Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Background checks for flyers.
    #1343209 - 02/28/03 04:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

WASHINGTON (Feb. 28) - Delta Air Lines will begin testing a new government plan for air security next month that will check background information and assign a threat level to everyone who buys a ticket for a commercial flight.

The system, ordered by Congress after the Sept. 11 attacks, will gather much more information on passengers than has been done previously. Delta will try it out at three undisclosed airports, and a comprehensive system could be in place by the end of the year.

Transportation officials say a contractor will be picked soon to build the nationwide computer system, which will check such things as credit reports and bank account activity and compare passenger names with those on government watch lists.

Civil liberties groups and activists are objecting to the plan, seeing the potential for unconstitutional invasions of privacy and for database mix-ups that could lead to innocent people being branded security risks.

``This system threatens to create a permanent blacklisted underclass of Americans who cannot travel freely,'' said Katie Corrigan, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union.

There also is concern that the government is developing the system without revealing how information will be gathered and how long it will be kept.

Advocates say the system will weed out dangerous people while ensuring law-abiding citizens aren't given unnecessary scrutiny.

Transportation officials say CAPPS II - Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening System - will use databases that already operate in line with privacy laws and won't profile based on race, religion or ethnicity.

``What it does is have very fast access to existing databases so we can quickly validate the person's identity,'' Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta said.

An oversight panel, which will include a member of the public, is being formed. The Transportation Security Administration will set up procedures to resolve complaints by people who say they don't belong on the watch lists.

Transportation Department spokesman Chet Lunner said a Federal Register notice saying the background information will be stored for 50 years is inaccurate. He said such information will be held only for people deemed security risks.

Jay Stanley, an ACLU spokesman, was skeptical.

``When it says in print, 50 years, we'd like to see something else in print to counter that,'' he said.

Airlines already do rudimentary checks of passenger information, such as method of payment, address and date the ticket was reserved. The system was developed by Northwest Airlines in the early 1990s to spot possible hijackers.

Unusual behavior, such as purchasing a one-way ticket with cash, is supposed to prompt increased scrutiny at the airport.

Capt. Steve Luckey, an airline pilot who helped develop the system, said CAPPS II will help discern a passenger's possible intentions before he gets on a plane.

Unlike the current system, in which data stays with the airlines' reservation systems, the new setup will be managed by TSA. Only government officials with proper security clearance will be able to use it.

CAPPS II will collect data and rate each passenger's risk potential according to a three-color system: green, yellow, red. When travelers check in, their names will be punched into the system and their boarding passes encrypted with the ranking. TSA screeners will check the passes at checkpoints.

The vast majority of passengers will be rated green and won't be subjected to anything more than normal checks, while yellow will get extra screening and red won't fly.

Paul Hudson, executive director of the Aviation Consumer Action Project, which advocates airline safety and security, is skeptical the system will work.

``The whole track record of profiling is a very poor to mixed one,'' Hudson said, noting incorrect profiles of the Unabomber and the Washington-area snipers.

Nine to 11 of the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11 were flagged by the original CAPPS, but weren't searched because the system gave a pass to passengers who didn't check their bags, Hudson said. People without checked bags are now included.

02/28/03 08:40 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Background checks for flyers. [Re: Magash]
    #1345912 - 03/02/03 12:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It is sick how little is talked about such activities like this that are taking away freedoms and turning the US into the biggest case of big brotherism in history.

Scary times indeed.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Background checks for flyers. [Re: Magash]
    #1345975 - 03/02/03 02:06 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Let's say ,for instance, that there is this person who was born and raised in the good old us of a.  Let's say this person is male.  Let's say he is a non-conformist who does not really dress like everybody else, fix his hair like everybody else, etc.

Let's say he does not have a bank account like most everybody else, credit card like most everybody else, Has no credit to speak of( maybe even a few hospital bills against his credit), Does not own a house(does not rent one directly from the bank I mean), And , well, you get the point.

How would this person be affected by this. I am sure he would be highly suspect.

The days of freedom are coming to an end.  :mad:............. :frown:

It will get to the point where you will not be able to do anything in society unless you conform completely to societies standards. Standards dictated by the rich and the powerful who want everyone to be good and credit worthy consumers.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Edited by sirreal (03/02/03 02:24 AM)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Background checks for flyers. [Re: sirreal]
    #1348328 - 03/03/03 07:38 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

agreed,.. emphasis on consumer. i've been saying it for years, "they" want to get cash out of the system. once the money is all electrons then "they" can control it, monitor it, freeze it, etc. i have a bank account so i can write checks to pay bills. i cash my paycheck and deposit whatever amount is necessary to pay those bills. i have a credit card but use it only out of necessity. keep your fucking cash in your hands people. another good point made is the fact that these things happen so silently. the only reason i am informed is because i expose myself to information sources such as the shroomery. i think that is one of the reasons "they" want to kill the free exchange of drug-related info on the net. all this crap I am informing RL people of. noone in RL approaches me and informs me of any of this shit. IOW, unless you are involved in "underground" activities on the net you are very likely to be woefully uninformed as to what your government has been doing.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Background checks for flyers. [Re: debianlinux]
    #1349066 - 03/04/03 08:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, you are right about cash.

Here is something to think about.

It is getting to the point that you must have GOOD credit to do alot of things in this society. Having a clean slate is just not good enough anymore.

In order to have good credit what is required of you?  You must make purchases using credit. You must be in DEBT! That is how the financial institutions make most of thier money. Off of interest paid on debt.

It seems that they are going to eventually force all of us to be in debt if we want to participate in this society at all!

I don't use credit because I don't like being in debt. It seems that I will have no choice in the matter eventually. :frown:

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service