Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealexsteele
Alex
Loc: North Carolina
Mushroom Cultivating problem
    #1333771 - 02/25/03 09:09 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have a question for anyone who thinks they may have an answer... I am currently growing shrooms out of a jar. The Mycelium have already began to grow and they occupy about 75% of the jar right now....I can see small darkish spots barely noticable to the naked eye in not very many places but there is just a lil bit of it in one place...How can i tell if that is contaminate growing on my Mycelium
or if it is just some of the substrate showing through the Mycelium??? Also one quick question...Should the pin holes on the top of my jar be covered or is it ok to leave them uncovered?...email me or post your response one here i_am_alex_steele@yahoo.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Mushroom Cultivating problem [Re: alexsteele]
    #1333810 - 02/25/03 09:21 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I have a question for anyone who thinks they may have an answer... I am currently growing shrooms out of a jar.

so, you plan to fruit the mushrooms from the jar? or are you planning to birth the cake (or whatever) upon complet colonization?
Quote:

The Mycelium have already began to grow and they occupy about 75% of the jar right now....

mycelium is singular and mycelia is plural FYI, i still get the point.
Quote:

I can see small darkish spots barely noticable to the naked eye in not very many places but there is just a lil bit of it in one place...How can i tell if that is contaminate growing on my Mycelium or if it is just some of the substrate showing through the Mycelium???

"on" the mycelium or "under" the mycelium? keep an eye on it. time will tell. if it grows = bad. if it disappears = good. if it remains without changing size/shape = iffy
Quote:

Also one quick question...Should the pin holes on the top of my jar be covered or is it ok to leave them uncovered?...email me or post your response one here i_am_alex_steele@yahoo.com

that leads me back to question 1. did you follow the pf tek? is this holes in a jar lid or a piece of tyvek or similar filter material? you need to provide more information. holes for air exchange are necessary if you are using a pf cake tek (which is why you have a dry verm layer between the lid and the cake, to protect from contams) if it is filter material then you shouldn't be poking holes in it since holes you poke are gargantous on a microscopic scale. give us more info and we can probably help you a lot more.

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
Re: Mushroom Cultivating problem [Re: alexsteele]
    #1333907 - 02/25/03 09:50 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If you are at 75%, you don't want the holes covered.  The mycelium needs some air at this point to continue growing well.

As for the spots, just watch them to see if they grow, not much else can be done at this point excpect to cross your fingers.  :wink: 

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

OfflineDr. Slavic
enthusiast
Re: Mushroom Cultivating problem [Re: ClosetCase]
    #1333937 - 02/25/03 10:01 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

How the hell do you keep contaminates out with holes in the top of the jar. I haven't grown shrooms but plan on it real soon. I Don't understand in the slightest bit how leaving holes open won't allow contaminates in. I thought you put the holes in the lid before sterilization and cover them with foil so you can easily inject spore solution into the substate and cover back up quickly(after sterilization and jars cooled of course).

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
Re: Mushroom Cultivating problem [Re: Dr. Slavic]
    #1333948 - 02/25/03 10:04 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Assuming you are doing the PF-Tek, the vermiculite layer acts as a contam barrier. My buddy takes the tape off after ~50% colonization and flips the jars upside down to get some air exchange. He never got any contams.

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #1333952 - 02/25/03 10:05 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

all in the pf tech, DRY VERMICULITE LAYER.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1333955 - 02/25/03 10:06 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

When using the PF Tek (which is what I assume you are referring to), the substrate is protected from outside contamination by 1/2" layer of dry vermiculite.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation