Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsillyTheSeaGull
ayatollah ofrocknrolla
ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral?
    #1341378 - 02/27/03 05:59 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Please share ANy thoughts/advice on anti-depressants.... Ive tried (paxil/zoloft/valium/prozac, sometimes prescribed, sometimes "borrowed") ... I felt nothing, I went into neutral, blank ... not myself. ... I had no emotions ... Is that the desired result?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: PsillyTheSeaGull]
    #1341393 - 02/27/03 06:08 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It takes a few days at least for these types of drugs to take hold.... And there not a recreational drug, it's been said that if one dosent need to take them that in fact they wont do anything (the user wont feel anything).

In my past I had a long term girlfriend, then later I married a diferent woman that both turned out to be bi-polor... Classic symtoms are being very happy then turning very depresed (in my ex-wife's case she went from happy to extremely angry for no sound reason).... People like this can be helped by the long term use of antidepresents.... however it's often tough to get the people that most need this medicene to actualy take it..

It really takes a doctor to determine if you need to take such drugs. Again, it's not a drug to take to get high on... if your brain chemestry is normal you most likely wont feel much diferent even after days of taken them... and it does take a few days for the popularly prescribed anti-depresents to take effect.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (02/27/03 08:55 PM)

OfflinePsillyTheSeaGull
ayatollah ofrocknrolla
Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: Jammer]
    #1341488 - 02/27/03 07:11 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

understood, I havent properly used any of these chemicals //been prescribed them tho// just havent taken them long enough. // interested in other's exp, advice// Thanx for the input.// Peace

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1341558 - 02/27/03 08:04 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think thats the desired effect. It may be that SSRIs are not right for you. There are a number of other classes of antidepressants. If you find the right one, you should feel normal, get happy, and have no side effects. I'd get the Doctor to try you on a different one, or better still, refer you to a psychiatrist who will have a better idea of which one will work for you. Anti-depressants appear to be OK for your health from what I have read, providing you dont have side effects. Depression is bad for your health as it lowers your immune function. So you are more likely to become ill and to also have a worse course for any disease. So the better option is a trial of antidepressants in many cases. Antidepressant don't do anything harmful to your brain according to research reports so far.  Though remember they don't address the cause. It's usually a good idea to get counselling as well. Or you could read a self help book. One good one is Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman (87th plug on this website). Good luck  :smile:

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Offlinezer0vega
stealing happyhours

Loc: In a van down by the rive...
    #1341584 - 02/27/03 08:18 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I've taken prozac and am on welbutrin now, and i couldn't put it any better than what Jammer said. It took me several weeks to get the benefit of the medicine.. in my particular case it does elevate my mood and help fight off the depression.. everyone around me has noticed the difference as well... though it hasn't cured my problems.. it's definetly a help.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #1341657 - 02/27/03 09:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I just noticed your reference to Valium in your post. Keep in mind that Valium is a mild tranqalizer and should not be confused with antidepressants. Valium acts almost instantly to calm nerves - Valium is VERY addicting and comparable to narcotics. The mixture of Valium and alcohol/other drugs has been known to kill people.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #1341659 - 02/27/03 09:11 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

BAD.

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #1341919 - 02/28/03 02:38 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

hell I can relate to this...

I was on zoloft at a half dose for only 5 days, and it removed all traces of any human feelings like a good stripping with nitric acid....LOL

There was a crisis happening to my family over that 5 days, and I felt like a zombie or maybe an alien who could only comfort these weirdly distraught & grieving humans by patting them on the head and saying, "there, there" like I was an unfeeling automaton... :confused:

Now i didn't mind the depressed feelings disappearing of course, but I figured I couldn't live without the prospects of having any positive feelings ever again either, especially towards those people I knew intellectually that i cared for...like my family...but just couldn't give a shit about them at the time  :frown:

Bloody horrible stuff...and fucking physically addictive no less (!) What idiot thought that one up?! Not that any docs have the guts to admit this; No wonder they tell you on the drug info to take the tab at the same time each day...I thought that was damn suspicious at the time!!

The last day I took 'em I waited for an extra 4 hours past the usual "due" dosing time, and dammit, if I didn't feel so fucking nervous like I was going to fly apart mentally any second.........

.......until I took the dose...& felt fine 25 mins later :mad:

So, stopped right then before I got in deep trouble.... :crazy:

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Anonymous #1

#1342165 - 02/28/03 05:25 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #1342451 - 02/28/03 07:44 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Jammer beat me to it i was just going to say that valium is not in that category. The advice you received is all good however if you would like to talk in depth about what may be right for you feel free to send me a PM.

Regards

Ripple

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibletrendalM
Jā™ 
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: PsillyTheSeaGull] * 1
    #1343743 - 02/28/03 06:46 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I was prescribed Effexor a few weeks ago.

So far I love it! It has left my thoughts relatively untouched, but it has done wonders for both the anxiety I used to live with and my self-confidence. I am now much more able to express myself as who I am and not who I think others want me to be.

It also seems to be helping a little with my attention span, which is usually about 10 seconds.

I am also, for the first time in memory, getting pleasure out of the things I do day-to-day. I used to have to do things like jump off bridges just to have fun. Not anymore!

I'm motivated now, as well. Motivation is cool.

I think anti-depressants are overprescribed. In many cases they are not what is needed. In some, like me, they help out tremendously.

They are not a miracle cure, however. You still have to want good things to happen, not just hope they will and rely on a chemical to do it for you.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflinePsillyTheSeaGull
ayatollah ofrocknrolla
Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: trendal]
    #1343810 - 02/28/03 07:24 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

They are not a miracle cure, however. You still have to want good things to happen, not just hope they will and rely on a chemical to do it for you.

----Well put. ... And coming together Beatles style is indeed groovy

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1343891 - 02/28/03 07:55 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I live by Andrew Weil's ideal that no drug is inherently good or evil.A drug is just a chemical.What it does depends on the state of the nervous system it enters.That said,I've suffered from some horrible depression before that was not related to anything in my life-your classic clinical depression.All the antidepressants I've tried (several,mostly SSRI's) just made me feel detached and even more empty than I felt before.They took away some saddness,but also anything remotely good.Sometimes they even made me feel much,much worse (Zoloft gave me horrible anxiety,which is ironic because one of its indications is panic,and Wellbutrin litterally made me psychotic for a few days.)

After years of opiate abuse and failed antidepresant attempts,I found out (on my own,the doctors weren't much help) that I may have some kind of mild seizure disorder that manifests itself through anxiety,depression,weird compulsion,and a sense of detachment from reality.I finally started taking Ativan (a benzodiazapine) about a month ago,and now I feel much more stable and many of "bad thoughts" are gone.I can honestly say I'm actually kind of happy now.I still use other drugs,but I can now moderate my use and I don't get cravings like I used to.

Back to what I think about psychiatry and psychiatric drugs.They can be life savers for people with serious mental disorders but they overprescribe and misdiagnose people all the time.Most psychiatrists see you for 15 minute sessions,make you fill out a few forms,and hand you some pills.That is not enough time to properly diagnose someone,but that's how the system works.I felt like a was being misdiagnosed for years.I took my own research to figure out the problem.I've also been told that the SSRI's would make me feel better or if not,do nothing at all.I've been on several,and they all made me worse.Good call doc.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleCuriousByN8ure
Stranger

Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: monoamine]
    #1344145 - 02/28/03 11:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Bad. See they produce a happy depressed person. Solve your problem not medicate it.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: CuriousByN8ure]
    #1344227 - 03/01/03 02:10 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Bad. See they produce a happy depressed person. Solve your problem not medicate it.

What if you have no problems to solve,no where to go,but you're still depressed?In my case,my life was actually going pretty good,but I still felt empty.I wasn't sad really,just numb.When your demons are in your own mind,and you're closed off from the outside world,medication can be the only option sometimes.A chemically unbalanced brain (sorry for the gross simplification) percieves the world in a totally differerent manner than a "healthy" one.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Anonymous #1

#1344258 - 03/01/03 02:40 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1347856 - 03/03/03 12:26 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

depression has been my life for the past couple years.

for me, medication was just a learning experience

I had to take it to realize I didn't want it.

They are good to get a different perspective on things... like "Oh, so this is what it feels like to go a whole day without getting all dark and gloomy."
Sometimes you just need some sort of change like that when there seems to be no other options.

but I could not stay on them and feel like I was really growing as a person. they are definately a crutch, and ultimately a barrier between you and your own personal freedom.

but yea sometimes you're leg is broken and you really need a crutch until it heals. then you gotta throw it away and learn to walk on it again.

I still suffer from depression and social anxiety but I am battling them head-on. You really have to experiment and expose yourself to anything that scares you, to help get to the root of the problems that may be causing that negativity. you have to escape your comfort zone.

OfflineSacik
Stranger
Loc: Texas
Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: Grav]
    #1347879 - 03/03/03 12:50 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I had a very serouis bout with depression about 2 years ago. For reasons I'd like not to get into. I was given a script for Zoloft. I took it for about 3 weeks then I stopped. Yes it was working, I wasn't depressed. But I wasn't doing any thing to stop why I was depressed. I know that I was going to be depressed if I stopped taking the drug. I couldn't stand not feeling my feeling I KNEW I would be having. So I stopped taking it. I worked on fixxing the things in my life that were going wrong. About 3 months after I stopped taking them the depression finaly left me. And on a darker note if any one ever contonplates suicide, try what I did. When the thought enters your head, skip the part about how you would do it and think about what would happen in the world with out you. Think about every aspect of what would happen in the area around you right after you did take your life. Thats at least how I managed to stop the thoughts. Good luck to any one who is or might come into depression, it's a beast.

--------------------

A simple opinon from another monkey with a voice.

OfflineYthanA
į••( į› )į•—
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands
Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: PsillyTheSeaGull] * 2
    #1348802 - 03/03/03 08:22 PM (21 years, 30 days ago)

Something to note about antidepressants is that most of them take weeks or months before they begin to have an effect. If you've been "borrowing" pills and taking them sporadically it's unlikely you've experienced their full benefits. I'd talk with your doctor and decide on a medication to try, and then stick with it diligently for at least 3 months before passing final judgement. If one medication doesn't work, try another and give it the same length of time to take effect. It has not been my personal experience that antidepressants cause the intensity of your emotions to diminish. Sometimes, people who are depressed learn to suppress their emotions in order to make their condition more tolerable. The behavior can become so ingrained that it remains even after the depression is lifted. If you have found this to be the case with every drug that you've tried, I would discuss that with your prescribing doctor.

One of the symptoms of depression is a sense of apathy and a loss of motivation. This can make it really hard to fix things in your life which are contributing to your condition. For some people with serious chemical imbalances, antidepressants may be the best permanent solution. However, for those of us who suffer from milder forms of the disease I feel that medication is best used as a temporary measure. It can give you the drive and mental clarity you need to make some positive changes and ultimately be happy without needing pills. It's very important that you talk with your psychiatrist before going off any medication. Also, while no SSRI antidepressants are addictive in the traditional sense, you may experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking them cold-turkey.

Just a few thoughts, I don't have a lot of experience with this but I'd be glad to offer any advice I can.

Peace,

-Y

Anonymous #1

Re: ANti-depressants: Good ? Bad ? or Neutral? [Re: ]
    #1348902 - 03/03/03 09:37 PM (21 years, 30 days ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder