Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTetragammatron
Burgeoning
 User Gallery

Loc: There! Where? There on th... Flag
Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine?
    #13372636 - 10/22/10 05:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

OK, I know there are a few Linux Mint threads on here, and very informative they are too!
Even the Ubuntu/Linux forums are good, but I thought I'd ask here to get some answers...

Right - I'm running W7 (pre-installed) on a Samsung R530 (dual 2.2GHz, 4Gb Ram, 500GB HDD)

I actually have no running problems on this machine, but with all this monopoly Microsoft have, I'm tempted to try another O/S.

I like the look of Linux Mint 9 - but am kinda stumped as to what version to try? RC, Debian, Fluxbox, XFCE, KDE???
What are the benefits of the different versions offered?

I can build my own PC, and tweak settings, but I'm no programmer.
I don't do games, but I do photo editing, and lots of music production. I use the web alot and download often. Watch a fair few films etc...

Does it make sense to dual boot? Keeping W7 as main OS and LM9, or do I shove W7 altogether and go for a pure LM9 O/S?

:argh:

Advice and opinions greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineH2G2
Dentarthurdent
Male User Gallery

Re: Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine? [Re: Tetragammatron]
    #13372743 - 10/22/10 06:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have the XFCE version of Linux Mint 9 on my ridiculously underpowered old HP Mini 1000 netbook and I am very pleased with the switch from Windows XP.  The interface is very user friendly with tons of apps and easy customization.  I love that it is based off of Ubuntu and is pretty compatible out of the box. I had to download one wireless card driver, but everything else has been gravy.

The benefit of the XFCE version is that it is quite lightweight and actually improved my battery life from 2 hours with Windows XP to nearly 4 hours with the hard disk spin down option.  I did not have space on this 16 Gb solid state to dual boot, but I would just to maintain the overall compatibility of Windows since it is pretty much a standard in games and most commercial applications.  Plus, you can always go back and get rid of that Windows partition if you decide it's useless later on.

Open source is amazing though, very surprising to an old Windows fanboy like myself.

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine? [Re: H2G2]
    #13372811 - 10/22/10 06:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

H2G2 said:
improved my battery life from 2 hours with Windows XP to nearly 4 hours with the hard disk spin down option.  I did not have space on this 16 Gb solid state to dual boot

SSD dont spin...

OP, id probably say to just go with the standard version. youre not exactly hurting for horsepower..

the Debian version is supposed to be nice but maybe a tiny bit more buggy. its nice that its rolling release though which means you never have to reinstall.. it just keeps getting updated little by little instead of one giant release every 6 months.

i cant program worth a shit and ive used linux for nearly 10 years.

check out some of the podcast archives from Linux Reality. that was made specifically for new linux users.
http://www.linuxreality.com/archives.php

and my buddy klaatu does a podcast that often focuses on multimedia production/photo editing/etc. look along the left side for past seasons. and just so you arent confused, he recently changed the shows name from The Bad Apples to GNU World Order.
http://thebadapples.info/

EDIT: actually.. if you wanted to go with the Release Candidate for LM 10 then you wouldnt have to upgrade. the final version of LM 10 will probably be out in the next week or two.

there are a couple little bugs but it doesnt look like anything crazy. id say go with that one.

--------------------

Edited by frith (10/22/10 06:20 PM)

OfflineH2G2
Dentarthurdent
Male User Gallery

Re: Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine? [Re: frith]
    #13372854 - 10/22/10 06:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

frith said:
Quote:

H2G2 said:
improved my battery life from 2 hours with Windows XP to nearly 4 hours with the hard disk spin down option.  I did not have space on this 16 Gb solid state to dual boot

SSD dont spin...

I know that, but it still gives me a much better battery life and I found this option to be a highlight for low power machines, I didn't know if maybe the OP was looking for more battery life...

OfflineTetragammatron
Burgeoning
 User Gallery

Loc: There! Where? There on th... Flag
Re: Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine? [Re: H2G2]
    #13374965 - 10/23/10 06:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the help guys :smile:

I used to have a streamlined version of XP-Pro on a desktop machine which, over 4 years, never crashed once.
But now I have a machine with a good amount of horsepower, I'd like to maximise it's efficiency. Windows can't be the solution, and looking at various Ubuntu/Linux O/S' it definitely looks like the best way to go.

I'll look at the links provided, and decide in the next few weeks.

I use as much open-source & free software as possible. Open Office, Gimp etc...

I like to look of LM10, and might give it a go when it comes out as a full version.

Thanks again!

Anyone else wanting to chime in with their opinion, feel free!

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
Re: Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine? [Re: Tetragammatron]
    #13381463 - 10/24/10 05:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to dual boot, particularly if you have games and other tools that only run on windows.

Although i'm a Mepis user. I certainly recommend Linux Mint with KDE or XFCE as a system that typically just works, has good support and resources, and does it all very well. If you're going to stuff around, get your hands dirty with linux i could recommend other distros (not that you can't get your hands dirty with any distro!)

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine? [Re: flangenips]
    #13384625 - 10/25/10 11:21 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

wow mepis.. i havent heard that one in ages.

i think things got a little shaky with them when they switched to an Ubuntu base and then back to Debian within the same year.. who knows though :shrug:

--------------------

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
Re: Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine? [Re: frith]
    #13390398 - 10/26/10 01:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yeah i think that was around 6.0 and 7.0.
8.0 i didn't like to much, but 8.5 seems much better. Mepis lovers forums are decent for support. 6.5 was my best experience with it though in regards to everything (stability, repositories, etc). Though i'm considering giving arch linux a go soon

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Linux Mint...dual-boot/install on a Widoze 7 machine? [Re: flangenips]
    #13393058 - 10/26/10 11:16 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

flangenips said:
i'm considering giving arch linux a go soon

youll love it. IMO it is the perfect distro. ive run Arch for about 4 years now. couldnt imagine using anything else.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order