Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepsylicon
Adventurer
Loc: Urbana, IL
Contamination advice
    #1345567 - 03/01/03 07:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

A friend of a friend had a nice casing going, 2 pint jars of koh samui on finchseed in a breadpan with soil on top (soil had been baked in the oven beforehand). Some veils opened tonight, so she took 10 wet grams. Had a very nice experience, but there was some stomache discomfort. She just noticed that there is some green mold growing on the casing, at parts of the dirt that hadn't been eaten by the mycelia. Wondering if the case would recover, if it should be left on its own, if the estimated 90 or so wet should be harvested immediately and then see how the rest fares. The stomache discomfort may or may not be due to the green mold. She has quite a bit of experience growing but never had contamination problems this early in the cycle (this is the 1st flush).

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Contamination advice [Re: psylicon]
    #1345762 - 03/01/03 09:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cased with soil as in soil out of the ground??
How odd.. why not use coir or verm or both?

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Contamination advice [Re: zeta]
    #1345947 - 03/02/03 01:43 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

She is probably referring to topsoil which is not odd at all. It actually works great!

Have you ever had this kind of discomfort eating shrooms before?

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Contamination advice [Re: psylicon]
    #1346968 - 03/02/03 03:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Casings really don't recover from Green molds. They almost always overtake the mycellium not the other way around.

You haven't indicated how large the area of mold is. If it is a small area you can remove it. I would do some searching in this forum for green mold to check out some of the suggested ways of containing the problem.

My advice would be to give the mushrooms the day or so that they need to mature. Harvest the mushrooms but throw away the mushrooms growing in close proximity to the mold. Toss the casing. This does all depend on the circumstances though. I am assuming that there is only a very small area of green mold and the mushrooms are very close to maturity since you said some of the veils had broken. If this isn't the case it is a good idea to get rid of it all.

Stomach discomfort happens quite frequently with mushrooms. They are very fiberous and take a lot for your stomach to digest.... hence the discomfort.

Offlinepsylicon
Adventurer
Loc: Urbana, IL
Re: Contamination advice [Re: Karen]
    #1349772 - 03/04/03 12:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The moldy area was relatively contained. She plucked everything, scraped off a considerable amount of soil from the top of the casing, maybe almost 1/2 inch from the areas that were starting to show green mold, and a bit less from other parts (the mycelia had colonized through the dirt at some areas but not at most), then went crazy with the peroxide on top of the remaining soil. 2 days later, there are 3 individual ones growing from various spots, and it looks like it'll be alright. Even if it's not though, she harvested 260 wet total, and a dose of 10 on saturday was enough to give her magnificent CEVs in which she met the venerable ones and they led her to a multi-colored spinning machine that controls the inner workings of the universe :-) Probably post a trip report soon.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum