Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCubeBensies
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
A few notes on spraying spores to start patches * 9
    #13425527 - 11/02/10 08:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Last fall I made many bottles of spore solution, some with P. cyanescens and lots with P. azurescens.  I went around spraying every woodchip bed I could find hoping to introduce azurescens to the Puget Sound.  I made the spore solutions by making prints on foil and then submerging the prints in a bowl of water and rubbing the prints into the water with my fingers until the water turns a pretty dark purple.

Well, so far the azurescens spores have been a bust, I haven't found a single azure pin in any of the places I sprayed (I haven't gotten around to check every spray spot yet).  The cyan spores however have been a success.  I have found 6 cyanescens patches this year in places that I sprayed last year where there were no cyans around last fall.  I will admit that there is a chance that the cyans popped up on their own and would have been there without my spraying, but I find this pretty unlikely.

So go make some cyan spore solution you guys and get out there and spread the love!!!  I am using cardboard with the azurescens this year which will hopefully work.  I may also try rye->sawdust->alder chips as well if I have the time/motivation.  I really want to bring these azures closer to home!

As a last note, if you spray a woodchip bed, don't wager that there will be cyans there next year.  Out of the 100+ woodchip beds I sprayed, I found 6 new patches.  But hey, 6 new spots is better than 0, and its really easy to just walk around with a spray bottle sticking out of your pocket and spraying all the wood in sight.  Well, a lot easier than having to dig in public places to bury your spawn.  So even though there is no guarantee, it can't hurt and will only increase your chances of finding more mushrooms next year.

Good luck hunting everyone!

Cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: CubeBensies]
    #13425595 - 11/02/10 08:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

great thread and one worthy of discussion. so far this year i have only spread some pan subbs to a local park that has loads of horse shit. i hope it will work, i think it should. plus ive NEVER found these ever in my town so i hope they spread far and wide.

Has anyone had success with ovoids? subaeruginosa?  or any other Psilocybe ? we all know agar is the way to go but sometimes its just not possible. i like these ghetto techs.
I know wiscokid spread gyms this way and we are both trying conocybes this year. I remember reading pan subbs were pretty easy.

Has anyone tried the salt and sugar broth tech for spore germination in mycelium running?
I know last winter i experimented with stuntzii and cyanescen and both germinated. but then i poured the jars on not perfect habitats in haste . i think the fact it was an unatuaral time to have spores germinating didnt help either. I have alot of perfect habitat to experiment with now so i hope to try it all again.

--------------------

OfflineNiwita
Village Idiot
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under a Rock
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #13426983 - 11/03/10 01:16 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Awesome! I've been looking for info on this. Someone did it with Weilii's, I don't remember reading whether it was successful or not.

I'll be trying this with cubes soon, I've frequented a cow field FULL of shit with nothing but cup fungus on them, I'm going to spray the hell out of the field. :thumbup:

--------------------
:etbig::etbig::etbig:

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Loc: Graham, WA
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: Niwita]
    #13427236 - 11/03/10 03:11 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Great thread! I had some success with baeocystis this last year. but much like CubeBensies, only a few spots out of many produced this season. This year i'll be trying a bit with the extra cyanofibrillosa prints I have, just for fun. All in all, I think this is a great way to spread spores. Cheap, easy, and it works!

OfflineMet
Male User Gallery

Loc: Normandie, France Flag
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: NeoSporen]
    #13427339 - 11/03/10 04:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Say I grinded up some dried Subaeruginosa and mixed them with water; should this, theoretically, be a viable method of introducing spores to woodchip beds?

Offlinejustshroomin
Stranger

Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: NeoSporen]
    #13427346 - 11/03/10 04:54 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ill try P. Cubes here in Texas this coming april then early october if this thread is still alive ill post results. I will be growing my own cubes then spore printing ALL of them:syringe:. Either way ill have mushies :bigjoint: I prefer hunting than growing i just cant find any 35 mile radius of me. So maybe on a hunt to my favorite couple of fields i spray some patties and manure enriched soil while looking around, sound good?

Offlinedaz01
Learning
I'm a teapot

Loc: Scotland
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: justshroomin]
    #13427349 - 11/03/10 04:57 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'll be trying Azures here in Scotland soon :crazy2: Gonna make ALOT of substrate then colonize it all then spread it all along the garden and random public places. Then for winter and year round, make sure all the mycelium is nicely protected against winter!

--------------------
Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute or an hour or a day or even a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it will last forever.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: Met] * 2
    #13427361 - 11/03/10 05:05 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

In short - Yes.

I wouldn't use spores however, I'd use dykariotic mycelium. Well, to be honest, I'd just make huge amounts of clean liquid culture, but I realize that not everyone is in a position to work under laboratory conditions. So in short, what I'd do if I wanted to spread the love ghetto style, is to make cardboard culture and then scrape the mycelium off the cardboard and into a spray bottle or super soaker. Then Id be shaking the whole thing like a crazy mofo. Bingo - a bazillion tiny strands of mycelium. If you shoot that into the right substrate the mycelium can start colonizing the substrate immediately. If you use spores they will first have to germinate and the monokariotic mycelium will have to find the right mating partner. Using my method your chance of success is much higher and it is quicker.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineNiwita
Village Idiot
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: German Kahuna]
    #13427474 - 11/03/10 06:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

GK is a snob, don't listen to him. :tongue2:

Supersoak the shit out of your environment! :fonda:

--------------------

OfflineJoie
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #13427485 - 11/03/10 06:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
In short - Yes.

I wouldn't use spores however, I'd use dykariotic mycelium. Well, to be honest, I'd just make huge amounts of clean liquid culture, but I realize that not everyone is in a position to work under laboratory conditions. So in short, what I'd do if I wanted to spread the love ghetto style, is to make cardboard culture and then scrape the mycelium off the cardboard and into a spray bottle or super soaker. Then Id be shaking the whole thing like a crazy mofo. Bingo - a bazillion tiny strands of mycelium. If you shoot that into the right substrate the mycelium can start colonizing the substrate immediately. If you use spores they will first have to germinate and the monokariotic mycelium will have to find the right mating partner. Using my method your chance of success is much higher and it is quicker.

Good, mycelium in card is what I've been doing and I'll stick to that for starters, thanks!

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: Joie]
    #13427506 - 11/03/10 06:50 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Joie said:
Quote:

German Kahuna said:
In short - Yes.

Good, mycelium in card is what I've been doing and I'll stick to that for starters, thanks!

now what about germinating the spores in water first before spraying??

--------------------

OfflineNiwita
Village Idiot
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13427509 - 11/03/10 06:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think all they'll do is hydrate. You'd need nutes in there to get them germinating. (I think.)

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: Niwita] * 1
    #13427599 - 11/03/10 07:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That is correct. Add 4% clear honey to sterilized distilled water and you have a liquid culture medium. Unfortunately contaminants love that shit as well and if you go wild print straight to liquid culture very likely you'll be cultivating a lot of mold and bacteria as well. So you have to work with agar to clean up what you have and separate the good from the bad and the ugly. That is lab work and - again - not an option for everyone.

If I had to go makeshift I'd prefer the stem butts to cardboard route. Nevertheless, if all you have to work with are spores you can always make half a dozen jars of liquid culture trying your luck with inserting just a tiny bit of the print in each jar (the more you use, the bigger your chances of also introducing many contaminants are) and hoping for the best. Even if there is some mold taking a hold not all is lost in outdoor woodlover cultivation. Trichoderma doesn't seem to like hardwood much. I've never seen Trich on a piece of wood under regular outdoor conditions. And I have spawned severely trich contaminated azurescens (conifer) sawdust spawn to hardwood chips and the bed did just fine and fruited the following fall.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #13427644 - 11/03/10 07:57 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

psylosymonreturns said:

Has anyone tried the salt and sugar broth tech for spore germination in mycelium running?

I'm about to give the spore slurry and cardboard a go!

--------------------
I'm still here  :wink:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #13427668 - 11/03/10 08:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
In short - Yes.

That is an excellent method.  Thanks for sharing it.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: German Kahuna] * 1
    #13427703 - 11/03/10 08:23 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
That is correct. Add 4% clear honey to sterilized distilled water and you have a liquid culture medium. Unfortunately contaminants love that shit as well and if you go wild print straight to liquid culture very likely you'll be cultivating a lot of mold and bacteria as well. So you have to work with agar to clean up what you have and separate the good from the bad and the ugly. That is lab work and - again - not an option for everyone.

If I had to go makeshift I'd prefer the stem butts to cardboard route. Nevertheless, if all you have to work with are spores you can always make half a dozen jars of liquid culture trying your luck with inserting just a tiny bit of the print in each jar (the more you use, the bigger your chances of also introducing many contaminants are) and hoping for the best. Even if there is some mold taking a hold not all is lost in outdoor woodlover cultivation. Trichoderma doesn't seem to like hardwood much. I've never seen Trich on a piece of wood under regular outdoor conditions. And I have spawned severely trich contaminated azurescens (conifer) sawdust spawn to hardwood chips and the bed did just fine and fruited the following fall.

What psilosymon is referring to is Stamets' method in Mycelium Running (if you aren't familiar with it).

1/4 teaspoon noniodized salt and 1 tablespoon of sugar or light molasses to 1 gallon of water.  Boil for 10 minutes.  Pour into containers.

When cool add 1 teaspoon (1 g.) of spores and incubate for 24-48 hours at 50-80oF.  During incubation shake vigorously.

Spray on appropriate substrate.

The salt knocks down the bacteria and the other molds probably wouldn't take hold on appropriate substrate.

Tests are bring performed right now to watch for germination with a specific species.

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
I've never seen Trich on a piece of wood under regular outdoor conditions.

Pretty rare, but I've seen it on logs plug spawned with a sporeless G. luteus.  I don't think I snapped a pic.

--------------------

OfflineNiwita
Village Idiot
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #13427712 - 11/03/10 08:27 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

When cool add 1 teaspoon (1 g.) of spores and incubate for 24-48 hours at 50-80oF.  During incubation shake vigorously

1 teaspoon is a lot of fucking spores.

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Estonia Flag
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #13427713 - 11/03/10 08:27 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Great thread! I have already been formulating my action plans for doing just this for several different species here in Estonia. I like the 4% honey solution, I was already thinking of giving this a try myself as I am unable to do any real sterile and or lab type work at the present. Young children are a blessing but they certainly need a lot of your time. As there aren't very many hardwood chip beds here in Estonia though I'm going to have to build my own. Anyone know if birch will work as well as alder?

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Estonia Flag
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: Niwita]
    #13427715 - 11/03/10 08:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Niwita said:
Quote:

When cool add 1 teaspoon (1 g.) of spores and incubate for 24-48 hours at 50-80oF.  During incubation shake vigorously

1 teaspoon is a lot of fucking spores.

Make that a fuck of a lot of fucking spores - shit. I'm not even sure I could comprehend how many that would be.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: A few notes on spraying spores to start patches [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #13427720 - 11/03/10 08:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've got a mix of apple, birch, and alder.  hope so!

--------------------
I'm still here  :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder