Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Brainwashing.. unhealthy or no?
    #1337306 - 02/26/03 10:33 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Of course having your eyes peeled open and forced to watch violence for 24 hours a day while on acid is unhealthy, but what about this sorta thing:

In high school there was this guy named Nick. I saw him a couple years after high school in a bar, and my friend Jesse and I talked to him. He had just finished his two years of technical institute training stuff, and was about to go on salary. Yahooo. He lived his life exactly as we were taught in our career and personal planning course in high school, and now he was going to work for the rest of his young life until it came time to retire. Jesse and I discussed whether it was unhealthy or not. He thought that it was, because it showed that he wasn't "thinking for himself." I argued that if he thought that working full-time doing worker-bee digital sweatshop jobs was the epitome of his existence that it was fine, cause according to his own values he's living a perfect life. To be honest, though, I see a mid-life crisis in the works.

Another situation:

I had an ex-girlfriend whose parents were into "taoist" brand tai chi. In case you don't know, the Taoist Tai Chi society is a chain similiar to Mcdonalds, in that it serves millions of portions of crap to tons of people the world over. It's a society that was started by a hong kong triad for the purposes of money laundering, and until recently (I heard this changed but am not actually positive) was legally a non-profit organisation, but someone caught wind of all the corvettes, land, and mansions owned by the "church" and took away this status of theirs. When they're not laundering money, they're getting income from all the people paying to take their classes. The teachers don't paid, though, the money all goes to the head of the "church." Anyway, so this style of tai chi is completely bunk. According to the society, their tai chi is not a martial art, which immediately demonstrates how ridiculous their whole scam is (Tai Chi Chuan can translate as "supreme ultimate fist"). I argued with my ex-girlfriend that her parents were wasting their time, but she argued that as long as they enjoy it, it doesn't matter whether it's "real" tai chi or not. So, is there anything wrong with it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Brainwashing.. unhealthy or no? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1337358 - 02/26/03 11:01 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

There are two types of martial arts, the hard martial arts and the soft martial arts.. they can also be called the external and internal arts, respectively. Examples of a 'hard art' - Jeet Kune Do, Jui Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do.. "inner art" - Aikido, Tai Chi, Chin na..

Tai Chi is essentially a form of meditation.. utilizing soft, flowing movements..there is nothing 'bunk' about it.

The basis of philosophies of Tai Chi are derived from the Tao Te Ching and the I Ching.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Brainwashing.. unhealthy or no? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1337365 - 02/26/03 11:03 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I was saying tha taoist tai chi is bunk, not tai chi in general.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Brainwashing.. unhealthy or no? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1337386 - 02/26/03 11:10 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Oh sorry I completely missed that.. I don't know much about the Taoist Tai Chi.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Brainwashing.. unhealthy or no? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1337513 - 02/26/03 11:50 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Aikido was actually derived from Aiki Jui Jitsu, Jui Jitsu tends towards the 'soft styles' - very few kicks or punches, much of it is based on leverage, locks, takedowns and throws utilizing the redirection of your opponents energy as opposed to blocking it.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology