Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCaptainAhab

Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: kechlesurf]
    #13450379 - 11/07/10 07:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

When will you wake up and realize that reality includes real life? I'm trying to discourage the op from taking it easy on himself, and to try and get into a tough school. To be all that he can be, if you will. You have a problem with this, apparently, and are taking personal offense to my opinions, that have nothing to do with you. Why is it that you don't like what I have to say, exactly? Last I checked, parents want the best for their kids. They want them in the best schools, trying as hard as they can, and getting ahead in life... not wasting time with people that aren't going anywhere. You'll probably take offense to that, too.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekechlesurf
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: CaptainAhab] * 1
    #13450438 - 11/07/10 07:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was taking offense that you are saying every school except an Ivy league school is crap.  Every school has easy majors that do not offer much challenge, and I am not disagreeing with you original point, I fully agree with that point.

OfflineCaptainAhab

#13450454 - 11/07/10 07:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't say "ivy league." I said "California Ivy," which is a synonym of "Public Ivy" to people in California. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

It's not cool to call people names, either. I am opinionated, like I said previously, but that doesn't give you the right to talk shit to me like you did. I reported it to the mods.

--------------------

Offlinekechlesurf
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: CaptainAhab] * 1
    #13455045 - 11/08/10 05:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, you really are a little kid, probably 20, maybe 21, but yeah, you have experience with the real world, real life experience.  You obviously pay all your own bills.

And when I talk shit to you, you get all pissy all call the mods, but when you talk down to me like i live in a trailor, it is ok.  You are still a little kid who doesnt know shit about life, keep living off of your parents, you are so much better than the kids who got to college and work their ass off to pay for it.

OfflineAlbinoMonk
Stranger
    #13455095 - 11/08/10 05:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey man this isnt exactly 'some easy school' their acceptance rate is only 77%. That really isnt that much. I hope I make it.

OfflineHuHEN
I am the Owl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Highlands Flag
Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: AlbinoMonk]
    #13455108 - 11/08/10 06:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Warren Wilsons motto is "We're not for everyone, but then, maybe you're not everyone." CaptainAhab is clearly everyone.

--------------------

OfflineCaptainAhab

#13455257 - 11/08/10 06:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not going to dignify you with a response. I will say this to everyone reading, though, so that they can learn from it. Kechelsurf has the reasoning and opinions of someone who resents other people. It's quite obvious. Sometimes you run into these people, who for whatever reason, think that they got shorted in life somewhere along the line. This causes them to lash out at other people who seem to have it better than they do. The typical comeback they have to any kind of argument involving class, status, education, or money, is that the "working class" guy is better than someone who didn't have to go through what they did. I've seen it a thousand times. Usually, poor people have it, or people who didn't achieve in life what they really wanted. I essence, it's a defeatist attitude.

If you'll read back through the postings, you'll see my point. He called me a douche for saying that the point of an education isn't to take a 4 year break from real life, and get high all the time. Yeah, that makes sense (shaking my head). I come back at him and say that his type of attitude leads nowhere, and that he should be supporting the op to go to a hard school. Again, kechelsurf comes back with more insults. I reiterate how important it is for people to try hard. Kechelsurf comes back with his poor me story and tries to insinuate that my parents pay for everything (this guy doesn't even know me). You see, what he thinks is that:
1. Because he went to a state school he's inferior in some way
2. Because he had to work to get through school, and probably came from a poor family, that people who go to good schools are all rich and live off their families.
3. He resents people that come from good homes, and resents people that go to good schools even more... and he especially resents people who will do better than he did in real life.

It's sad that his attitude and reasoning are so off, it really is. I think that people, instead of arguing and putting people down, should work together to help one another. I certainly tried my best to help the op make an informed, smart decision. But, you can't change people. I'm not going to try and change kechelsurf. But, I will say that he needs to reconsider his attitude... because it's glaringly obvious where he's coming from to people who are familiar with arguments like his. I hope that the mods lock this thread, because no doubt, we'll just see more insults, cussing, and condescension from kechelsurf. In a way, I hope that they don't, though. Because I'm happy to peacefully disagree with him and voice my opinion about this subject until the cows come home, and none of what I'm doing is against forum policy. So bring it on, kechelsmurf. Show everyone how little you really know about the real world.

--------------------

OfflineCaptainAhab

Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: CaptainAhab]
    #13455418 - 11/08/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone even read about this school? It's in the middle of nowhere, has 900 students, and according to the Princeton Review,

"Marijuana Culture On Campus

Though Marijuana smoking is not done by everyone on the campus, there is a great majority that does engage in the culture. When students first arrive they are introduced with this culture with a "Pot smoking etiquette" lecture from the upperclassmen. In 2007 the Princeton review rated Warren-Wilson as the "nation's most marijuana-friendly campus"

I was right. Going to this school is like taking a 4 year hiatus from life. You won't get anything out of this type of school. To the op: you really do need to challenge yourself, and avoid a place like this. I can't think of any other way to tell you that this school is for losers and stoners. Avoid it!

It figures that someone like kechelsurf would encourage you to go here. He obviously has such a great command of reality that he knows how fantastic your employment opportunities will be after graduating from this school. Don't listen to losers, op.

--------------------

OfflineCaptainAhab

Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: HuHEN]
    #13455422 - 11/08/10 06:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

HuHEN said:
Warren Wilsons motto is "We're not for everyone, but then, maybe you're not everyone." CaptainAhab is clearly everyone.

Yeah, I am like everyone. I go to the most applied to university in the country. Lots of people think like I do.

--------------------

Edited by CaptainAhab (11/08/10 06:59 PM)

OfflineCaptainAhab

#13455564 - 11/08/10 07:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Here's more reasoning for you:
Some of the biggest problems/factors causing people to drop out from school is partying too much, and getting involved in the wrong crowds. This school is pot-centric, and doesn't attract the most studious types. You do the math.

What happens when the op wants to change his major, like so many kids in school, do? Well guess what... this school is tiny, and doesn't have the breadth and substance to accommodate many career options.

How about work experience, or volunteer opportunities, fraternities, sororities? I'm not talking about party fraternities, I'm talking about academic fraternities. There aren't any of the above, here. If the op decides that he wants to go to medical school, where's he gonna go? To the farm down the road to get patient care experience?

How about research opportunities, since it's extremely important for lots of undergrads to get lab experience before graduation, and be published and/or work on getting published. This doesn't exist here, either.

What about making friends that are going to be successful? This relates to the points I made above.

Sports, campus involvement, campus pride?
Sorry, pot smokers only, here. No football team. No basketball team. Just a bunch of white kids getting high. Sorry.

How about getting a real world experience? Lots of universities border on or are near large cities, where you can do anything you want to do. This place is in the middle of the woods. I think that they filmed parts of deliverance, there. Did someone say hick town? I did. No cosmopolitan experience for you.

Don't forget about private school tuition. Are you ready to pay 35 grand a year just in tuition?

How about notable faculty?
How about research funding?
How about diversity?
Exposure to grad students and TA's?
Alumni organizations?

Sorry, all you get is bong rips.

--------------------

Edited by CaptainAhab (11/08/10 07:42 PM)

Invisiblecollie man
Jai guru deva om
Male User Gallery

#13455576 - 11/08/10 07:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Captain afag Stop projecting onto other peoples life.

I say go for it OP.

--------------------

OfflineSolemente
Male

Loc: Flag
    #13455631 - 11/08/10 07:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainAhab said:
I'm not going to dignify you with a response.

...and then goes on a four post rant:rofl2:

OfflineMind Transcribing
Candy Baron
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost in Tanaris
Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: Solemente]
    #13455672 - 11/08/10 07:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Solemente said:
Quote:

CaptainAhab said:
I'm not going to dignify you with a response.

...and then goes on a four post rant:rofl2:

:rofldrunk:  :rofldrunk:  :rofldrunk:  :rofldrunk:

Somebody is overcompensating.

Edited by Mind Transcribing (11/08/10 07:52 PM)

OfflineCaptainAhab

Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: Mind Transcribing]
    #13455721 - 11/08/10 07:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, I get worked up. I express my opinions. In case none of you maggots have realized it, or not, I'm trying to help the op not get stuck in a bad school. It's obvious to me, why isn't it obvious to you? Why don't you people try helping instead of stirring the shit pot?

--------------------

Edited by CaptainAhab (11/08/10 08:06 PM)

Offlinekechlesurf
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#13456063 - 11/08/10 08:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainAhab said:
yeah, I get worked up. I express my opinions. In case none of you maggots have realized it, or not, I'm trying to help the op not get stuck in a bad school. It's obvious to me, why isn't it obvious to you? Why don't you people try helping instead of stirring the shit pot?

Captain Ahab, I am not disagreeing with anything you said, just like i said above, but the other posters were right, you reported me to a mod for calling you a name, then go on to call me names, say i live in a trailor park and drive by waving in your aston martin (when you have the aston martin, then you can talk shit) and even other people with opinions names, i believe it was maggot.

But now you can go talk shit to the other posters who already said the obvious, keep compensating for something.

Offlinesheldogg5
Stranger
Male

Loc: Arlen, TX
    #13456178 - 11/08/10 09:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

shouldn't you spend more time studying since your school is so great and challenging than bashing a guy who wants to go to college?

--------------------
everything i post is entirely fictional
"and then one day you find 10 years have got behind you no one told you when to run...you missed the starting gun"

"for long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave"

Offlinextokex
Stranger
Loc: SoCal
    #13456484 - 11/08/10 09:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainAhab said:
Yeah, I want to go to a small, liberal arts college with lots of white girls and lax admissions, in a nice area. Instead, I go to the super-competitive, 80% asian, California Ivy that's overrun with PC douchebags and med school wannabes. I choose mine over yours.

Holy shit dude pretty much the only reason I chose to go to a Cal State and not a UC was because of the asian thing. My tuition was pretty much covered from cal grants too either way, but when I saw that in the statistics they provided for the ethnicity breakdown of the campuses, UC's were actually like 80% asian and like 20 % white, while cal states were way more evenly rounded (and I like white girls not asian chicks).

My high school was pretty much all nerdy competitive asians, so I couldn't really take another couple of years like that. I thought I should take it easy for college, but it ended up being a really dumb decision.

The classes in Cal States are really easy and unchallenging, so I'm left having to teach my self in order to make something of myself. I'm just lucky that I went to a high school with lots of studious asians whose habits rubbed off on me because honestly if you are not working hard to get your life off of the ground during college and just take it easy, then you are gonna be fucked in a few years when all your peers who did study are driving around in beemers ordering you around.

OfflineHuHEN
I am the Owl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Highlands Flag
    #13457866 - 11/09/10 08:08 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

What happens when the op wants to change his major, like so many kids in school, do?

WWC has lots of Majors and my older brother who went there switched his part way through.

How about work experience, or volunteer opportunities, fraternities, sororities?

This shows you know nothing about the school because while it may not have fraternities or sororities every student at Warren Wilson is required to do at least 100 hours of volunteer work throughout their 4 years at Wilson. I know that my brother has been able to get jobs because of his volunteer work at Wilson.

Sports, campus involvement, campus pride?
Sorry, pot smokers only, here. No football team. No basketball team. Just a bunch of white kids getting high. Sorry.

It's true that WWC doesn't have a football team. They do however have basketball, soccer, cross country, and swimming teams. Plus they have a lot of intramural clubs. They also have one of the top Mountain Biking teams in the country which my brother was apart of.

How about getting a real world experience? Lots of universities border on or are near large cities, where you can do anything you want to do. This place is in the middle of the woods. I think that they filmed parts of deliverance, there. Did someone say hick town? I did. No cosmopolitan experience for you.

Warren Wilson is like 10 minute drive from Asheville a city of 75,000. Asheville is one of the coolest cities I've ever been to although it may not be large it has a lot going on. You seem to be assuming that just because WWC is in North Carolina it must be hick central.

So basically you're assuming an awful lot about a school that you don't really know anything about. It's true that a lot of people at Wilson smoke and it's true that some of them slack through their years there but I am friends with a lot of alums/current students and they are some of the most insightful and fun people to be around.

I think it's good that you are proud to be working hard through a good school but many people have great experiences at Warren Wilson and end up with good jobs afterwords. Like I said before It's not for everyone....

--------------------

OfflineCaptainAhab

Re: Warren Wilson College [Re: HuHEN]
    #13458915 - 11/09/10 01:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Guys guys guys, no one ever asked me my background on this. Here it is:
when I was in high school, I really wanted to go to a private college. I thought that I should pursue some type of science or liberal arts, and try to do what I really wanted to do, regardless of money or location of the school. Did you people know that I applied to the following WAY out of the way schools?

1. Deep Springs http://www.deepsprings.edu/home
2. St. Johns http://www.stjohnscollege.edu/
3. Reed College http://web.reed.edu/
4. Evergreen State College http://www.evergreen.edu/

Let me be the first to tell you, in case you didn't know, that some of these schools are in the middle of nowhere, have non-traditional curriculums, and cater to potheads.

What I ended up doing was going to a community college (4 in total, while I worked and moved around California, renting out rooms, living in different cities, etc). During this time, I struggled to get out of the party scene, and became addicted to drugs and alcohol. My life lost all meaning, and I was on the edge of suicide. Before turning my life around, I got my shit together and started actually trying in school. Then, I transferred to a Cal State school for nursing (CSU Sacramento), since I didn't think that I had the grades to go to a good university. Unfortunately, I decided that nursing wasn't for me, and went back to school to finish prerequisites to apply to medical school and get my bachelors in Chemistry from a good University. I did, and then transferred to UCLA.

Over the course of my college career, which has been extensive, I've learned quite a bit. I've seen where people thrive, and where people sink. I have had the chance to work in a variety of jobs and fields, and be in funny situations like being one of only 4 guys in a class of 65 nursing school girls. I've shopped around for majors, seen friends of mine graduate from medical school, Stanford, community college, and everywhere in between. What I can say is that people don't always know what they want to do, at first, and that college shopping like the op was doing reminds me of me, in a lot of ways. I wasn't the best student in high school, but always knew that I wanted to go as far I could.

In the end, I'm lost in a sea of asians, where there are hardly any white people, and no one is on my side. I wish that some of you, if you ever get the chance, could walk through campus at one of the big California UC's like Berkeley or LA to see what I'm talking about. Case in point, white guys are falling behind. We're a dying breed. And when I see you guys not try and reach as far as you can, I feel bad, inside, because I know that you're not helping yourselves as much as you could be. All bullshit aside, you're losing in life.

I hope that you guys can read through this and understand it for what it really is. I certainly won't waste time talking on here if what I'm saying isn't being heard, or is being skimmed and barely analyzed. If you were me, you'd feel the same way. I wish that I could go back in time and help the old me.

If you don't take anything else away from this, think about it:
1. I had a lot of potential
2. I got involved with the wrong crowd
3. Drugs and alcohol nearly killed me
4. I had to dig myself out a hole to get back on track
5. I went to lots of schools, lived in lots of college towns and cities
6. I had to figure out life on my own
7. When I decided to change my life around, it was when I was taken to the hospital for nearly dying... a had a blood alcohol level of 0.44, and was almost in a coma.

Life would have been much different for me if I'd avoided drugs and alcohol, and tried harder in school.

--------------------

Offlinestr8_up_dawg
Stranger
    #15199430 - 10/09/11 09:09 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainAhab said:
Has anyone even read about this school? It's in the middle of nowhere, has 900 students, and according to the Princeton Review,

"Marijuana Culture On Campus

Though Marijuana smoking is not done by everyone on the campus, there is a great majority that does engage in the culture. When students first arrive they are introduced with this culture with a "Pot smoking etiquette" lecture from the upperclassmen. In 2007 the Princeton review rated Warren-Wilson as the "nation's most marijuana-friendly campus"

I was right. Going to this school is like taking a 4 year hiatus from life. You won't get anything out of this type of school. To the op: you really do need to challenge yourself, and avoid a place like this. I can't think of any other way to tell you that this school is for losers and stoners. Avoid it!

It figures that someone like kechelsurf would encourage you to go here. He obviously has such a great command of reality that he knows how fantastic your employment opportunities will be after graduating from this school. Don't listen to losers, op.

You obviously havent read anything about WWC then, you have to work and volunteer to graduate. And for getting a job in the future, they could care less were you got your undergrad degree as long as you have a degree, they do care about were you get your master degree though. For undergrad its more important to find a school thats a good fit, for some people it may be a school like WWC and for others it may be a UC school. But for grad school you want a competitive school.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order