Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Paradox
    #13427023 - 11/03/10 01:29 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i just thought of the weirdest paradox i have ever thought of.

alright, the speed of light in MPH is 670,616,629mph. say your traveling at 670,616,630MPH. 1 mile an hour faster than the speed of light.

so they say your always looking into the past. It takes time in order for light thats reflecting off of everything in your field of vision, to reach your eyes and to have your brain comprehend that into a picture.

so say your traveling that one mile per hour over the speed of light. what would you see???? complete darkness since your escaping light?? or would everything thats in your field of vision, just completely stand still??

or even more confusing.. say your traveling at the exact same speed of light. wtf would you see?? omg its so confusing!! its a complete paradox..

in order to travel into the past, one would have to completely switch time around backwards i.e... make light travel backwards? this is all hypothetically because apparently.. one can only travel into the future, not the past.. as far as we know now.. omg somebody help lol

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrollTendencies
Stranger
Re: Paradox [Re: tripp23]
    #13427031 - 11/03/10 01:31 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

your in the past too because memories form in the present and made in the future

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Re: Paradox [Re: TrollTendencies]
    #13427037 - 11/03/10 01:33 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TrollTendencies said:
your in the past too because memories form in the present and made in the future

holy fuck you just confused the shit outta me lol

so your saying.. im made in the past cuz.. my memories are formed in the present and by the time i thought of that, im in the future??

--------------------

OfflineThe_Ghost
ゴースト

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USG Ishimura Flag
    #13427043 - 11/03/10 01:35 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tripp23 said:

alright, the speed of light in MPH is 670,616,629mph. say your traveling at 670,616,630MPH. 1 mile an hour faster than the speed of light.

so they say your always looking into the past. It takes time in order for light thats reflecting off of everything in your field of vision, to reach your eyes and to have your brain comprehend that into a picture.

so say your traveling that one mile per hour over the speed of light. what would you see???? complete darkness since your escaping light?? or would everything thats in your field of vision, just completely stand still??

You wouldn't see anything since the eyes are responsive to photons. You need light to see anything.
Quote:

or even more confusing.. say your traveling at the exact same speed of light. wtf would you see?? omg its so confusing!! its a complete paradox..

You would probably see visual distortions all around as light catches up to you.
Quote:

in order to travel into the past, one would have to completely switch time around backwards i.e... make light travel backwards? this is all hypothetically because apparently.. one can only travel into the future, not the past.. as far as we know now.. omg somebody help lol

How would you make light travel 'backwards'? Whichever direction it travels is always forward.

--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

OfflineThe_Ghost
ゴースト

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USG Ishimura Flag
    #13427051 - 11/03/10 01:37 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tripp23 said:
Quote:

TrollTendencies said:

holy fuck you just confused the shit outta me lol

so your saying.. im made in the past cuz.. my memories are formed in the present and by the time i thought of that, im in the future??

I think he means that the world  you see around you is actually the past and not the present because it takes time for your brain to process sensory information into awareness.

--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

OfflineTrollTendencies
Stranger
    #13427052 - 11/03/10 01:37 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

its called stress:rolleyes:

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Paradox [Re: TrollTendencies]
    #13427062 - 11/03/10 01:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Re: Paradox [Re: The_Ghost]
    #13427065 - 11/03/10 01:42 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The_Ghost said:
Quote:

tripp23 said:
Quote:

How would you make light travel 'backwards'? Whichever direction it travels is always forward.

exactly why they say you can only travel into the future. fun to think about right?

thanks for giving me a decent answer lol its so confusing but fun

but i have another example in a way..

gravity slows down time. scientist say.. if you got sucked into a black hole. you would be frozen alive in time but completely alive and aware and conscious n all that. now say that theory is true. what would happen if you added just a little bit more of force of gravity?

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #13427123 - 11/03/10 02:06 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

so why would traveling faster than light make us travel into the future or even the past in the first place?  Isn't light just an object, why would traveling faster than it have any affect on reality and other objects in the universe?  I dunno if ive just never thought about it or what

If light is basically "instant", what does instant plus 1 do for us?  How do we know light isn't already traveling "plus 1" and we can't tell because of the affect it may have?  Now what about the other end, is anything truely standing still?  what would happen if we traveled 0  "minus 1"?  I know that probly isn't the correct way of saying it but im sure you get what im saying.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

Re: Paradox [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #13427190 - 11/03/10 02:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You CAN'T travel faster than the speed of light. There is no paradox, because the condition in which the paradox arises cannot exist.

If you travel AT the speed of light, your journey is literally instantaneous (from your perspective). That's what Einstein's relativity means.
You know the story of the astronaut who travels 90% light speed to Alpha Centauri and back, and even though for him it only takes a few weeks, when he gets back his four year old daughter is suddenly teenager? Well, if he'd done 99% light speed, he would experience just a couple of days of travel. Extend this all the way to 100% light speed, and you can see how it would take zero time.
So to ask what you would see at light speed is a moot point, because there is literally no time in which to see anything.

It's a weird concept, but I'm told it's the truth.
Time does not exist at light speed. But you need maths to prove it.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#13427205 - 11/03/10 02:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tripp23 said:

You can't reach the speed of light, let alone go over it...

But sorta along the lines of what you're getting at I think...If you are traveling at 99% the speed of light and pointed a laser beam in front of you the laser will travel away from you at the speed of light from your observational standpoint.

But from someone standing aside and watching, the laser will move at the speed of light and you will be moving at 99%.

:strokebeard:

--------------------

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

Re: Paradox [Re: openmind]
    #13427217 - 11/03/10 02:58 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
You can't reach the speed of light, let alone go over it.

Actually, you can reach it, provided that you have infinite energy.
Which sounds absurd, but we're f*ckin' half-evolved monkeys. What do we know.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Paradox [Re: laserpig]
    #13427235 - 11/03/10 03:11 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ok what if a person build a machine that can travel 99% the speed of light, and this machine was say...1 or 10 or w/e "miles" long

Then inside this machine was another machine, and then you manage to drive that machine to 99% the speed of light before hitting the haul

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
    #13427244 - 11/03/10 03:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't read through all the responses but this is what I think:

Because light originates from many sources you'll be perceiving the light at a faster rate, if you're looking in the direction you're traveling (like life in fast forward, probably burning your eyes).  While if you're looking in the opposite direction you will see absolute darkness, as light can't catch you).

Example; Traveling towards Proxima Centauri (4.2 LY away) at the speed of light you will see all 4.2 years of light but at a faster rate then when you slow down to orbit or view the star it will be back down to normal perception speed.

Think if there is a star that is traveling away from our solar system at a s relative speed faster than light, we wouldn't be able to see that star.  Or vice versa a star traveling at a relative speed faster than light towards us we'd see the light at a faster rate, causing a twinkling as we witness massive events on that star at faster speed with less time between their intervals.

If that makes sense.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Edited by Idiot (11/03/10 03:35 AM)

Offlinedestructo_low
Oh yeah!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13427267 - 11/03/10 03:36 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I was talking about this in another thread the other day. You would still be seeing whatever you were rushing towards only faster than you were before. Time would not stop or go backwards. It would continue going forwards only slower relative to you.

Here is the other thread.

--------------------
There is a molecule for every purpose. There are only actions and reactions. Cut out the middle men. Everything I say is a lie.

Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
Re: Paradox [Re: destructo_low]
    #13427297 - 11/03/10 03:59 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

have you ever broken through on Salvia?

its neat how Einstein's theories parallel aspects of the experience in unexpected ways

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
    #13427478 - 11/03/10 06:37 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

laserpig said:
You CAN'T travel faster than the speed of light. There is no paradox, because the condition in which the paradox arises cannot exist.

you can't accelerate faster than light but if you are already going faster than light you can continue going faster
Tachyon
Quote:

Because a tachyon moves faster than the speed of light, we cannot see it approaching. After a tachyon has passed nearby, we would be able to see two images of it, appearing and departing in opposite directions.

I would also point out that the easiest way to think about this "paradox" is to consider the sound barrier (something we already surpassed)

--------------------

OfflineThe Mad Shroomer
Madcap
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #13427489 - 11/03/10 06:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
ok what if a person build a machine that can travel 99% the speed of light, and this machine was say...1 or 10 or w/e "miles" long

Then inside this machine was another machine, and then you manage to drive that machine to 99% the speed of light before hitting the haul

Time slows down for the second machine, so it doesn't actually reach a higher speed.

--------------------
...and what exactly is a dream? And what exactly is a joke?

Offlinenice1
Not the droid your looking for
 User Gallery

Loc: earth
    #13427516 - 11/03/10 06:55 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
so why would traveling faster than light make us travel into the future or even the past in the first place? 

Relativity states that the speed of travel is relative to the speed of time.  Faster you go, the slower time becomes.

Space - time is not a linear state.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #13427517 - 11/03/10 06:55 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

laserpig said:

dont be so sure about that, they've discovered that light can travel faster than the speed of light

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Paradox [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13427925 - 11/03/10 09:38 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by DieCommie (11/13/16 10:13 AM)

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

Re: Paradox [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13428619 - 11/03/10 12:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
dont be so sure about that, they've discovered that light can travel faster than the speed of light

Was that the right video? There was nothing in there about light traveling faster than light. Only about a discrepancy between the detection of high- and low-energy wavelengths. From the few sentences describing it, it sounds more likely that the different wavelengths took slightly different paths through space, one longer, one shorter.

--------------------

OfflineGreenspades
Forever Alone

#13429592 - 11/03/10 03:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You'll just see the light that's getting to your eyes at that particular moment. It's not that hard to understand. Whatever light your eyes ran into while traveling. It might look "distorted" but if you always were traveling 1 mph faster than the speed of light you'd get used to it.

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
    #13429611 - 11/03/10 03:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tripp23 said:

what if you travel faster than the speed of light whilst pointing a flashlight in the other direction?
:omg:

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: Paradox [Re: DieCommie]
    #13430454 - 11/03/10 06:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That's awesome, I was looking into some of MITs recorded lectures on physics but it was not what I expected.  I realize physics in an advanced form of math, but I figured they'd use more hypothetical situations to help describe formulas rather than just diving into the formulas.  I guess the prerequisites for a physics class at MIT would be more advanced that what I know, making physics that much more difficult for me.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Paradox [Re: Idiot]
    #13430495 - 11/03/10 06:30 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

does the universe expand faster than the speed of light..?  It has to right?

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Re: Paradox [Re: PreparationH]
    #13430544 - 11/03/10 06:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yes
infact there is a light horizon which is basically the farthest distance we can see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_horizon#The_Universe_versus_the_observable_universe

--------------------

Offline34120060
Eocene Epoch
Male

#13430553 - 11/03/10 06:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Thats not going faster than 'c' though.  Light has an apparent speed through a medium that is slower than 'c', but it never goes faster than 'c'.  (It doesnt really go slower either, but that is a technicality when traveling through a medium.

I have a couple of thoughts, first off - you cant go faster than the speed of light or even reach the speed of light.  Its common for students to wonder what happens if you go faster than 'c' but its hard for them to understand thats a nonsensical premise from which you can draw no conclusion.  It would be like me asking, what if I am at the north pole and then I travel north more, what happens?  Thats a nonsensical situation you cannot conclude anything from it.  Same with traveling faster than speed of light.  Time doesn't go backwards, the equation breaks down and gives you imaginary time which has no physical meaning.

As for what you see... If you are traveling at 99% the speed of light, what would light look like to you?  It would still be traveling at the speed of light into your eyes.  It always does, no matter how fast you go.  This is a decidedly non-intuitive characteristic of our universe.  Speeds dont add like you think they would.  If you are traveling in a car at 60mph and throw a baseball at 10mph you would intuitively think that the ball will travel at 70mph relative to the ground.  This is not the case though, it would actually be a bit slower than 70mph.  Speeds dont add in the way we initially think they do.

This leads to what makaveli8x8 proposed...  Consider traveling 99% of 'c' and then within your spaceship launch a machine at .99% of 'c'.  Your intuitive thought would be that the machine is now going at .99c + .99c = 1.98c - but that is incorrect.  Velocities dont add that way.  .99c + .99c = 0.999949498c - still less than the speed of light. 

The velocity addition formula you expect is,
Formula: 0

But they really add like this,
Formula: 1

Its very weird that velocities add this way.  Its certainly one of the tripped out results of how our universe works that got me interested in physics.

:thumbup: /end thread

--------------------
"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy"

- Carl Sagan

OfflineI AM SWIM
doin' thangs
 User Gallery

Loc: Feels Changsta Man
Re: Paradox [Re: 34120060]
    #13430583 - 11/03/10 06:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

This is not a post.

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Re: Paradox [Re: I AM SWIM]
    #13430597 - 11/03/10 06:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I AM SWIM said:
This is not a post.

the only actual paradox in this thread

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Paradox [Re: Idiot]
    #13430615 - 11/03/10 06:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Idiot said:
That's awesome, I was looking into some of MITs recorded lectures on physics but it was not what I expected.  I realize physics in an advanced form of math, but I figured they'd use more hypothetical situations to help describe formulas rather than just diving into the formulas.  I guess the prerequisites for a physics class at MIT would be more advanced that what I know, making physics that much more difficult for me.

Im not sure I would call it an advanced form of math.  Maybe its better described as a science that uses advanced maths.  Normally when they just dive into the math, that because the equations speak for themselves.  Math describes some things better than words, so to convey the point math is used instead of words.  Of course this means that you have to speak the language of math to get the message they are conveying.

I assume the prereq for intro physics at MIT is the same as anywhere else, Calc I.  Its really hard to do any physics at all without calculus - and unfortunately calculus is a scary word to alot of people (for good reason).

edit - that said, special relativity is a very math-light area of physics.  You only need some algebra skills to 'do' most of it.  But you really need to twist your brain to conceptualize even a small portion of it.

Edited by DieCommie (11/03/10 06:59 PM)

Invisiblecollie man
Jai guru deva om
Male User Gallery

#13430619 - 11/03/10 06:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

When i drop acid i become faster then time.

Ponder that one.

--------------------

Offlineiamu
Sall Growman
Male

Loc: Ireland
Re: Paradox [Re: collie man]
    #13430995 - 11/03/10 08:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

can anyone here actually define time

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Re: Paradox [Re: iamu]
    #13431036 - 11/03/10 08:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

time is what a clock measures

--------------------

Offlinedestructo_low
Oh yeah!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Paradox [Re: CosmicFool]
    #13431105 - 11/03/10 08:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

What the fuck is the code for the clapping graemlin? :insert here:

--------------------
There is a molecule for every purpose. There are only actions and reactions. Cut out the middle men. Everything I say is a lie.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Paradox [Re: collie man]
    #13431134 - 11/03/10 08:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

collie man said:
When i drop acid i become faster then time.

Ponder that one.

pfft... BFD.  Ive been manipulating time with my mind + LSD since I was 15.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Paradox [Re: iamu]
    #13431206 - 11/03/10 09:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by DieCommie (11/11/16 09:49 AM)

Invisiblecollie man
Jai guru deva om
Male User Gallery

#13431212 - 11/03/10 09:05 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

iamu said:
can anyone here actually define time

In physics there are what appear to me to be two different interpretations of time.  The most common one is the interpretation from relativity where time is regarded as a dimension similar to the spatial dimensions.  So you have three coordinates for your x,y and z position and then another one, t, for your time position.  This description beautifully describes many phenomenon we see but I feel is a little lacking in the intuitive 'what is time' notion. 

The other interpretation is the thermodynamic interpretation.  Here the 'arrow of time' or the direction that time goes in is defined by disorder (entropy).  The law of thermodynamics states that disorder always increases overall.  This has been interpreted to define the direction that time goes in.  So we can consider time to be the process of going from a state of order to a state of disorder. 

Now bring in a little statistics... ordered states are less probable, in general, and disordered states are more probable.  If you have a handful of pennies and throw them on the ground is less probable that they will all land heads up (ordered), its more probable that they will land in a combination of heads and tails (disordered).  Consider a tornado blows trough your room - there is a small chance that it will clean everything (ordered) but there is a much bigger chance that it will tear the room up (disordered).  Extend this to cosmology and the universe and consider the most ordered and least probable state of the universe, that is the small dense hot universe just after the big bang.  This state is highly ordered and highly unlikely.  Time then starts by having that ordered state evolve into a less ordered more probable state where space expands and matter clumps together.  This progression continues, and because of statistics after every interaction you are more likely to be in a more probable state.  That means at the end of time the universe is in its most probable state and it has nowhere else to evolve into, this is the heat death of the universe. 

So to bring this back to us, consider an hourglass.  You start it in its least probable state - with this sand up.  And it progresses to its most probable state with its sand down.  This is the progression of time.  A pendulum clock is the same way, the weight in an up position is less probable than the down position.  And as the universe evolves the weight progresses to its most probable position - down.  All clocks have this feature, all things that seem to happen at regular intervals have this feature.  In this sense time is the progression from improbable states to more probable states.

Of course fundamentally 'what is _____, really?' is a question of philosophy and not physics or science.  Much of my blabbing here is just an interpretation of the fundamental science.

:freshwtf:

--------------------

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

#13431252 - 11/03/10 09:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Thats not going faster than 'c' though.  Light has an apparent speed through a medium that is slower than 'c', but it never goes faster than 'c'.  (It doesnt really go slower either, but that is a technicality when traveling through a medium.

I have a couple of thoughts, first off - you cant go faster than the speed of light or even reach the speed of light.  Its common for students to wonder what happens if you go faster than 'c' but its hard for them to understand thats a nonsensical premise from which you can draw no conclusion.  It would be like me asking, what if I am at the north pole and then I travel north more, what happens?  Thats a nonsensical situation you cannot conclude anything from it.  Same with traveling faster than speed of light.  Time doesn't go backwards, the equation breaks down and gives you imaginary time which has no physical meaning.

As for what you see... If you are traveling at 99% the speed of light, what would light look like to you?  It would still be traveling at the speed of light into your eyes.  It always does, no matter how fast you go.  This is a decidedly non-intuitive characteristic of our universe.  Speeds dont add like you think they would.  If you are traveling in a car at 60mph and throw a baseball at 10mph you would intuitively think that the ball will travel at 70mph relative to the ground.  This is not the case though, it would actually be a bit slower than 70mph.  Speeds dont add in the way we initially think they do.

This leads to what makaveli8x8 proposed...  Consider traveling 99% of 'c' and then within your spaceship launch a machine at .99% of 'c'.  Your intuitive thought would be that the machine is now going at .99c + .99c = 1.98c - but that is incorrect.  Velocities dont add that way.  .99c + .99c = 0.999949498c - still less than the speed of light. 

The velocity addition formula you expect is,
Formula: 0

But they really add like this,
Formula: 1

Its very weird that velocities add this way.  Its certainly one of the tripped out results of how our universe works that got me interested in physics.

im sorry but i have to claim the part where you say.. " first off - you cant go faster than the speed of light or even reach the speed of light." What if i fly myself into a black hole. I would apparently being traveling faster than the speed of light because even light cant excape the pull of it.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#13431361 - 11/03/10 09:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I dont think so.  You go into a black hole, you do so slower than the speed of light.

Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
    #13431395 - 11/03/10 09:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Offlineiamu
Sall Growman
Male

Re: Paradox [Re: the bizzle]
    #13433966 - 11/04/10 01:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

call it what you want, but time isnt real. things change, not over time. people are born they eat and grow, they dont grow because of time they grow because its what happens when you feed yourself and other shit. time is an illusion like a lot of other things. fuck measuring anything

--------------------

Offlinerealfuzzhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: above the smog layer Flag
Re: Paradox [Re: shroommachine]
    #13434123 - 11/04/10 01:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shroommachine said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Critique_of_Pure_Reason

jesus christ dude you understand this stuff? I thought i was a smart guy and this is old ass philosophy but the lost me at "a priori"

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Paradox [Re: realfuzzhead]
    #13435061 - 11/04/10 05:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Alright so the universe expands faster than the speed of light right...???

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Paradox [Re: PreparationH]
    #13435078 - 11/04/10 05:09 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Right.  The visible universe is about 100 billion light years across, but is only 13.7 billion years old.

Offlineiamu
Sall Growman
Male

#13435105 - 11/04/10 05:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

light runs in place just like this equation

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies