Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Is philosophy just for those who failed to adapt to life? [Re: circastes]
    #13383720 - 10/25/10 03:52 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

circastes said:

I think it's important to spread happiness like it were an airborne virus.

This thread is not a good example.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
Re: Is philosophy just for those who failed to adapt to life? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #13383746 - 10/25/10 04:12 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm trying to turn their frowns upside down.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#13383754 - 10/25/10 04:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That line worked on me.

--------------------

Offlinehalo
Tripper
Male

Re: Is philosophy just for those who failed to adapt to life? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #13383797 - 10/25/10 04:38 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I think Circastes may be tripping.

Either way, I understand what Circastes is saying while I don't fully agree with it. I agree with it in the sense that I believe that our world is essentially perfect and there's not much we can do. It took a while to realize that but everythings in its place and right on course, and anything we do is what we were supposed to do all along.

But if you knew what you were supposed to do you could choose not to do it right?

On one sense I agree that this world is essentially meaningless and that I really don't have to care about anything. I can take joyful delight in the world without being attached and such and such. At least that's the idea.

Yet at the same time we are here now and will remain here and now until we die. I find philosophy most applicable when considered from this point. Okay, I'm here but now what should I do while I'm here? Right now my modus operandi philosophy is that that which I should do while here is have the most fun possible. This may not be the best idea.

I also take issue with the idea that you consider most philosophical types as people who did not exceed at anything else in life. Most of the great western philosophers such as Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle were these super rich motherfuckers who basically either inherited money or were so boss at life that they had enough money where they could lounge around all day talking about what it is they should do, and why, and how they should do it and such. These guys weren't losers.

You may have figured it all out but that doesn't mean that thinking about things is not worthwhile. Thinking IS part of being.

--------------------
All drugs should be legal

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Is philosophy just for those who failed to adapt to life? [Re: halo]
    #13383863 - 10/25/10 05:10 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Word.

In general, those who disdain philosophy do not understand it.  We have a few in here like that.  :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinelolwut
bad motherfucker

Loc: back in black
    #13383948 - 10/25/10 06:28 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Your mindset largely determines the outlook you have on the world so maybe some people need philosophy/certain philosophies. However you could read and understand one million philosophy books and never become enlightened, but that doesnt mean it does no good at all. Not everyone is of the mindset that everything is perfect so certain philosophies can help a lot. And not everyone is able to or wants to have ecstatic experiences on drugs or meditating, so it comes in handy for them.

Even this thread and OP is philosophy. I think most people would reject the philosophies that do them no good. You can't just say "everythings perfect go outside and look" and expect people to immediately be happy. :smile:

Edited by lolwut (10/25/10 06:29 AM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #13384007 - 10/25/10 07:06 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

circastes said:
I'm trying to turn their frowns upside down.

Quit trying would be great advice if you can take it.:satansmoking:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Is philosophy just for those who failed to adapt to life? [Re: Icelander]
    #13384155 - 10/25/10 08:33 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Naw, I never said that. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Is philosophy just for those who failed to adapt to life? [Re: learningtofly]
    #13384316 - 10/25/10 09:46 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Refresh my memory (if you can't be bothered to quote). Was I talking to you about something?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#13384493 - 10/25/10 10:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The OP has some good points, but that last line about what we should do strikes me as authoritative. The idea that we should spread happiness is a form of suffering. The less the mind wants to spread happiness, the more happiness is spread. Funny how that works.

And fearless? I will settle for courageous. No fear, no need for courage. Are we really beyond that?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #13385376 - 10/25/10 02:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

circastes said:
Philosophy just seems to be problems invented by neurotic individuals who cannot express themselves normally through personality or art, and so find themselves attempting to bring meaning to their lives through intellect.

I can express myself fine through my personality, and through certain forms of art. :shrug:

Quote:

circastes said:
No amount of 'philosophising' brings peace or contentment, except in the case where one has deluded oneself enough to no longer find thinking useful to knowing more, because apparently, they know it all.

This is untrue, all moments of peace and contentment are brought on by philosophy.

Quote:

circastes said:
There is no truth in words. Truth is bound to our emotions. Overcoming fear reveals love, which is the truth, and the only truth.

Everything you said here is nonsensical bullshit.

Quote:

circastes said:
No philosopher will one day yell "Eureka!" and we can all read his work and be satisfied. Intellect solves nothing! It's emotional exploration, psychic exploration and experience that allow one to "get" life.

Many people find great pleasure in reading the works of philosophers; how can anybody accomplish much by exploring their emotions without the utilization of intellect?

Quote:

circastes said:
I spent years and years thinking about the problems of philosophy, thought I had solved them as far as I could care, but remained just as neurotic as ever without realising it.

So what?

Quote:

circastes said:
Most 'happy' people are happy because they've solved themselves emotionally, not through thinking, not through debating, but through having emotionally charged experiences in life which told them who they are and what they were doing.

I don't see how one can solve their emotional problems without philosophy, because they can't.

Quote:

circastes said:
The answer to "who am I and what are we doing here?" is found emotionally...

The answer to any question is found through philosophy.

Quote:

circastes said:
All 'problems' are just invented by our concepts and the ignorant assumption that they actually pertain to something in reality.

Including our emotional problems, and sometimes it takes a lot of thinking to solve such problems.

Quote:

circastes said:
We should all just go outside and enjoy the day without a care for anything. Fearlessly.

That is difficult for people who have issues about doing that.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

Loc: Texas
    #13385420 - 10/25/10 02:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Icelander said:
Quote:

You have no idea what our natural state is imo.

I know what the natural state is.  It's Arkansas! :smile:

To the OP:  Wouldn't failure to adapt to life mean...death?

Offlinepsychoanomaly
Ἓν rὸ πᾶν

Re: Is philosophy just for those who failed to adapt to life? [Re: HippieChick8]
    #13385899 - 10/25/10 04:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Philosophy just seems to be problems invented by neurotic individuals who cannot express themselves normally through personality or art, and so find themselves attempting to bring meaning to their lives through intellect.

No amount of 'philosophising' brings peace or contentment, except in the case where one has deluded oneself enough to no longer find thinking useful to knowing more, because apparently, they know it all.

There is no truth in words. Truth is bound to our emotions. Overcoming fear reveals love, which is the truth, and the only truth.

No philosopher will one day yell "Eureka!" and we can all read his work and be satisfied. Intellect solves nothing! It's emotional exploration, psychic exploration and experience that allow one to "get" life.

I spent years and years thinking about the problems of philosophy, thought I had solved them as far as I could care, but remained just as neurotic as ever without realising it.

After many mushroom experiences and ecstastic experiences while meditating, I have reached the conclusion there are no problems in this world, there never were, and never will be. There is nothing to think about!

Most 'happy' people are happy because they've solved themselves emotionally, not through thinking, not through debating, but through having emotionally charged experiences in life which told them who they are and what they were doing.

The answer to "who am I and what are we doing here?" is found emotionally, to be playful love. There's nothing to be serious about. Nothing to care about. Nothing is wrong......

All 'problems' are just invented by our concepts and the ignorant assumption that they actually pertain to something in reality.

We should all just go outside and enjoy the day without a care for anything. Fearlessly.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Human beings are inherently curious, and, IMO, they are also inherently skeptical. Living fearlessly is easier said then done. It seems to me that most humans never truly believe anything until the have been given a damn good reason to. They may say that they do, hell, they'll even fight and argue to their death bed that they understand their place in the world, but ultimately I feel this is an act stemming from the repressed actualities that they are too terrified to reveal to themselves and the world. Perhaps you've had enough experience to truly leave your skepticism behind, but I doubt it.

Understanding reality is essential to our emotional, intellectual, and spiritual development (not to mention our survival and evolution). To dismiss the process of skeptical analysis is to dismiss science and pretty much every other philosophical/religious construct in human history.

How do you think you came to the conclusions that you did? It involved an analysis of the experiences that you've had, and the concepts which you've been exposed to. This thread is pointless in that it is entirely hypocritical.

I do not disagree with every point in your argument. While I believe philosophy is essential to our development because we need logic to fully embrace a concept as reality, it is also apparent to me that philosophy is easily abused. Countless times I've watched myself and others become so immersed in philosophical analysis that not only was our objectivity lost in a spiral of false pretenses and seductive speculation, but we also ceased to embrace the beauty of the untold, all-encompassing truth of the present moment. I agree that it is essential for us to seize the day and embrace the moment without the need to understand. Truth is within every morsel of our being, pervading and defining the universe, and knowing the truth does not change our fundamental situation, let alone truth itself. Still, we're animals living in difficult times, and we're driven by fear, a mindless instinct to persist, adapt, and understand. To validate. The majority of the human race will not be able to let this instinct go. I believe in maintaining a balance between unquestioning embrace and skeptical analysis.

I think we are quickly excelling towards a future where science and spirituality will begin to mesh. So many people insist on fighting the scientific method, but I think in reality it is the only method people actually trust. When science begins to reveal the secret order of the cosmos (which it already has), I think that eventually it will cause a global shift in awareness unparalleled by any religion or philosophy. It will cause true actualization. This shift may be gradual, but ultimately I feel that science is necessary to create mass perceptual change. Given what I've experienced, I do not think that it will disappoint.

EDIT

This thread reminded me of a song which is far too appropriate not to post!

--------------------
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakes.

Are we but a moment found?
Or a moment lost, a moment unbound?

Edited by psychoanomaly (10/25/10 05:24 PM)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#13393435 - 10/27/10 12:37 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Something else occurred to me that's relevant to this thread. On a basic level, thinking can be used to either question perceived reality, or to reinforce it. I think we all have this propensity. It's the basic function of the ego. The ego wants to be right, so it can be proud of itself, and if it's wrong it's ashamed of itself. Someone who is egotistical feels they must always be right, lest they feel shameful. But the unwillingness to be wrong, to question the known reality, to already 'know it all', is what dooms a person to remain in a state of undeveloped practical aptitude. Though the ego desires pride, and validation, it is this desire which causes a person to place their thinking on shakey ground.

Quote:

Overcoming fear reveals love

The ego fears being wrong. Philosophy is the willingness to be proven wrong?

Crap, that means I suck! :uhoh:

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Offlinepsychoanomaly
Ἓν rὸ πᾶν

Re: Is philosophy just for those who failed to adapt to life? [Re: Rahz]
    #13412673 - 10/30/10 11:30 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
Something else occurred to me that's relevant to this thread. On a basic level, thinking can be used to either question perceived reality, or to reinforce it. I think we all have this propensity. It's the basic function of the ego. The ego wants to be right, so it can be proud of itself, and if it's wrong it's ashamed of itself. Someone who is egotistical feels they must always be right, lest they feel shameful. But the unwillingness to be wrong, to question the known reality, to already 'know it all', is what dooms a person to remain in a state of undeveloped practical aptitude. Though the ego desires pride, and validation, it is this desire which causes a person to place their thinking on shakey ground.

Quote:

Overcoming fear reveals love

The ego fears being wrong. Philosophy is the willingness to be proven wrong?

Crap, that means I suck! :uhoh:

Well said :rockon:

--------------------
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakes.

Are we but a moment found?
Or a moment lost, a moment unbound?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order