Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespacebawls
Fried CollegeStudent

Loc: Zanarkand
Shrooms on bottom of cake
    #1342025 - 02/28/03 03:56 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Bill Cosby has two half pint PF cakes of Golden Teacher that matured before his others.  He put them in a plastic trash can (very clean) with wet perlite on the bottom with their vermiculite side down.  This was a week ago, now all of his cakes are in a large chamber.  Today, he noticed some small shroomies (FINALLY! HIS FIRST BABIES!) on the bottom of the cakes around the vermiculite.  He turned the two cakes over this morning and there was a crapload of pins on the bottom of his cakes, many were aborts. . . probably cause they were directly under the cake, but they are removed now.  Anyone else have this happen to them before?  (Sorry about not having any pics, camera is at home)  Bill is also a newbie and would appreciate any comments.  :grin: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemtglu
Hundredaire

Loc: California
Re: Shrooms on bottom of cake [Re: spacebawls]
    #1342036 - 02/28/03 04:04 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I just recieved a frantic call from Bush Sr, who is also just birthed his first cakes, and he was worried about pins on the bottom, and whether this is an issue.

--------------------
" I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up." "

-Mitch Hedberg

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1342051 - 02/28/03 04:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

comment: quit messing with your cakes. don't worry about where they come from (top/sides/bottom). if they come, pick them and leave it. if they don't come, THEN worry about what's wrong.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlinenomez_
The Rev.

Loc: Somewhere over the Pacifi...
    #1342103 - 02/28/03 04:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

On one of this dude I know's first grow, he found that his cakes werent pinning very well and decided to look underneath them to see if anything was going on. He found tons of pins that hadnt aborted so he flipped the cake and got a nice 3 dry gram flush. All of the shrooms grew from the bottem, where, without the flipping, the pins would have aborted.
But now this dude doesnt 'play' with the cakes anymore, he just lets 'em fruit how they want.

--------------------
--------------------------
Just a Smart Monkey

Offlinespacebawls
Fried CollegeStudent

Re: Shrooms on bottom of cake [Re: nomez_]
    #1342143 - 02/28/03 05:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

So you're all sayin Bill should have left the cake alone. It's OK though cause he just turned those two over and will leave the others the way they are, he even made a small 50/50 casing of B+ from a pint jar, he hopes it'll work.

Offlineshellacct
addict

Loc: BAD DOG!
    #1342185 - 02/28/03 05:34 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

the reason they are all pinning only on the bottom is because thats where all the moisture is going... you can blame gravity for this.... Its not really a problem, unless the top gets really dry... next time around make your substrate with SLIGHTLY more water and it *SHOULD* pin in a more uniform fashion.

--------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer J. Simpson

In the above, Any and all references to reality are entirely fictional.

Offlinespacebawls
Fried CollegeStudent

Re: Shrooms on bottom of cake [Re: shellacct]
    #1342216 - 02/28/03 05:48 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Bill will definitely do that next time he makes some jars.  The little babies are already starting to grow larger from just this morning!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: 

OfflineOKKuato
Amazon BasinRepresentative

Loc: A small planet in the esc...
    #1342328 - 02/28/03 06:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This problem is discussed in some Tek, I can't recall which one. The writer of that tek claimed that if the cake is pinning all over the bottom, then flip the cake over. The pins on bottom will start to grow upward (toward your light source) and you will most likely get new pins on the new bottom (formerly the top).

Again, this is not something I have tested, but do remember reading. If this information is wrong, someone with more knowledge please pipe in and correct me.

Peace

--------------------
Everybody knows what is going wrong with the world,
I don't even know what's going on . . . in myself.

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shrooms on bottom of cake [Re: nomez_]
    #1342336 - 02/28/03 06:47 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

my friend had this bucket set up; and I'm afraid he used too little water with the perlite... so massive ammounts of pins formed on the bottom of the cakes - a sign that they prefered the higher humidity underneath the cakes.

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: Shrooms on bottom of cake [Re: shellacct]
    #1342339 - 02/28/03 06:48 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I'm having the same thing happen, only it's different and weird. I noticed that my cakes were all pinning on the bottom and so turned them over, vermiculite side up, with the idea that it might encourage better flushes.

Thing is... I'm still getting most of my pins on the bottom, meaning the side that used to be the top which has no vermiculite on it. What can it all mean? On the plus side they don't just hang out there and drown, they grow out from under the cake on the sides and seek the light. Their stems are all flat on one side, though.

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shrooms on bottom of cake [Re: Chibboleth]
    #1342346 - 02/28/03 06:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

oh yea - and my friend birthed htem verm side up from the start... a little more flat on the non-verm side.

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
Re: Shrooms on bottom of cake [Re: Chibboleth]
    #1342360 - 02/28/03 06:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

To everyone with this problem... if you want to STOP this from happening, put your cakes on some plastic lids. ALso, you should put some vermiculite or coir in the lids to give your cakes more moisture. These "wide-mouth plastic storage caps" are usually sold right next to the jars. Here's some pics for ya.

Hawaiians

PFs

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

Edited by ClosetCase (02/28/03 07:00 AM)

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: Shrooms on bottom of cake [Re: ClosetCase]
    #1342379 - 02/28/03 07:05 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Mine are sitting on the half-pint jar lids.

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #1342448 - 02/28/03 07:43 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Putting a layer of moist verm. on the top (previously bottom) of your cakes will encourage pinning here.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom