Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMushyMay
Brian Eno is mypersonal God FNORD

Loc: ACT, Australia
It's NOT about oil
    #1335783 - 02/25/03 07:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Of course it's not JUST about oil, that doesn't mean that the US can't reap the benefits of war torn Iraq.

US firms given contracts to 'rebuild' Iraq

New York, Feb 23. (PTI): Though a war on Iraq is yet to start, the US has decided to give contracts to repair and rebuild the country exclusively to American companies in the 'post-war' era, a report said today.

The cost of the contracts is estimated to be around 900 million dollars, Time magazine said today.

The subcontracts would go exclusively to nations officially designated as friendly, the magazine added.

Much of oil infrastructure in Iraq is in a state of disrepair and would require extensive effort to make it work at the optimum capacity.

A recent report had said that the oil fields are littered with broken pumps.

The whole exercise could cost billions of dollars and earlier reports had said that the cost would be paid through Iraqi oil revenue, the report said. http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/01232215.htm

Another article from October 27, 2002 http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/abs_news_body.asp?section=Business&OID=6980

--------------------
MushyMay is a fictional character, as a result any information provided by MushyMay is also fictitious.

Edited by MushyMay (02/25/03 07:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: It's NOT about oil [Re: MushyMay]
    #1336233 - 02/25/03 11:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

While I hope that there is no war, what about this surprises you?

To the victors go the spoils. It's as it has always been.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineMushyMay
Brian Eno is mypersonal God FNORD

Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: It's NOT about oil [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1336332 - 02/26/03 12:24 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

None of it surprises me but I thought the war was supposed to be about disarming Iraq, liberating the Iraqi people, terrorism, WMD etc, etc.

--------------------
MushyMay is a fictional character, as a result any information provided by MushyMay is also fictitious.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: It's NOT about oil [Re: MushyMay]
    #1336461 - 02/26/03 02:36 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Supposidly they've already had meetings with all of the major oil companies about who's going to get what as well.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1336610 - 02/26/03 05:05 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"To the victors go the spoils."

But... we're attacking them to help them...?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: It's NOT about oil [Re: Learyfan]
    #1336618 - 02/26/03 05:11 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3517-2003Feb26.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Bush administration is preparing supplemental spending requests totaling as much as $95 billion for a war with Iraq, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

The $95 billion would be to cover a war, its aftermath and new expenses to fight terrorism, officials told the newspaper. The total could be as low as $60 billion because Pentagon budget planners don't know how long a conflict will last, whether U.S. allies will contribute more than token sums and what damage Saddam Hussein might do to his own country to retaliate against conquering forces, the Journal said.

There is talk of splitting the requests into two bills: one for the war and a second for reconstruction, the newspaper said. It added that some White House budget officials are pressing for two or more measures for greater control over spending if the war turns out to be shorter and less expensive than current Pentagon estimates.

Pentagon officials favor a single bill to cover the war and a year of reconstruction, primarily to avoid an interruption in funding at the end of the fiscal year, the newspaper said.

Iraq's oil reserves are second in size only to Saudi Arabia's, and U.S. officials say money from them could be instrumental in rebuilding Iraq and could lower the total cost of the conflict, the Journal reported.

The supplemental requests now being readied assume "zero oil revenue" for the first year , officials told the newspaper. The requests currently don't include most costs associated with a large-scale attack by chemical or biological weapons, the report said.

A senior defense official involved in drawing up the supplemental requests told the newspaper that the Pentagon is pushing for as much spending flexibility as it can get.

===============

so basically they are planning to drop a load of money on the war but basically make iraq pay for its own reconstruction with oil profits once the fields are secured and tapped.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Edited by Eightball (02/26/03 05:12 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #1337466 - 02/26/03 11:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

While I hope that there is no war, what about this surprises you?

To the victors go the spoils. It's as it has always been.

Do we own Iraq after the war, what about afganistan, did we win there, because I know we declared war on them, why are we not a territory of Viet Nam or Korea, we won no wars with them....oh yeah, those were police actions, but where were the cops....right over busting the heads of hippies.....

there are no spoils except for the Govt. and Iraq. We will gain nothing from Iraq that we do not already have. We own Iraq as it stands....we have the armament to prove that.

Prisoner#1

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: It's NOT about oil [Re: Phluck]
    #1337477 - 02/26/03 11:38 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No-one said we are going to keep anything.... the contracts, if true, are for rebuilding.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: It's NOT about oil [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1337483 - 02/26/03 11:40 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If Viet Nam or Korea had invaded us and won there would be spoils and they would keep them.

Lame response happy.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion