Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Bonsai'd buds (a how to) [Re: neuro]
    #3047607 - 08/25/04 05:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Great How-to! Ive been looking for a good guide to make bonsais to bud. All I could find was how to make bonsai mothers :frown:.  Youve made my dream come true :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bonsai'd buds (a how to) [Re: neuro]
    #3049215 - 08/25/04 04:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yeah. awesome guide. i'll keep it in mind if i ever grow again.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflinePinkFloydRocks
Stranger
Re: Bonsai'd buds (a how to) [Re: Locus]
    #4313113 - 06/19/05 04:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I was just wondering if you let those plants seed and the polinating male was a bonsai too and you did it for a few years like maybe 5 or so would you notice any difference in the size of the plant? Would the DNA actully be able to change after a period of time? How long would this period be. That would be cool to pass this technique on and keep letting them go to seeds for a bunch of people generations untill the seeds just grew into bonsai plants with no special care. dont really know anything about genetics so my appologies if it is stupid and would never work. I do know that things adapt to there surrounding however this takes way longer then the life of a person. Anyways would it work?

--------------------
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
-John Lennon

"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war."
-Albert Einstein

Invisibleytse
MycoEngineering apprentice
 User Gallery

Loc: Yuggoth
Re: Bonsai'd buds (a how to) [Re: PinkFloydRocks]
    #4313176 - 06/19/05 05:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm It seems that you didn?t pay a lot o attention to biology classes at school?  :blush:

What you say is Lamarcs theory which is not right.  :confused:
Make a search for Lamarcs evolution theory!
Acquired characteristics do not get inherited.

--------------------
For unrestricted use, the West has permitted alcohol and tobacco;
all other chemical Doors in the Wall are labeled Dope,
and their unauthorized takers are Fiends.

Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

OfflinePinkFloydRocks
Stranger
Re: Bonsai'd buds (a how to) [Re: ytse]
    #4313628 - 06/19/05 12:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

LOL okay. I was just wondering if it was possible. I actually dont remember anything about that from biology. I remember hearing something about plants changing like that but wasnt to sure if i heard it worked or didnt work, Thanks for clearing it up =)

--------------------
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
-John Lennon

"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war."
-Albert Einstein

Invisibleglobos
Regular User
 User Gallery

Re: Bonsai'd buds (a how to) [Re: PinkFloydRocks]
    #12447975 - 04/24/10 05:35 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

SWIM says she's going to try this technique. Seeds are germinating. She'd like to know how long she must keep on pruning. The main concern is the month of August, when she's not going to be around. Any advice would be welcome.

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Near Chicago
Re: Bonsai'd buds (a how to) [Re: globos]
    #12449825 - 04/24/10 02:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:popcorn: This is an awesome application of pinching back! 

Edited by kiyote (04/24/10 02:40 PM)

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Near Chicago
Re: Bonsai'd buds (a how to) [Re: kiyote]
    #12449891 - 04/24/10 02:52 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I was just wondering if you let those plants seed and the polinating male was a bonsai too and you did it for a few years like maybe 5 or so would you notice any difference in the size of the plant? Would the DNA actully be able to change after a period of time? How long would this period be. That would be cool to pass this technique on and keep letting them go to seeds for a bunch of people generations untill the seeds just grew into bonsai plants with no special care. dont really know anything about genetics so my appologies if it is stupid and would never work. I do know that things adapt to there surrounding however this takes way longer then the life of a person. Anyways would it work?

The thing is that acquired traits aren't passed on to their children, which was believed for a while until Darwin posted his book Origin of Species.  For example, a horse who stretches out his neck to eat from higher branches will not pass on his longer neck to his children and in a number of generations, become a giraffe. 

Rather, there are random changes in the genetics from generation to generation, and those individuals with beneficial changes breed more than other members of their species from generation to generation until the change becomes ubiquitous.  If you wanted to apply this method to pot, you could try to selectively pollinate plants that are shorter, and in a long period of time, maybe get a dwarf plant.  But cutting the plant in a bonsai style won't cause a change in genetics.

(Oops, didn't realize that this was already answered!  Hopefully this explains more though!  xD)

Offlinephilrathbone
Stranger
Re: UPDATE: Bonsai'd buds (a how to): flowering [Re: neuro]
    #13379779 - 10/24/10 10:54 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm new to the whole growing scene I guess you could say. I know what i'm doing but i'm looking to keep my plants small. You said that your plants were about a foot tall. Do they put out a good yield or not so good?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag