Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleArden
לנשום

Loc: Α & Ω Flag
"Gotcha again, professor." Round 2.
    #13327208 - 10/12/10 06:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If anyone cares to follow my tom-foolery, round 1 with a different professor is here

Today, a professor gave an hour presentation on a study where they conditioned mice with a fearful stimulus, which resulted in a fear response (vocalizations, freezing, etc.). The point of the study was to test how lesions on the amygdala or the introduction of a chemical can affect the conditioned response. Predictably, lesions on the amygdala inhibited any fear response. But, interestingly, when injected with muscimol (a GABA agonist) an inhibition of fear responses was also observed. (This isn't pioneering work. Muscimol and fear/learning tests is kind of a dead horse). Anyway...

The professor then started joking (which, to me, is mainly funny because he's foreign and has a child-like accent), "after muscimol, he [den] turn into [da] super mouse and go to battle against [da] stimulus! Har har har!"

I raised my hand and briefly told them that muscimol is found in Amanitas and has been used for its psychoactive effects for thousands of years, and there are speculative theories of historical documents (popularized by RG Wasson) that Scandinavians used to eat them before battle -- which would correspond nicely with their ability to inhibit fear.

The class smirked and giggled because I said the bat shit crazy word, "mushroom".

Meanwhile, the professor just blinks and, after sensing he nor anyone else had anything to say, just resumed where he left off.

The moral: This is like studying asprin (acetylsalicylic acid), without even a brief realization that salicylic acid is derived from the bark of the willow tree. Not everyone has to be interested in psychoactive effects or know random trivia about everything under the sun. But it is becoming obvious to me how constrained and limited people's sphere of knowledge really is. I'm not indirectly claiming I'm any different. It's just that when we hear someone has a "PhD" (wowzers!!!!), we need to ask them "yea, in what?" And, in addition to assuming their knowledge is probably limited to that one field, if we're curious if they're a hynotoad or a visionary, we can ask why they are passionate about their topic and being cooped up in a sterile lab for half of the day.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSynocybin
Thread Killer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here and There
Re: "Gotcha again, professor." Round 2. [Re: Arden]
    #13327245 - 10/12/10 06:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:billymaythumbup:

I love stopping teachers in their tracks when they teach something that I feel I know a bit more about

--------------------
Synocybin's Penis Envy Grow Log!
OUTDOOR SPENT TRAY GROW PICS!!
X7X Grow Log

Luigi on Shrooms said:
Its been 4weeks since i cased what is going on?
i used human manure(mine) vermiculite and coco coir

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
    #13327258 - 10/12/10 06:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:snub: amanitas are toadstools

also, you really love to irk those profs huh

i read his line in the voice of squizgar squigelf :lol:

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Re: "Gotcha again, professor." Round 2. [Re: Salomon]
    #13327276 - 10/12/10 06:56 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure who squizgar squigelf is, but I vaguely said "foreigner" to induce whatever movie script you want to run in your inner voice. :lol:

InvisibleSalomon
Male
    #13327295 - 10/12/10 07:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dethklok

the blonde one: i mispelled it brutally, Skwisgaar Skwigelf

but there ya go:yesnod:

--------------------

Offlinebiff
Boom
Male

Loc: america
    #13327299 - 10/12/10 07:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:borat:

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
    #13327303 - 10/12/10 07:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

that's pretty good dude, i hadn't heard about the scands. but it would make a lot of sense.

which class was it?

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Re: "Gotcha again, professor." Round 2. [Re: JT]
    #13327321 - 10/12/10 07:05 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

which class was it?

Behavioral neuroscience.

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: "Gotcha again, professor." Round 2. [Re: Arden] * 3
    #13327353 - 10/12/10 07:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ha I always hate having you in my classes.  'Oh yea professor, well did you know [irrelevant diatribe]'  Professor:  'uh yea ok...anyways back to class'

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Re: "Gotcha again, professor." Round 2. [Re: Chespirito]
    #13327375 - 10/12/10 07:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Chespirito said:
Ha I always hate having you in my classes.  'Oh yea professor, well did you know [irrelevant diatribe]'  Professor:  'uh yea ok...anyways back to class'

Only a peckerhead would think knowing the origin of the substance you used in an experiment you designed yourself is somehow a "diatribe".

And it isn't a class. It's a seminar. We're welcome to speak.

InvisibleArden
לנשום

#13327381 - 10/12/10 07:21 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

[irrelevant diatribe]

"Hey, Albert, did you know lysergamides come from ergoline alkoids. It's from a fungus, cool huh!?"

"NO, MY BOY. MERELY DIATRIBES. MUAHAHA."

OfflineTri High
Whigro
 User Gallery

Loc: Monaghan, Ireland
    #13327433 - 10/12/10 07:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

It would appear that muscimols are synthesized in our bodies, by our bodies, am I correct?

--------------------
you just need money to get laid - starfire_xes

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Re: "Gotcha again, professor." Round 2. [Re: Tri High]
    #13327455 - 10/12/10 07:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tri High said:
It would appear that muscimols are synthesized in our bodies, by our bodies, am I correct?

No.

I've never encountered any evidence regarding endogenous muscimol. It readily binds to our receptors though.

InvisibleSalomon
Male
    #13327473 - 10/12/10 07:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Arden said:
Quote:

Tri High said:

No.

I've never encountered any evidence regarding endogenous muscimol. It readily binds to our receptors though.

you're damn right  it does. i can bind my receptors all night:awesome:

i wish you worked on the study, so you could inject yourself and tell us how awesome it is to try pure muscimol

:retawed:

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
    #13327499 - 10/12/10 07:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

aside from the science-y talk..

i really hate the majority of the US education system.

information is presented in a "This is fact" type of way. there is only one way the information is presented when there could be literally hundreds of different ways to approach a problem.

very few schools teach independent thought.. they teach you how to pass a test.

--------------------

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: "Gotcha again, professor." Round 2. [Re: frith]
    #13327584 - 10/12/10 08:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

What schools have you enrolled in?  Ive never been in a university science class that was interested in me passing a test.  Even including the bullshit intro to physics courses the first year

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#13327590 - 10/12/10 08:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Arden said:
Quote:

Chespirito said:

Only a peckerhead would think knowing the origin of the substance you used in an experiment you designed yourself is somehow a "diatribe".

It would be like in an optics class I was taking if I rambled on about ancient theories of what light was.  'Well the Greeks thought...'  Professor: 'who the fuck cares what the Greeks thought?'

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
    #13327717 - 10/12/10 08:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i disagree, kind of. i mean i wasn't there, so i don't know how the whole situation panned out. i hate it when people share personal stories or go on pointless diatribes.

considering it's a behavioral neuroscience course though, this is pretty relevant, and it has a lot of implications. it's pathetic that the professor and the majority of people would just dismiss the idea because it has to do with mushrooms..

InvisibleArden
לנשום

#13327788 - 10/12/10 08:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

frith said:
aside from the science-y talk..

i really hate the majority of the US education system.

information is presented in a "This is fact" type of way. there is only one way the information is presented when there could be literally hundreds of different ways to approach a problem.

very few schools teach independent thought.. they teach you how to pass a test.

This is exactly why I am posting this. I could care less about one-upmanship or whether an academic can match another in terms of field trivia. The point is being dismissed and/or ignored because a student brings up new information. The whole authority structure of the individual on the pedestal and the crowd being disconnected by the stage is an excellent prop for theater, but for education it usually hinders the learning process more than it helps. 

Quote:

Chespirito said:
Quote:

Arden said:
Quote:

Chespirito said:

It would be like in an optics class I was taking if I rambled on about ancient theories of what light was.  'Well the Greeks thought...'  Professor: 'who the fuck cares what the Greeks thought?'

That's a poor analogy.

Muscimol comes from Amanitas. In discussions of psychopharmacology, introducing pharmacognosy isn't crazy -- and certainly isn't some far fetched philosophy from a different culture.

Historically, muscimol was supposedly used for the inhibition of fear.

The professor's entire presentation and research is about fear.

It's relevant. Why is this so difficult to see? You're just trying to be argumentative. And in this case, you've said nothing other than relaying that people who interrupt class with anecdotes annoy you. Good for you. This wasn't an anecdote, while ironically, your entire argument is a preferential anecdote.

InvisibleDieCommie

#13327796 - 10/12/10 08:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Chespirito said:
What schools have you enrolled in?  Ive never been in a university science class that was interested in me passing a test.  Even including the bullshit intro to physics courses the first year

Same here.  Ive had concepts and understanding hammered into me, even when I just want information on how to pass the test!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract