Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Loc: somewhere over the rainbo...
Setup Problem (Story)
    #1344936 - 03/01/03 11:26 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This post is intended to promote discussion of what not to do...

My setup is a 189L tote with a 200W Tronic "Submersible" heater. I cut a hole 1.5" from the bottom of my tote, placed the heater in place, and fastened it with a thick coating of silicone.

Water poured into tote at a level of 1" above the heater.

With a grill placed above the water level, the maximum temperature it reaches is 30C, or 86F at the grill. 76F at the top of the tote.

The problem with this setup is that RH is constantly too high, and out of control. A double output fishtank pump does not pump enough air to rid the chamber of any significant amount of humidity.

Every time I open the tote, water literally pours from the lid and drips on everything.

A larger fan might fix this, vasoline, or a new terarrium altogether.

This is all because I've read about "submersible" and "fully submersible" heaters. What bullshit. My Tronic heater has a "water level" line which water is not supposed to rise above.

Alas, no "fully submersible" aquarium heater was found after searching 3 cities and tens of stores.

I later realized that others used this same brand, Tronic, despite them not being "fully submersible."

So who has the terminology wrong, the companies or, Shroomery folk? Do "Fully Submerible" heaters exist? That is, aquarium heaters that actually have that written on them, or do Shroomery folk merely consider "Submerible" to be "Fully submersible"...

Anyways, this post is for awareness, of what not to do. Hopefully *someone* may be helped by it.

My casing is almost ready to be cased, after almost 7 days. This drip problem must be solved, as it threatens fruiting.

Never use a basin of water for heating and humidity, that might make controlling humidity impossible. Thanks for your time!

--------------------
peace and love!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Setup Problem (Story) [Re: Torey]
    #1344961 - 03/01/03 11:40 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Are you trying to make an incubator or a terrarium??
There is no need for a bin full of water with a heater in a terrarium. Just get a plastic bin, put wet perlite in the bottom and keep it somewhere warm.

I have never seen an aquarium heater that wasn't fully submersible so I'm sure they exist.

OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Re: Setup Problem (Story) [Re: zeta]
    #1345063 - 03/01/03 01:03 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Terrarium.

A plastic bin with perlite will not maintain 86F require for spawn run.

My incubator is for jars. I need my terrarium (fruiting chamber) to have flexible heating for spawn run and primordia formation.

--------------------
peace and love!

Offlineishotu1
    #1345080 - 03/01/03 01:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

rig up an air intake fan of some sort it should work maybe use a desk fan on a timer.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1345116 - 03/01/03 01:40 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

your casing tray is covered, yes ? high humidity is good for now .
i think you will find, when you lower the temp, the humidity will come down too .
if doesn,t come down enough, make some vent holes, and stuff them with polyfil .
if you are using bubblers, take them out of the water . you could use an inline filter and nix the air stone for more air exchange .
good luck  :wink: 

OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Re: Setup Problem (Story) [Re: deanofmean]
    #1345126 - 03/01/03 01:46 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

American or Canadian lawyer... ?

The drop in temp might suffice, however the heater seems fixed at 93F (top setting) which gets the grill to 86F. Even Tronic ("top of the line") heaters have shitty dials with low-use life spans! Frustrating!

The casing is covered. I may need to find a desk fan to place inside.

I bought a 24" tall plastic greenhouse from Walmart that I'm experimenting with, using a heating pad placed on the bottom rack, and possibly perlite with a bubbler for humidity. I doubt the heating pad will suffice, I have my hopes up.

--------------------
peace and love!

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1345165 - 03/01/03 02:17 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

you should take that Tronic piece o shit back to the store .
i have no problems with my Jagger heater . :smirk:
as for lawyers, it matters not .
i'm not prejudges, i'm german, we hate everybody equally . :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag