Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Loc: the in-between
lookin for that quick fix
    #1344807 - 03/01/03 12:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

so what are non-destructive ways to forget about your problems? I smoke cigarettes which help but fade pretty quick and are surely detrimental to my health in the long run. I don't plan on quitting til I get far away from city life, when my only cares are my shelter and food. But any suggestions will be recieved and considered.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous #1

Re: lookin for that quick fix [Re: LoverofEarth]
    #1344940 - 03/01/03 01:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1345176 - 03/01/03 04:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This may or may not be a quick fix, depending on how many negative thoughts you are having but try this:

Writing on a bit of paper -

i) identify the negative thought
eg. "I'll never get a bluddy job"
ii) identify more explicitly, the situation that lead to the thought, the thought and the feeling that followed.
eg. I went for my 6th job interview in 2 months and was rejected AGAIN. I thought "I'll never get a bluddy job" and felt worthless.
iii) Challenge the thought by arguing the situtation is not necessarily personal, pervasive or permanent.
eg  - personal. Its hard to get a job after just graduating from university. Most people have some difficulty because of lack of work experience. Some jobs have already been filled by people in the organisation and advertising is just a formality.
    - pervasive. I've been offered many jobs in the past.
    - permanent. My interveiw skills are improving every time I have been for an interview. I am doing some volunteer work which with time will much improve my chances for getting a job. I have some work experience which should give me an advantage over other appplicants when the right job comes up.
iv) put off thinking about the negative situation. eg. I can think about this situation for 20 minutes at 9-00 this evening.
v) distract yourself with other activities.

There you go, the latest in psychological therapy for negative thoughts. Sometimes the negative feeling associated with the thoughts doesn't go away straight away but pretty much guaranteed it will in a few hours. If it hasn't there may be other negative thoughts associated with the situation that you may need to also challenge.
For this to work you need to accept that you have thousands of experiences in your life and often we think in absolute terms when there are probably many examples of situations which provide evidence that things aren't as bad as we might be otherwise thinking.  :smile:

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Re: lookin for that quick fix [Re: ]
    #1346320 - 03/02/03 09:26 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, i've been thinking hobbies are the ticket. My room is covered in plants. I want to start rock collecting, identifying, and polishing.(see shawshank redemption). This spring I am planning on starting mushroom and plant identification. And eventually I will pick up chemistry/amature lab work. Basically I spent all of high school in a daze, I tuned out of everything and pretty much just rotted away, it is a big transition from that to being involved in projects and (basically anything interesting) again. What do you do to occupy yourself and stay happy?

I really don't have to worry about negative thoughts that much, I mean, as long as I keep my mind on the future, but perhaps that is not the best way to live.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1346622 - 03/02/03 12:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

really don't have to worry about negative thoughts that much, I mean, as long as I keep my mind on the future, but perhaps that is not the best way to live.

Sounds alright to me  :smile: 

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Invisibleprince_toadstool
Punchline
Re: lookin for that quick fix [Re: enotake2]
    #1346662 - 03/02/03 12:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

id just wanna add that i wouldnt use mushrooms and stuff too much to help clear your mind. People use shrooms n stuff for lots of good reasons, but if you use drugs to escape ure problems ull probably make them worse, and have a bad trip anyway. I like to do something thats constructive, like volunteer work as a hobby so you'll know that your time benifited people :smile: 

--------------------
"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers." Voltaire

Anonymous #1

#1346959 - 03/02/03 03:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
Loc: East Bay (EAST BAY GREASE...
    #1347621 - 03/02/03 09:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

A hobby is a great way to occupy your mind.

Good luck. :smile: 

I find that I have no problems when I have a 5 pound trout on my six pound test line :grin:

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
A zen master once said to me
don't do anything I tell you to do
so i did

<p><a href="http://www.whump.com/dropbox/other/ujname.html">Get yours</a>.</p>

<p>My <a href="http://tinyurl.com/6valr">Unitarian Jihad Name</a> is: <strong>Brother Neutron Bomb of Compassion</strong>.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.whump.com/dropbox/other/ujname.html">Get yours</a>.</p>

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: South
Re: lookin for that quick fix [Re: Hongosmeester]
    #1347636 - 03/02/03 09:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'll second that :smile: Fishing is a great way to have fun :smile: I love getting up early in the morning, going out to the river and catching some fish :smile: I don't really trout fish, cuz I'm too cheap to buy a stamp, but nothing catching a big ole bass :smile:

OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

#1347948 - 03/03/03 03:57 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I guess the possibilities are huge. Just got a couple rock,stone, and mineral identification books, Think I will have to take up fishing. I've lived right next to a creek for about 6 years, but my father never really took an interest in fishing so I never bothered. Soon as it gets warm i'll be out there. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being