Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
"Creative Destruction"??? ...and the doctrine of "total war"
    #1346526 - 03/02/03 11:25 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

from the Guardian:

Brian Whitaker explains what 'creative destruction' and 'total war' mean in the context of current US foreign policy

Monday February 24, 2003

Faced with obstruction from the French and Germans, ransom demands from the Turks, and opposition from millions of demonstrators around the world, the desired invasion of Iraq has fallen behind schedule.
But not to worry. The process of selecting the next candidates for regime change is already under way.

In a meeting with American congressmen last week, the Israeli prime minister, Ariel Sharon, nominated three countries to be tackled after Iraq: Iran, Libya and Syria.

Mr Sharon also met John Bolton, the US under secretary of state, who reportedly told him that it will be "necessary" to deal with Syria, Iran and North Korea after an attack on Iraq. That puts Syria and Iran into the lead with two votes each, followed by Libya and North Korea, with only one.

The attraction of this approach is easy to see. After Afghanistan and Iraq, conquering Syria and Iran would create an unbroken chain of puppet regimes stretching from the Mediterranean to China.

Elsewhere in the Middle East, Palestinian regime change, or rather regime dismantling, has begun. Yasser Arafat is now more or less written off, although there is nobody to replace him, which suits Mr Sharon just fine. The Saudis are also being targeted and, ultimately, Egypt will be, too.

While all this may be sold to the public, and to gullible leaders such as Tony Blair, on the basis of specific issues, such as suicide bombings in the case of the Palestinians, the vision driving US policy under the president, George Bush, is far broader.

The two key phrases are "creative destruction" and "total war". Writing in National Review Online, Michael Ledeen, one of the US's leading rightwing ideologues, explained: "We should have no misgivings about our ability to destroy tyrannies. It is what we do best.

"It comes naturally to us, for we are the one truly revolutionary country in the world, as we have been for more than 200 years. Creative destruction is our middle name. We do it automatically, and that is precisely why the tyrants hate us and are driven to attack us."

The concept of total war, which is also espoused by Mr Ledeen, was elaborated upon in the same publication by Adam Mersereau, a former Marine Corps officer.

He contrasted total war with "limited" war, in which military force is used to achieve a particular foreign policy objective "without mobilising the entire nation, and while minimising casualties".

"By total war," he wrote, "I mean the kind of warfare that not only destroys the enemy's military forces, but also brings the enemy society to an extremely personal point of decision, so that they are willing to accept a reversal of the cultural trends that spawned the war in the first place.

"A total war strategy does not have to include the intentional targeting of civilians, but the sparing of civilian lives cannot be its first priority ... The purpose of total war is to permanently force your will onto another people group.

"Limited war pits combatants against combatants, while total war pits nation against nation, and even culture against culture."

This sort of thing may strike the average non-American as power-crazed and mad (and, before the emails start flooding in from the US, I should add that many Americans find it abhorrent, too). However, the real point is not whether such ideas are mad, it is the amount of influence that they have on policy.

Many of the total war and creative destruction crowd get their ideas across to the public through an agency called Benador Associates, which arranges their TV appearances and speaking engagements, and helps to place their articles in newspapers.

The agency, which has offices in New York, London and Paris, is run by Eleana Benador, a Peruvian-born linguist. Since I last wrote about Ms Benador (US thinktanks give lessons in foreign policy World dispatch, August 19 2002), her business seems to have expanded remarkably.

She has added 10 more "experts" to her list of clients and, on February 13, hosted a free lunch for a question and answer session with the Pentagon's leading hardline adviser, Richard Perle.

In addition, she has started a mailing service, through which subscribers receive, free of charge, up to six daily articles. Anyone who wishes to monitor the developing thoughts of America's neo-conservatives, and can resist being offended by the content, will find a subscription informative.'

rest of article

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsilo25
The one stuck inthe middle ofthis hopelessmess.

Loc: over here
Re: "Creative Destruction"??? ...and the doctrine of "total war" [Re: ruskifile]
    #1346669 - 03/02/03 12:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The attraction of this approach is easy to see. After Afghanistan and Iraq, conquering Syria and Iran would create an unbroken chain of puppet regimes stretching from the Mediterranean to China.

So who exactly should we be worried about seeking world domination?

--------------------
Stand up for your freedoms, join the fight against the War on Drugs!

www.drcnet.org
www.drugpolicyalliance.org
www.drugsense.org

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
Re: "Creative Destruction"??? ...and the doctrine of "total [Re: ruskifile]
    #1348001 - 03/03/03 04:47 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

What really caught me was the idea of Total War, especially "brings the enemy society to an extremely personal point of decision, so that they are willing to accept a reversal of the cultural trends that spawned the war in the first place.". Just what does that mean? Embrace invasion or else? Isn't this the EXACT same message the terrorist have sent America, embrace Islamic edicts or else? I thought that the fight was against dictatorship, not against a population enslaved by one. One of the strongest platforms the U.S. had in the twentieth century was human rights and now that has been replaced by an American fascism. Not that the pressing for human rights around the world was ever well executed mind you, but it was a fundamental idea, one that now seems secondary at best. The biggest sin is to become like your enemies.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Anonymous

Re: "Creative Destruction"??? ...and the doctrine of "total war" [Re: ruskifile]
    #1348855 - 03/03/03 11:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The Civil War in Amnerica, also called "The War of Northern Aggression" proves that total war works, as does WWII with Japan and the United States.

Can a total war be waged and won against Iraq?

No one knows.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: "Creative Destruction"??? ...and the doctrine of "total war" [Re: ]
    #1348941 - 03/03/03 11:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

total war works

might is right?

it certainly works but...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion