Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
Sleep paralysis
    #1337041 - 02/26/03 08:24 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

In the news recently, there was an article on scientists explaining that alien abductees suffer from sleep paralysis and this is what causes them to think they have been abducted.

Sleep paralyis is when you are dreaming, but you feel like you are awake and you can't move, it usually involves you dreaming that there is some sort of entity in the room with you holding you down. This entity seems to change in different cultures/countries. For example in the UK it is usually an old witch, but in the US it is Aliens.

I suffer from this and it's really scary, although I've learnt to just "go with it" and just say to muself it isn't real. Does anyone else suffer from this and if you do, what is the entity holding you down? I've been held down by a figure dressed in a black cloak, kinda like death and also ghosts.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: Purple_Voyage]
    #1337246 - 02/26/03 10:12 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I've always had this, but I have never seen any aliens or boogie men or anything like that. I just feel like I can't breathe. Not alot of fun. Of course I really am breathing, but at a much slower rate than I would if I was really awake, and since I am asleep, I have no control of my diaphram muscles so I can't control my breathing rate.

Before I knew what was happening I always used to think I was dying, but now I remind myself what is going on and to go the rest of the way back to sleep. It works pretty well, much better than fighting it and trying to wake up.
Also, I find it happens less often if I sleep on my side. I only ever get the sleep paralysis thing when I sleep on my back.

OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: superpimp]
    #1337258 - 02/26/03 10:16 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I find it happens less often if I sleep on my side. I only ever get the sleep paralysis thing when I sleep on my back.

So do I!, weird :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1337379 - 02/26/03 11:08 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I get this a lot. Your body falls asleep but your brain is still "on".. I get a deep sense of panic when it happens... I've had it since i was a child. One thing I've noticed with myself is that I can tell when it is going to happen most of the time. My head will start throbbing(at least I think it is) and my ears start ringing from the increased blood going to my head. I get in euphoric spinning state..then BAM!!!! I'm stuck, can't move, and sometimes feel there are "entities" coming for me or watching me(I know there are not) after awhile I either fall back into normal sleep or will my self to an awake state. While its interesting it is not at all a pleasant event

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1337474 - 02/26/03 11:37 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I get it fairly often. Audio and visual and physical hallucinations and everything.

It used to be scary but now it isn't. I'm pretty sure the frightening hallucinations are just a manifestation of your terrified mind. If you just relax, it goes away very quickly. Can you close your eyes when it happens? If so, just keep them closed. Pretend you are lying on a beach or something with the sun shining on you. It can actually become quite pleasant and interesting.

--------------------

Offlineminusrestraint
i came to BRINGTHE PAIN. andthe punch :D.

Loc: a star but i see you fine
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: Revelation]
    #1338406 - 02/26/03 06:00 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

this happens to me on occasion. not really very often though.

dredg "leifmotif" and "el cielo", cds about sleep paralysis

--------------------
"is there a doctor in the house?
we like fuck that, nut sacks in yo mouth
lemme show you what a thug about
we can talk or we can slug it out"
-cisco kid

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #1340570 - 02/27/03 01:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This topic has been covered here a couple times, but not for at least a year or more. I have had it all my life. Use to scare me as a child becuase I didn't understand what it was. Due to my heavy religious upbringing I tought it was demons or evil spirits. I have since learned to enjoy it and now I just lay there and experiment with it when it happens. I can usually break out of it if I try but sometimes I try to relax and see how long it will last or I try to do something wierd like wiggle just one finger that I am concentrating on. It is definately a bizzare quirk of the human mind!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineCrass
Explorer of theMind

#1340740 - 02/27/03 02:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"I get in euphoric spinning state..then BAM!!!"

A couple months ago when I was smoking tons of pot/on alot of acutane when I used to goto sleep I would always get this feeling like something was watching me so when I tried to ignore it I would hear like footsteps... and like one week I was trying to sleep and I felt like I was moving..then I felt like I was spinning really fast, kinda felt good. but then I fell asleep.

Probably not that sleep paralysis thing but that just reminded me of my experience so I thought i'd post it.

Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Center of the Room
    #1341073 - 02/27/03 05:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i saw a show on the discovery show about that, i don't myself suffer from this but i had a friend that that his body was gettin taken over tell me about it... that must be so weird to actually go through it

--------------------
:::::Sincerely Yours, I disown you:::::

Offlinejono
misc.
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: shroomizzy]
    #1341091 - 02/27/03 05:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Its definitely weird. I suffer from it as well. I had it a few times when I was younger, and then not again until recently. Sometimes Ive had it 10 or so times in one night! It used to freak the hell out of me, but like everyone else here, I just learnt to deal with it after a while and try to experiment with it. I still find the difficulty breathing thing worrying though.

We had a small discussion on it in a psych lecture at uni. Apparently the body deliberaletly paralyzes / deactivates the motor neurons during REM sleep to stop you thrashing about and trying to act out your dreams. For some reason you wake out of REM sleep, but your motor neurons arent yet unparalyzed.

Definitely a weird experience tho.

--------------------
Our problem results from acting like cowboys on a limitless frontier when in truth we inhabit a living spaceship with a finely balanced life-support system." David C. Korton

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1341300 - 02/27/03 07:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I used to get them, but haven't in a long time.

Never got hallucinations, but I did have "ghost arms".

I could feel my hands, and arms, and could move them, but I couldn't see them. I would put my hand right in front of my face, and could feel it on my face, but it wasn't really there.

I've tried to get up, and walk away from my body, but it never worked.

I still had control over my breathing. That's how I usually got out of it, by holding my breath until my body was forced to wake up.

--------------------

Offlinetrev
comming out of retirement
 User Gallery

Loc: Aussie
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1547133 - 05/14/03 02:41 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have had this too and the funny thing is often when I have them my G/F has them too in the same night also when I think about it there is a higher chance I will have it that night. It feels very sinister. One night I fell asleep listening to the cricket while I was having one of these paralasis episodes a wicket fell and then I woke up and sure enough glen Mcgrath snatched one. This proves that you are awake.

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: trev]
    #1547742 - 05/14/03 11:31 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I get them as well.

I know Im starting to get one because I feel a HUGE pressure of energy on my head, rather uncomfortable...and I start hearing the "WAH..wah...WAH" sounds of energy spinning around my ears.

I cant move my body at all, and struggling just makes it worse.

Usually it happens when I'm REAL tired, or sick. I get them a few times a month.

Usually Ill get more than one a night, on the nights I get it

EDIT: It DEFINATELY feels like an entity is pulling me out, or I can sense the presence of an entity around me

Edited by tekramrepus (05/14/03 11:31 AM)

Offlinetrev
comming out of retirement
 User Gallery

Loc: Aussie
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1547805 - 05/14/03 12:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

sOME TIMES YOU CAN HEAR THE WAH WAH BEFOR YOU GO TO BED

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1547921 - 05/14/03 12:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I know Im starting to get one because I feel a HUGE pressure of energy on my head, rather uncomfortable...and I start hearing the "WAH..wah...WAH" sounds of energy spinning around my ears.

I cant move my body at all, and struggling just makes it worse.

Usually it happens when I'm REAL tired, or sick. I get them a few times a month.

Supermarket explained it perfectly. That is exactly what happens to me. I get them rarely and for some reason it only happens to me when im sleeping on the couch. Idont think ive ever had it in my own bed.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: baraka]
    #1547994 - 05/14/03 01:45 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I get them a few times a month, the couch is the most common place for me to have them happen, tho I have had them occur in my own bed. Sometimes they come with audio and visual hallucinations, rarely do they make me uneasy or scare me, sometimes I really wonder how long they are happening because never I have been able to read a clock when I was locked into that state.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1548198 - 05/14/03 02:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I has happened to me. You hallucinate while parylized. It's because your brain didn't 'flip all the right switches' when going into sleep mode. I think that this might allow you to enter other dimensions of contiousness. Maybe there, you could encounter non-physical beings.

:tongue:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: Murex]
    #1548201 - 05/14/03 02:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sleep Paralysis is probably the most scarriest experience I have had, or one of them. I have had had it two times that I remember.

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: Sleep paralysis [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1548866 - 05/14/03 07:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I remember this happening to me when I was little but it hasn't happened since... What I remember is Jason (from Friday the 13th) flying around me in a hurricane and me not being able to move or breathe, I think he might have thrown couch-pillows at me too lol! It would be cool if we could somehow consciously flip these switches in our brains!

--------------------
GET MAD SWAG MONEY BIG PIMPIN

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #1549017 - 05/14/03 08:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I worked with a fellow who claimed he was abducted. He really believed it too. This could explain it, I don't think he was nuts.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub