Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebrizvegasguy
Stranger
brisbane, australia.. mushrooms
    #1332405 - 02/24/03 04:44 PM (21 years, 28 days ago)

Ok now I know y'all want indepth habitat and mushroom descriptions but at the moment i'm about to run to work.. so that will be coming this evening (hopefully have some spore prints too).

Anyway.. these are some mushrooms I've found in my backyard today.. the really heavy rain was starting to mangle them so i transplanted them into these plates.. i don't know what they are and I'm not assuming anything.. so take a look at the gallery and feel free to add any comments..

(remember better descriptions will be up soon)

the images are all hosted with brief descriptions here - http://shrooms.mypicgallery.com/

ta..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: brisbane, australia.. mushrooms [Re: brizvegasguy]
    #1332488 - 02/24/03 05:11 PM (21 years, 28 days ago)

Well, I can see that you have some Coprinus, I think one image shows a species of Marasmius, and possibly the others are Galerinas. All which are NOT recommended to eat !!

OfflineMushyMay
Brian Eno is mypersonal God FNORD

Loc: ACT, Australia
    #1332490 - 02/24/03 05:12 PM (21 years, 28 days ago)

I'd definitely stay away from those unknown footpath mushrooms, they look nasty. Possibly Galerina. The skinny white ones, I know what they are but the name eludes me right now. Not Psilocybe.

--------------------
MushyMay is a fictional character, as a result any information provided by MushyMay is also fictitious.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: brisbane, australia.. mushrooms [Re: angryshroom]
    #1332493 - 02/24/03 05:13 PM (21 years, 28 days ago)

Yes, and your suspected "brown cubes" are no-dout Coprinus... not active!!

Offlinebrizvegasguy
Stranger
    #1332978 - 02/24/03 11:29 PM (21 years, 27 days ago)

damnit.. i figured with the amount variation i was hopefully gonna hit at least one bullseye.. walking to work this arvo (after posting that topic) i came across an utter *&^(* load of mushrooms growing in the mulch at this little creekside park so I picked some on the way home.. that gallery will be up soon as well.. i've already possibly ID'd one species from the poisonous mushrooms post as Hypholoma fasciculare.. anyway there will be better descriptions up and some spore print colours.. so have a look if ya please =D

Offlinebrizvegasguy
Stranger
    #1333021 - 02/25/03 12:16 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

i might also add.. that so far.. none of the approximately 7 species I've found today have stained blue.. i think i'm doing something wrong.. with this awesome rainy weather for the past 2 weeks.. and i can't find anything good..

anyway here's the second gallery..

http://shrooms2.mypicgallery.com/

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1333218 - 02/25/03 03:16 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

Read John Allen's book at http://www.erowid.org

It is, "Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand."

Everything in there is in Australia except the Psilocybe cyanescens which Guzman added to my paper by mistake.

mj

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1333723 - 02/25/03 06:50 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

You're not finding anything active because you're looking in your backyard!! :wink:

Try going to a cow pasture and looking through the dung. Psilocybe cubensis and Copelandia cyanescens can be found in your neck of the woods during the right time of the year... (I think).

Look for some cow pastures, or some horse stables... You're probably only going to find stuff growing in there.

I dont know your climate...maybe give us a better description of how it is...!  :smile:

Check out MagicRooms posts here, he is finding some stuff! :smile: 

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1334086 - 02/25/03 08:42 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

I see some Coprinus, Mycenia, Psathyrella(possibly), Agaricus, Lepoita(yellow one), and possibly some Galerinas.

Sorry man, no dice... I wouldn't try eating any of those, all you'll get from them is sick, possibly even dead. Keep searching.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: brisbane, australia.. mushrooms [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1334375 - 02/25/03 10:02 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

Quite a nice mixture of aussie shrooms there in those pics! If only we had more rain down south!
MJ how often do you update that online book? I can confirm that panaeolus cyanescens is found in Victoria Australia and ive had reports of psilocybe cubensis down here as well. Also the dosage for subaeruginosa is a little high - they are damn potent shrooms - 1.4psilocybin .7ish psilocin from law-enforcement funded alkaloid analysis.
You could also explain that Ps.Subaeruginosa as found in victoria is Guzman's Australiana.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: brisbane, australia.. mushrooms [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1334508 - 02/25/03 10:48 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

In order to keep my status as a casual observer of habits, I cannot add anyones personal info until something is published. That validates my research.

I did talk to fire once about adding an update in a seaprate section ffrom the book since my book is based soleluy on my published research.

I know there are a lot of shrooms in different Australian States which tend to overlap other states boundary lines.

Anyway good luck on yoiur hunt.

mjshroom

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1334520 - 02/25/03 10:52 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

So what your saying is that your info from that book is based purely on published material? Where was that dosage for subaeruginosa published?
Im not why publshing validates your work, when you consider that much of what is published regarding Australian psychoactive mushrooms is factually incorrect and published outside Australia.

--------------------

Edited by Zen Peddler (02/25/03 10:53 AM)

Offlinebrizvegasguy
Stranger
    #1334618 - 02/25/03 11:24 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

i was really hoping i'd find some of those nice little ones that grow in wood mulch.. and there was some bagged cow dung out there from an experiment a few months ago which is sprouting pretty madly..

can anyone give me names (or believed names) in relation to what picture thei're looking at.. then i can change the descriptions in the gallerys which may prove useful for other brisbane shroomers? cheers =D

(working on spore printing them all properly now)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1335817 - 02/25/03 05:17 PM (21 years, 27 days ago)

I'll try guesses on a couple of the more distinctive looking ones for you.

From the first gallery, I only see one that is distinctive enough to ID without a more detailed description - #6. It looks like Marasmius siccus.

From the second gallery, #8 & 9 resemble Leucocoprinus birnbaumii.

I could try to guess on others, but they would be pretty wild guesses. You will probably do best if you pick out specific ones you want IDed and make detailed descriptions of them for us to work from.

Hope that was a little help, anyway.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: brisbane, australia.. mushrooms [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1335827 - 02/25/03 05:22 PM (21 years, 27 days ago)

I agree with you on the Marasmius... :smile:

Offlinenilobject
nil

#1336446 - 02/26/03 12:26 AM (21 years, 26 days ago)

brisvegasguy: hey. another brisbane guy here.

places where i've had luck hunting is on the surrounding mountains. there are alot of cow farms on those hills.

the recent rain has been absolutely perfect and the mushrooms are popping up like, well, mushrooms. by saturday the rain should calm down, so early saturday morning would be a great time to look.

most of the farmers i've run into and pretty cool about it too, so if a guy comes towards you, and he isn't a cop or holding any sort of firearm, then don't run. just explain what you are doing, don't have to be specific, and if they ask you to leave, then go.

happy hunting. show us what you find.

nil

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: brisbane, australia.. mushrooms [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1336878 - 02/26/03 05:04 AM (21 years, 26 days ago)

I spent 6 weeks in Australia and collected many specimens which I gave to Guzm?n. If you read the list of acknowledgements I personally contacted, both by mail and by telephoine, many of the people listed in the acknowledgements.

I merely said that Unless it is published it is not valid to the mycological academia.

That is all.

I also said I would work with erowid to make an update if that is what you all want.

Published works are often scrutinized and gone over AND information always changes. Kreigelstreiners paper caused riffes throughout the mycological world but everything in his paper on P. cyanescens and suspected species which he thought were one are not. Much of his work was and is considered invalid by western mycologists.

Gerhaardt does this with Panaeolus. He wants the genus to be Panaeolus witrhout Copelandia, Yet Western mycologists prefer the genus Copelandia.

Paul Stamets for instance added a whole bunmch of Stropharias to the Psilocybe genus but never published a paper so many mycologists do not considered those Stropharias to be Psilocybes.

Take a look at the Southcoot P. subaerugionosa photo at my site. Southcott did the taxonmy on that collection. They too are very different than a lot of the ones I collected in the early 1980s.

Anyway have a shroomy day and as you say yhe debate goes on.

The article is called a Review of Psychoactive Agarics in Australia and new Zealand and was originally published in the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs. AND AS i NOTED WAS A REVI9EW OF THEKNOWN LITERATURE, PLUS NEW INFO AND PHOTOS.

I would also like to point out that Paul Velgalys has already made microscopic identification obsolete with his new 50 page paper on DNA which now reclassifies all of the psilocybian mushrooms into a new genus (Clade) in phylogeny called Psychedlia. Based on DNA examination he has already put many of the genus into the DNA clades classifications. I have the papes on that. Too big to post but I will post the works I have on trhe Psilocybe.

Eventually they will rename the whole genus to Psychedelia .

Imagine, Psychedelia subaeruginosa, Psychedelia semilanceata, etc.

So that removes the word psilocybe. This only is being appliesd to those psilocybes which produce psilocine and/or psilocybine. Of which there are now 190 known species.

Here are a few pages of the paper to bring confusion to an aleready confused genus.

Edited by mjshroomer (02/26/03 05:26 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1336935 - 02/26/03 05:35 AM (21 years, 26 days ago)

HEre are three pages from the paper,

mj

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

mjshroomer

Offlinebrizvegasguy
Stranger
    #1338131 - 02/26/03 02:02 PM (21 years, 26 days ago)

cheers lads.. i'm going to try and get hold of a decent digi-cam to take some better pics and meet up with some local ethno-botanic enthusiasts around my area and hopefully put together a bit of a list/gallery of some common brisbane mushrooms (active and not active) which may help out people like myself who are just trying to identify the types of mushrooms growing in they're area.. and hopefully stop some people from eating bad ones  :frown:

ok, on a different note.. i went out yesterday and looked around a suburb which has a lot of cows.. i looked in fields and on the sides of the road and all i managed to find where those gallerina looking ones that i seem to be finding everywhere.. and two possible amanitas.

http://shrooms3.mypicgallery.com/

ok, the first ones (the really big ones.. now i've included a bottle cap for sizing help) i found just growing in the grass (possibly there had been some dung there at some stage) under the shade of a tree (sorry i don't know what the tree was).. there were about 8.. the biggest having a cap slightly bigger than a CD. The mushroom is white with a brown patch near the peak of the cap.. it has whitish/very pale green gills and a veil (that's the little ring around the stalk yeh?)

the second was found growing on someones footpath just in the dirt..it is completely white, including the gills. It has no real distinguishing features  :confused:

ok the third was found about a metre from the second in the dirt as well.. It has a deep orange cap (with some light orange blotches), a white stalk and white gills..

so far i haven't been able to get spores from any of these three..

hopefully i will be able to also borrow a dodgy computer miscroscope for some better spore/gill pics.. anyway.. this is all in it's infancy and the moment and not very well organised.. cheers for bearing with me :laugh:

Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

#1340256 - 02/27/03 09:15 AM (21 years, 25 days ago)

So you are coming to the Brisbane meet that I have posted about??
BTW you really need to look in places other than the side of the road... IE big well manured cow paddocks... Roadside might happen for Woodchip loving mushrooms but unless you live in a place like India where cows are allowed free roam you'll have to go to Cow Paddocks....

Anyway this is pretty much irrelevant as I think the Rains have been and gone and its then end of that little spurt.

Edited by mesq (02/27/03 09:23 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds