weed.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: JesusGoneRogue]
    #13466975 - 11/11/10 02:09 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

JesusGoneRogue said:
Quote:

MOTH said:

i could get use to this lifestyle. only with more drugs. gotta have my weed.

haha..

I had some of the most psychedelic, mind-blowing and amazing moments in that RV and the place around it, wherever we were.  :heart:

Besides, it's just really cool to get to move your house around with you everywhere you go.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#13466981 - 11/11/10 02:11 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

There was weed EVERYWHERE in California...people would smoke joints instead of cigs outside of clubs and bars.

Invisiblecollie man
Jai guru deva om
Male User Gallery

#13466995 - 11/11/10 02:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I didnt really read the wall of text, but i would much rather live in a RV. That shit would be epic to drive around the country, Mexico, Canada, south America, and still have a place to call your own.

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

#13467129 - 11/11/10 03:44 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Aren't you moving to Puna/Big Island soonish?  You'll dig it in Puna if you are into the whole idea of roughing it.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #13467196 - 11/11/10 04:29 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The change is hard to deal with, but I find that I just have to make my apartments/houses
more fun!  I turn my living space into conceptual art pieces, and that end up taking up a lot of
time that I could be bored.

RV/gypsy life is brilliant, and I'll never forget the times I spent living as such... Driving around
changing it up.  I hit 38 states one summer.  I'll probably do it again someday when I'm
restless :dancing:

hehe

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#13467320 - 11/11/10 05:48 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

What prompted you to move back into an apartment?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: badchad]
    #13467847 - 11/11/10 09:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

1d10t3k said:
Aren't you moving to Puna/Big Island soonish?  You'll dig it in Puna if you are into the whole idea of roughing it.

Yes, but I have to finish a training program before I can go. 

Quote:

badchad said:
What prompted you to move back into an apartment?

I'm not sure exactly.  We wanted to get some training programs done before Hawaii, and the apartment is basically free.  (partner's family owns them)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: Todcasil]
    #13467992 - 11/11/10 09:58 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Todcasil said:
The change is hard to deal with, but I find that I just have to make my apartments/houses
more fun!  I turn my living space into conceptual art pieces, and that end up taking up a lot of
time that I could be bored.

Yeah, that's the idea I've been having.  Well, I have all this space...I have wanting to make huge wall maps for my novel.  And I have space for an altar now, which I am thrilled about.

OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

Loc: Detroit
    #13468021 - 11/11/10 10:05 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

man, living in an RV/on the street sounds awesome. i wish i could do that. I mean, I'm sure its hard and that atleast some of you guys that have done it have done it out of necessity, not just "because", but still, the lifestyle sounds appealing.

I'm in college right now though. the lifestyles arent really compatible :undecided:.

hopefully at some point in my life i can do it. maybe i'll be forced into it haha. who knows? nowadays it seems like everyone goes to college and nobody has a job so i might get my wish haha

--------------------
Kick is seeing things from a special angle. Kick is momentary freedom from the claims of the aging, cautious, nagging, frightened flesh. Maybe I will find in yage what I was looking for in junk and weed and coke. Yage may be the final fix.

~William S. Burroughs

OfflinePandor
Female

Re: Living in a big apartment community vs living in an RV on the street [Re: StaleShrooms]
    #13468042 - 11/11/10 10:10 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I envy you. I need to do something like that.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale