Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAustrip
P. Sub
Male

Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics?
    #13422123 - 11/02/10 06:42 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So if we could see at least some of our favourite psychedelic drugs actually ever become legalized in our lifetime (LSD, Psilocybin, MDMA for example), do you believe society as a whole is even ready for that at this point in time?

Will society truly ever be ready for that?

What exactly is holding us back (besides the law) to attaining the status of being allowed to put these chemicals into our body if we wish?

Please share your thoughts.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskippyluvs
Always

Loc: Urth aka earth aka # 1 pi...
Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: Austrip]
    #13422142 - 11/02/10 06:56 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Not for a long time if ever.

Edited by skippyluvs (11/02/10 09:47 AM)

OfflineLuckeyMA
I catapult downtown...
 User Gallery

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: skippyluvs]
    #13422155 - 11/02/10 07:00 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

in the state im in i say bring um on...  for whoever wants them....

--------------------
"Consciousness survives the death of the body on which it rides"...

*Disclaimer*

Everything written from this account are meant for amusement purposes ONLY.  Everything written or posted from this account are NOT TRUE.

Invisiblerezen
Time Traveler
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: Austrip]
    #13422182 - 11/02/10 07:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Look how long it is taking for marijuana to be legalized....these substances have no chance of being legal for many years. I wish LSD was legal I think our species would advance sooo fast if this was the case.

OfflineLuckeyMA
I catapult downtown...
 User Gallery

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: rezen]
    #13422185 - 11/02/10 07:19 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

true

--------------------

*Disclaimer*

Everything written from this account are meant for amusement purposes ONLY.  Everything written or posted from this account are NOT TRUE.

Offlineaurablaze
Stranger

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: LuckeyMA]
    #13422221 - 11/02/10 07:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well I read another post on here yesterday where this guy did shrooms with a few people and his girlfriend, needless to say she had a really bad trip and she freaked. She wanted them burned and thrown away because she thinks that they shouldn't exist.

So yah people just aren't ready. People can barely handle alcohol never mind psychedelics. I also see quite often where people will do retarded things such as taking a really high dose or combining different drugs without any foresight into what they're doing.

--------------------
"If theres one thing that psychedelics do is make things seem profound no matter what they are. You can look at a rock and find the meaning of life." - sui

InvisibleAustrip
P. Sub
Male

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: LuckeyMA]
    #13422239 - 11/02/10 07:55 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Personally I think that we are ready as a psychedelic society to have the tools available to those who wish for them.
For the general public and the masses, I'm not so sure, this world is a crazy place right now.

--------------------

Edited by Austrip (11/02/10 11:45 AM)

InvisibleDebuteMachine

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: Austrip] * 1
    #13422340 - 11/02/10 08:50 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Um definitively no. LSA could probably be lower classified, and maybe mushrooms as well. thats just too much responsibility for a country that doesnt teach the individual how to think for itself...

OfflineLuckeyMA
I catapult downtown...
 User Gallery

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: DebuteMachine]
    #13422636 - 11/02/10 10:19 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

dude lsd is available to the mass...  seek it and she will find

--------------------

*Disclaimer*

OfflineLuckeyMA
I catapult downtown...
 User Gallery

#13422642 - 11/02/10 10:20 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

and the next wave is hear...  i think ifeel

--------------------

*Disclaimer*

OfflineAldebaran
Psilo-Scribe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Altered States of Europe
    #13423524 - 11/02/10 01:22 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Don't forget that sclerotia is sold legally and openly in the Netherlands, which means that it is easy to consume large doses of psilocybin legally (how long this will remain the case is open to debate - I'm waiting for the next "tourist does stupid stuff on drugs" media frenzy).

The sale of powerful psychedelic drugs in shops appears to have almost no effect on society in the Netherlands. It's just not something that the average person wishes to try, legal or not. People might experiment with this kind of stuff in their teens, but not many have a wish to become psychonauts. Every few months, a tourist (or occasionally a local person) will make the news for crazy antics during their trips - running around naked, freaking out or jumping from a building - but on the whole, it would appear that if you have very strong psychedelic drugs on open sale in your towns and cities that NOTHING MUCH HAPPENS.

The idea that society is "not ready" for psychedelics is just an excuse for keeping them illegal. If the classic psychedelic drugs were made legal everywhere, there would be a larger psychedelic subculture, but I don't think society as a whole would take much notice once the media frenzy subsided. The gradual acceptance of legal psychedelics might slowly change the way society views and uses them, but I highly doubt there would be either a "psychedelic revolution" or a devastating moral decline. Mostly, the people that take these drugs already would continue to do so, without the threat of state persecution.

There would be occasional deaths due to accidents occuring during trips (same as now), some people would "lose it" from overuse or mental health issues (same as now), teenagers would do the same kind of stupid stuff they always do, parents would worry, but I don't think that much would change in society, we would just be living in a more tolerant and interesting world. For the government to seek to control the kind of thoughts that it is possible to have is abhorrent.

--------------------
I wrote that, but I meant something else

Offlinepsychedelico
day trippin

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: Aldebaran]
    #13423599 - 11/02/10 01:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Psychedelics will be legalized. As pot comes closer and closer to legalization, I've noticed that psychedelics are gaining more media coverage, often in a positive light. Also, with the internet, the evolution of technology and ideas is speeding up. People are educating themselves about drugs. It is becoming a lot harder for the government to dupe people into believing their lies about drugs.

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: psychedelico]
    #13423628 - 11/02/10 01:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Historically it seems psychedelics have played an important role in most cultures, and yet has nevertheless remained in the foreground, surrounded by various taboos. Even the indigenous societies that have integrated shamanic plant usage have developed certain norms that are associated with appropriateness of use.

Ironically, this proves the very point that psychedelic researchers are indicating when we say that they offer access to meaningful altered states of consciousness: the very fact most societies develop tensions with incorporating these substances indicates they are, in fact, very powerful.

--------------------

OfflineJonnyBtreed
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northeast
Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: The Whale]
    #13424671 - 11/02/10 05:05 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

well in the US they've been treating Cluster Headaches with psilicybin for a couple years now. Its been very effective. I've seen it on the news a couple times now.

OfflineHip50Flip
Basement Shaman

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: JonnyBtreed]
    #13424831 - 11/02/10 05:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

LEGALIZATION *gasp*
My God man think of the implications...robotic prep justin timberlake lookin motherfuckers suffering ego death. It would bring about the collapse of our grand social hierarchy !

--------------------
Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!

InvisibleFractalDust
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: Hip50Flip]
    #13425014 - 11/02/10 06:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hip50Flip said:
LEGALIZATION *gasp*
My God man think of the implications...robotic prep justin timberlake lookin motherfuckers suffering ego death. It would bring about the collapse of our grand social hierarchy !

Perfect. :awethumb:

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: FractalDust]
    #13425258 - 11/02/10 08:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hip50Flip said:
LEGALIZATION *gasp*

Speaking of "ego death" alongside any reference to an external "other" is a bit contradictory.

The collapse of the individual carries with it the social circus we all presume to be a real, inhabited phenomenon, including all the Justin Timberlakes and even Jesus.

How can "society" collapse, when upon reaching ego death, it becomes apparent there never was a society.

--------------------

OfflineHip50Flip
Basement Shaman

Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: The Whale]
    #13425526 - 11/02/10 08:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The Whale said:
Quote:

Hip50Flip said:
LEGALIZATION *gasp*

Speaking of "ego death" alongside any reference to an external "other" is a bit contradictory.

The collapse of the individual carries with it the social circus we all presume to be a real, inhabited phenomenon, including all the Justin Timberlakes and even Jesus.

How can "society" collapse, when upon reaching ego death, it becomes apparent there never was a society.

Well the society is a reflection of the autonomous collective consciousness. The collective unconscious drive is illuminated during ego loss....and for one totally ego drivin, (maddened by realizing that the ego's aim is nonsence and blindness), a humility arises and modern society is shown to be what it is.....shit. equality, harmony, spirituality are now preferred to the

--------------------
Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!

Offlinea2theDawG

Loc: 2 Da Brain
Re: Is society ready for total legalization of certain psychedelics? [Re: Hip50Flip]
    #13425584 - 11/02/10 08:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

no and if you think so you're not being realistic/ you're stupid

Offlinecatalyst
Mmhmmm...
Male

Loc: Here (or There)
    #13425606 - 11/02/10 08:57 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

It is my conviction that psychedelics are not here to be consumed by the masses. While I wish that a majority of the general population could arrive at the same understandings that the psychedelic experience has allowed me to have, I think it is ultimately idealistic.

Realistically speaking, though, I suppose the illegality of these substances only increases their desirability. It's a double-edged sword, I guess, and a touchy subject. But, regarding the original question, I just don't see how society could ever accept psychedelic use in my lifetime. In the mean time, I will keep my mouth shut and continue my journeys :tripping:

--------------------
"Tears themselves interest me greatly -- but not the tears of melancholy hindsight and existential despair;
rather the tears of awe you experience when the realization of an ideal suddenly appears before your very eyes or thunders inside your mind;
these tears interest me." - Philip Hallie

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract