Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

The truth about Eckhart Tolle * 1
    #13368296 - 10/21/10 07:55 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Found this post on a cult-awareness site:
http://forum.rickross.com/read.php?12,73107

It is a personal account, from a person who was friends with Eckhart Tolle before and after his fame. Interesting read.

Quote:

Quote:
Wanderer77
I don't know where to begin to comment here. I am not exactly versed on this site and rarely do I participate in chat rooms. I just want to add some information about Eckhart Tolle here. I have read over some of the discussions with much interest. I am delighted to see so much good common sense at work! For much of these suspicions are right on target.
I have known Eckhart since the fall of 1993. I met him through mutual friends back in England. At the time, Eckhart was a nobody. But a nice man and extremely intelligent. He lived very modestly after moving from London to Glastonbury (where I met him) and he was just the nicest person. He went by this name way back then. As far as his real name goes, it is Ulrich and he changed it after that life-altering experience he had--during the many years that went by where he started to study spiritual thinkers like Meister Eckhart. I think he changed his name because he was drawn to that teacher. And he also wanted to break from the former, unhappy person he was.

As far as speculation about his past, he did attend Cambridge as a PhD candidate in Comparative Lit. His emphasis was in Latin American Literature. (we later reconnected when he came to Northern California where I got to know him much better). His father lived (now deceased) in Mallorca. His mother lived (also now deceased) in the Black Forest--in Baden Baden. He went to see them every year at Christmas. His dad was a real character--a free-thinker, a former journalist,leaving Germany after he divorced Eckhart's mother when Eckhart was about 12 or so.

Eckhart is a very emotional and complicated person. Believe me, I knew a whole different side to him. Kind, thoughtful, and very sincere in his rich interest and devotion to spirituality. I recall, at a mutual friend's, he and I ended up having about a five hour conversation on everything from Latin American fiction writers to various mystics and eclectic thinkers. That conversation flew by. He is a very engaging, humorous and social person and it came as a surprise because normally, he seems so reticent and shy. Anyway--I remember when he was writing his first book. We were talking on the phone and he told me that he started writing this book--all in long-hand, mind you. We continued to have a very pleasant friendship and a year or so later, he ended up moving to Vancouver, BC because it was difficult for him to emigrate to the U.S. He had no relatives here, and no real external purpose for coming here. He just wanted to try out the "new world". Again, he was such a pleasure to be around in those days. We also kept in touch when he moved north to Canada. He was funny, he was a joy to talk to-- even on the phone.

To make a long story short--Tolle started out very modestly. Truly. This woman he met in a small class he was giving to business people in downtown Vancouver ended up speaking with him here and there after class and one day, Tolle asked if she would read his book--which was still in manuscript form. She did and later he asked her if she ever thought about the publishing business before. She considered what he said, and they pooled money together ( he owned a piece of property in London and I remember him going back to London at some point, so he could have some $ to live!!) (He never really lived on park benches, by the way. But he did drop out of that graduate program and meandered--with not a lot in the till so to speak.)

Once this woman brought out his first book, things slowly picked up. Tolle made as many appearances at every Canadian bookstore he could. He very gradually achieved his success. We kept in touch and always, he was happy to get together with me when he was in this area in the early days of his success.

Things changed. Without saying too much about myself, I too, am a writer, but I am not in his field. I am a fiction writer. Though Eckhart and I shared interest in things spiritual and he being a former student of literature, we had these things in common. But I would disagree (and still do) with my old friend on many things. Not that I outright told him this, but I never thought highly of the New Age/ Feel Good genre. I am not a fan of these books, although, I do think there are some exceptions and I absolutely loved his first book, the Power of Now. And I still think it's his best. I also think Eckhart is gifted in his talks. Some of them are amazingly brilliant. But I have to say the last time I heard my friend was several years ago before things got to where they are today!

Here it is: My old friend has become obsessed with his own success and I need to say, monstrously so. He has shown a side to me that scares me. He is determined to get as far up the mountain (exceeding his competitors like Deepak Chopra, Gary Zukov, all those other souls out there that crank out these books!) as he can go. I am afraid for him and a little afraid of him. He is no longer recognizable to me. Some say this is not unusual for these "guru" types. That sooner or later, things come tumbling down, thanks to a lot of hubris and just ego-overkill. That's right. Ego-overkill. Tolle--and I noticed this many years ago--we were out one day and ended up walking into a bookstore where Tolle knew the guy behind the counter--I busied myself browsing the books, but Tolle came off with an arrogance and know-it-all-ness that surprised me. I had never seen this side of him before--but I blew it off and didn't give it a lot of thought as he rarely acted this way with me. ( I am a woman, by the way.). Now it seems Tolle is all ego. And yes, it is horrendously ironic how he has made the ego anathema, when he has become an ego-maniac himself. I am sad to see it all unfold the way it has.

Sadly, being a true friend, a real friend, was not as important to Tolle as his voracious ambition. Let me tell you something , if I could, in my own modest experience at being human myself, Tolle is very unhealed. Some have speculated about his past relationships. I know of a woman in London; I believe he lived with her, but this was when he was in his 20's. I do believe he had that spiritual experience. That is true, but the weird thing is, it didn't really change the core person. It seems that Eckhart was one of those "know it all" students. He is extremely smart, and that is the problem. Smart and arrogant, if given the ground on which to become so. Know what I mean? When he was outside that academic milieu of a school like Cambridge, he was a nobody--and it was probably better for him. Let me put it to you this way: Hitler could have a spiritual experience, but would his nature really change?

I realize that sounds like a strange question. And normally, people will assume that the person having these beautiful spiritual experiences is a good person, but you know what? It's not necessarily so. And I know this from so many years of knowing Eckhart. But I also know this about other spiritual teachers and their dark sides and I am sure many of you out there know a bit about this, too. For example, Krishnamurti could be very curt with people, especially young people. But also, there's a book that was written by the daughter of a woman who was Krishnamurti's secret mistress for many years and whom he treated abusively, punitively. And there are people who will refuse to believe this and I am sure there are those who will not want to see the truth about my old friend, Eckhart.

But if I could continue--about this aspect of him being unhealed. In all my years being alive I have come to see that there is a huge discrepancy between this "spirituality" so many seem to be seeking and unhealed inner emotional issues. It's strange. But the two shall never meet or mix. This seems to be very true about people no matter their spiritual path. And it's true about Tolle. He had a very complex relationship with his mother. His father was a much better parent to him. But his mother was another story. There were times when he spilled his emotions out to me, and it saddens me because he's really a very lonely person. An extremely, and I want to say, dangerously isolated individual, who has become worse, far worse since his fame.

Eckhart tells the public that this woman Kim Eng is his "partner". She's not. She is a more like a pupil/disciple. There is no relationship there except this "arrangement". She has been with him for many years, as an assistant and contact person for his trips and talks and in exchange, he has shown her the ropes and now she goes out and does these talks and seminars. It's odd, but Eckhart doesn't like women, men, anyone, really. Not enough to shack up with! He is afraid, though, of woman coming after him. And I really know about this. I am not just making it up. He has made some kind of arrangement with Eng, an agreement of sorts so he could feel comfortable on a pubic level.

He did seem to have an interest in me back in the early days...but nothing ever came of it. But it was very sweet and nice. Until fame got the better of him and he showed me that he was not going to do anything for anyone unless it benefits himself. This is all I can say.

I think, though, the unhealed issues in him are at the root of what motivates him in what has become a monstrously unfathomable ambition. ("Napoleon Complex", anyone?) Frankly, he's a homely fellow. He looks like "Despereaux the Mouse". He's a little guy, in a little body, with stooped shoulders that no woman would bat an eyelash at back in the old days. Yes, he was nice friend, but I had no interest in him otherwise and I think he had a lifetime of that. He was forty-five when I met him.

The heart is a lonely hunter, "spiritual teachers" notwithstanding. Ya know?

Anyone remember the "man behind the green curtain"?

As in: "I am Oz. And I am the all -powerful, Oz! No one dare go against the all-powerful Oz! Now don't pay attention to that little man behind the green curtain!""

Of course, we all know what happened next.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: The truth about Eckhart Tolle [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble] * 1
    #13368409 - 10/21/10 08:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

it should be about the teachings and not the teacher i think

i've never looked into his work myself but it seems to help people

if he has personal issues that's unfortunate but doesn't negate the quality of his teachings imo

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #13368426 - 10/21/10 08:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

No way to know.:shrug:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: The truth about Eckhart Tolle [Re: Icelander] * 1
    #13368527 - 10/21/10 08:39 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If you look on the same forum, there is a person who describes how Tolle's teachings "zombified" him. Not to mention the massive profits that he is making off of peddling bland new-age crap. IMO true spiritual teaching are given for free (hence why I love mushrooms as a spiritual path).

I think you should judge the teacher as well as the teachings. The teacher is supposed to be the embodiment of what they teach, not just some person who has lots of good advice that they can't even follow themselves.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#13368579 - 10/21/10 08:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I think you should judge the teacher as well as the teachings. The teacher is supposed to be the embodiment of what they teach, not just some person who has lots of good advice that they can't even follow themselves.

I agree with this.  If the teacher can't act on his own teaching then he's a fraud or the teachings are unusable.

Let's face it, all these new teachers are just rehashing the old teachings. Only science seems to be coming up with something new. I'm not saying the teachings are wrong or that science is better. I'm just pointing that out.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #13368632 - 10/21/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

if the teachings are 100% original to the teacher then i'd agree

but if the teachings are old - someone can be great at memorizing them and explaining them without following them themselves (and still benefit others)

--------------------

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
    #13368727 - 10/21/10 09:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Tolle doesn't deliver anything new. He rehashes what has been said for centuries. A great compilation of such teachings can be found in Huxley's The Perennial Philosophy. It's perennial, timeless wisdom.

I'm not saying the person who posted the text in the OP is lying, but I usually use discernment when taking the the word of a random person whose forum post is being passed around like an email chain letter. Maybe they had a falling out with Tolle and their ego was bruised and they thought they would like to discredit him? One of many possibilities.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: The truth about Eckhart Tolle [Re: c0sm0nautt] * 1
    #13368753 - 10/21/10 09:11 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Right,

As I said there is really no way know.

--------------------

OfflineMoxyOx
Grazin'

Loc: Flag
Re: The truth about Eckhart Tolle [Re: deff] * 1
    #13368778 - 10/21/10 09:15 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

deff said:
if the teachings are 100% original to the teacher then i'd agree

but if the teachings are old - someone can be great at memorizing them and explaining them without following them themselves (and still benefit others)

That would mean he's strictly an interpretor then. Lots of things get lost in interpretations though, and meanings can become twisted and off...

--------------------
No one behind, no one ahead.
The path the ancients cleared has closed.
And the other path, everyone's path,
easy and wide, goes nowhere.
I am alone and find my way.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

Re: The truth about Eckhart Tolle [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble] * 2
    #13368944 - 10/21/10 09:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

you can tell right away that this 'friend' is a piece of shit.
who goes and writes something like this about their friend ?
for what purpose ?
the whole article seems like a pathetic attempt to get some attention without really saying anything substantial.

" He is still HUMAN ! "

no shit ?

:smirk:

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: The truth about Eckhart Tolle [Re: jivJaN] * 1
    #13368997 - 10/21/10 09:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I can't tell anything "right away" because I don't have an agenda on this issue.

--------------------

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#13369106 - 10/21/10 10:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

it looks like you're just resenting my assumption that it is self-evident.
there is no 'agenda' here.
if i am your friend.. and years after , i go writing  articles how you're an ego maniac / slash fraud , its pretty obvious that i am not and never really was your friend in the first place , unless you have a very distorted view of friendship or decency is.

there is no mention of ekchart ever doing any harm , or treating this female badly in any way.
arrogant and egotistic is what she comes up with  and this is reason enough to publicly bash on the guy in an attempt to discredit his lifes work ?
i mean .. cmon.. that's about as classic as a  female can get.

im callin this one a  DUMBCUNTBITCHSHUTURMOUTH situation
she has no business discussing somebodies private life like that  and even disclosing what she herself describes as eckhart 'spilling his emotions'

--------------------

---------------------

They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

#13369207 - 10/21/10 10:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

When this person is amassing a giant cult following and sucking up millions of dollars because he sells himself as some sort of egoless guru I think shit like this becomes necessary.

I don't think y'all really understand what kind of following Tolle really has. Some people follow this dude like jesus, spend tons of $$ on his books, lectures, etc because they believe in him. People need to hear about the good and the bad of their gurus, because this cult shit gets to a point where you can't criticize the leader without risking ostracization. Fame and power are dangerous unto themselves, but mix this with religious fervor you things can get fucking REAL.

http://forum.rickross.com/read.php?12,86095

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#13369213 - 10/21/10 10:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:lol:  Everybody discusses everybody.  If you're a public figure then it comes with the territory.  The only question is, is she telling the truth. 

It's very plain that you have issues with women.:rofl2:

--------------------

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
    #13369256 - 10/21/10 11:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That person is blaming Tolle because they "started looking down on people." LOL?

Offlineevildee125
Here now
Male User Gallery

Loc: fl
Re: The truth about Eckhart Tolle [Re: c0sm0nautt] * 1
    #13369318 - 10/21/10 11:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i doubt youll ever run into a person that isnt f..ked up in some way.. i think of it as part of the human condition.. ive only read one of his books, the power of now, but i thought it to be a wonderful book and provide a useful message.. my focus is on the message.. i cant make any use of someone ive never even met.. i dont understand why such an emphasis on the teacher.. i dont see how it makes it any less valid

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banlist.php http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banomatic.php

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/vetstatus.php

Kaleidoscope said:
If you build an idiot-proof device, someone will build a better idiot.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#13369373 - 10/21/10 11:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Have you even read his books ?
Have you listened to his talks ?

Quote:

I don't think y'all really understand what kind of following Tolle really has. Some people follow this dude like jesus, spend tons of $$ on his books, lectures, etc because they believe in him.

And thats his fault ?
So jesus , himself is to blame for people being fanatic about it christianity ?

" But don't blame me when lil' Eric jumps off of the terrace
You shoulda been watchin him - apparently you ain't parents "
~ Eminem

And that link you posted
eckhart made him a zombie ?

NO !
he made himself a zombie , because he's  ill equipped emotionally and intellectually to fully grasp the meaning of what eckhart actually talks about and in turn, unable to integrate this distorted understanding into his life without experiencing bad side effects.
His ideas are powerful because as you take them in , you expose yourself - to yourself.
The fact that he started selling lots of books and making millions will inevitably lead to the wrong kind of people indulging in the material.

and you know what..
if you actually had something factual and negative about him  instead of some stupid kids whining and an aggravated bitches hate mongering , i'd prolly back off and let the discussion go about its way.
But this is ignorant bullshit right here and i gotta call it as i see it.

you see my sig down there ?
feel no fear and die trying to fly.

There are people on this forum that come to me for guidance , to vent or simply to have a talk with someone they feel could relate to them.
So i'd be the bad guy if one of them jumped off the roof tomorrow because they didn't understand the metaphor ?

People are likely to create cults surrounding just about any kind of interesting idea.
The matrix movie..one of my favorite movies..
Do you know how many people literally LOST THEIR MINDS before even seeing part 2 and 3 ?
:lol:
hilarious..
It is exactly the kind of attitude you are displaying here , that festers the minds of these TONE DEF people looking for that shiny, white, bright music to save them from their miserable lives...and  they won't think twice to blame the fuckin piper when their retarded dancing gets unbearable.

--------------------

---------------------

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#13369488 - 10/22/10 12:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

It's very plain that you have issues with women

I deal with you just fine :bigjoint:

--------------------

---------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#13369988 - 10/22/10 04:48 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I always thought this, I've only read the power of now. I mean, when people give out words to the tone of "only an enlightened person can make real music" what do you expect?

Frankly I've always been surprised people on the shroomery bought the bullshit in this book. You have to skim over so much nonesense to read a few parts that have been said before and better by others.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleChronic7
    #13369989 - 10/22/10 04:48 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Some say this is not unusual for these "guru" types. That sooner or later, things come tumbling down, thanks to a lot of hubris and just ego-overkill. That's right. Ego-overkill. Tolle--and I noticed this many years ago--we were out one day and ended up walking into a bookstore where Tolle knew the guy behind the counter--I busied myself browsing the books, but Tolle came off with an arrogance and know-it-all-ness that surprised me. I had never seen this side of him before--but I blew it off and didn't give it a lot of thought as he rarely acted this way with me. ( I am a woman, by the way.). Now it seems Tolle is all ego. And yes, it is horrendously ironic how he has made the ego anathema, when he has become an ego-maniac himself. I am sad to see it all unfold the way it has.

Quote:

Some have speculated about his past relationships. I know of a woman in London; I believe he lived with her, but this was when he was in his 20's. I do believe he had that spiritual experience...

She says these things like shes digging some dirt on him, but she doesn't actually quote anything about what he said or did, she references some woman in london & doesn't even go into the story, she doesn't mention what he said in that store that made her feel like he was so arrogant.

If Eckhart is a true master or whatever you wanna call it, then he is only a mirror, all this arrogance & stuff shes saying about him, is her own crap shes projecting onto him, thats why shes having trouble pinpointing exactly what it is shes doesn't like about him.

I don't even feel Eckhart that much, but this is ridiculous imo, she doesn't name one thing he actually did that was so bad, just speculates about him

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies