Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Gypsum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Cheap Soundproofing
    #1341773 - 02/28/03 02:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm looking for the most efficient, and cheapest way of soundproofing a garage as best I can. Right now it's just a frame on the walls with no insulation. I will most likely be building a small room inside the garage from the jam space. Reading on a soundproofing site how to best soundproof sounded like it was quite expensive, buying all this special material, and metal channels that seperate the drywall from the studs and whatnot. Also said that the black asphalt roll roofing they use on roofs under the shingles are good for absorbing sound and should be used since it's cheap.

My question is can I soundproof for around $200? Wood for frame is taken care of.. we need to buy sheetrock, or drywall..and the roll roofing... and we can get tons of free carpet. My basic plan of attack was to put insulation inbetween the studs, then lay some asphalt roll roofing over the studs, then somehow isolate the drywall from being directly on the studs, so as to make an air gap, then having double sheets of drywall. On top of the drywall we'll put another layer of the black roof roll stuff and layer of carpet on top of that. Will that seal the sound in enough?? Any tips for creating a good solid soundproofed garage? We don't need completely soundproofed.. just enough so it's not loud outside.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cheap Soundproofing [Re: Shroomism]
    #1343428 - 02/28/03 05:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Can someone move this to OTD or The Pub please.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1355802 - 03/07/03 12:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yep...

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1356018 - 03/07/03 04:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Those Bed mats that go ontop of the matress with the bumps on em. Its cheap, and if you cover the garage with that, MAYBE it'll be soundproof.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineUnknown
Confused,dizzy,wheream I again?
Loc: MA
    #1361491 - 03/09/03 10:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

As a fellow musician: forget the "soundproofing for $200" that's almost as bad as saying "shroom growing for 25 cents" You might be able to do it,it won't be SOUNDPROOF but it should cut back on the sound that leaks. You want air space in between two wall if possible.In your case I'd hang up the thickest material I could find all the way around and then putting several layers of those eggcarton foam bed thing like he said

--------------------
The above is just like,my opinion man

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cheap Soundproofing [Re: Anonymous]
    #1364450 - 03/11/03 02:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

According to soundproofing.com..egg carton type foam and mattress foam is under 'myths' as being virtually worthless for soundproofing qualities. Says in some cases it can actually increase the sound levels. Basically after doing a lot of research I've discovered that if you want to do it right.. it's gonna be expensive. You can't really soundproof the right way, cheaply. We're just gonna do it as cheaply as possible though, since that is our only option. Basically what we are going to do is stick some dense, closed cell foam in between the studs. Cheap at home depot.. like $5 for a big sheet. Then we are going to put up two layers of drywall..double thickness.. and put carpet over top of that. Hopefully that will do a good enough job of soundproofing that the neighbors wont get pissed. I read that the best way is to isolate the drywall from the actual studs, so you have these metal channels that holds the drywall on, and allows flex.. thus creating the much needed air gap...

--------------------

InvisibleFick_Duck
Truffle Shuffle
Male

Loc: The Hamburger Train
    #1364653 - 03/11/03 04:57 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

its not gonna be totally sound proof. those eggshell mattress things are more to keep the sound from echoing off the wall so your room wont sound so much like a box, but the carpet will do that. we built a room in our old base mentand used a shitload of insulation and that great stuff shit thats in spray cans, then we put a layer of that shit that goes under carpets like 6 inches away from the wall then carpet all around 6 inches from that. itsounded just like a studio inside the room, sound just died , didnt bounce off any thing, it was wierd talking in there, your voice dissapeared when it came out your mouth... any way. you could still hear us playing from like a block away, and it was in an apartment complex so it sucked cause all our efforts were pretty much for nothing, and we spent well over 2oo dollars on that shit too. not to say that it didnt help, it was alot better than nothing, but not near as good as we hoped it would be.
hope my discouragement helped. basically the only way to do it right is to buy all that exspensive ass shit thats made for sound proofing, i learned the hard way.

good luck.

--------------------
"To know life you must fuck it in the liver." -Dr. Frankenstein, Andy Warhols Frankenstein

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Cheap Soundproofing [Re: Fick_Duck]
    #1364747 - 03/11/03 05:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Where I am some public telephone booths have special soundproofing round them, like metal panels with little holes all over and some special material inside. They seem to work pretty well. Some of them are eminently takeawayable too, and as our telco makes $160 profit per second, there shouldn't be any moral issues.

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

Edited by MetaShroom (03/11/03 05:46 AM)

OfflineGetTheFuckOut
Long Gone.
 User Gallery
Re: Cheap Soundproofing [Re: MetaShroom]
    #1364867 - 03/11/03 06:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

you can get that eggshell foam at guitar center for a decent price i thinks...my band is loud as shit, but we play 15 miles from the nearest town, so I figure its legal to make shitloads of noise. one night we played with 2 bassists, damn, it was so fucking loud, 400watt hartke amps and 280watt of keyboard power + drums and guitar, damn!!!

--------------------
<
I have logged in this once so that I can set the "last seen" feature up.  let the faggots flow forth into OTD and have it.  Its funny how they all grew nuts after I left.  I'm not here, I'm not reading, but I urge you all to keep melting down over me.  I know, I hurt alot of people, and they deserved it.  epic win for me, epic fail for you. 

ythan, you rock dude.  i feel that my time at the shroomery was very positive and enjoyable, but this site is no longer for me. im not mad or upset or disappointed, i just want no part in a pg rated faggot festival.
<

OfflineHafrican
Mega-ultrachicken

Loc: SW Azerbaijan
Re: Cheap Soundproofing [Re: GetTheFuckOut]
    #1366481 - 03/11/03 03:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The problem with soundproofing is both the type of insulation and the seams.
Given it's more than $200, but the best way to do it would be to get some fiberglass insulation (batting), fill it in the stud cavities, and cover with gypsum board. The seams will still be an issue -- I would recomend acoustic sealant foam. Do a search for "USG" and you should be able to dig something up.
There is also this stuff called Sound Barrier 440. It is made by Homasote and you would use it like sheet rock. Homasote is cheap as shit IME.
You can also build a second wood frame wall like 3-4 inches from your existing wall. Fill with insulation and cover with gypsum board. The cavity in between the two cuts down on the vibration and sound transmission.
You can find more information at (hold on):
http://www.usg.com/Design_Solutions/2_3_12D_system.asp
I hate to say it, but if you are going to bother doing it -- do it right! If you are in a city, you might be able to find a practice space for a year or two that's cheaper than doing it right though ....
rock rock on.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Gypsum

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media