Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefostaar
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Pukatea: novel alkaloids and oils [Re: Cactusdan]
    #13346887 - 10/17/10 04:12 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

taking all your advice into consideration cactusdan. thanks for hearing me out and replying, i posted on here to get opinions and advice and it would be fuckn stupid to be unhappy with the opinions that have been generated (even though i was shocked and initially thought  :flipthebird:  haha)

Quote:

Cactusdan said:Although your case for being able to take from the wild is certainly the way it should be, it is sadly a highly unrealistic goal.

i know its an unrealistic goal, i dont think that the human race will be able to sustainably harvest anything from the wild in the near future but im confident that my personal amounts taken from the environment are fair and ecologically sound practise.

Quote:

Cactusdan said:As far as a opossum situation, the consideration of promoting the native raptor populations, and possibly captive breeding programs.

The problem with dropping poison pellets are that they travel through the entire ecosystem and effect WAY more species than just a few directly.

the people in charge of possum control have basically given up on eradication on the mainland and just hope to maintain the population as low as they possibly can year to year. its a sad and desperate situation.
the poison in question (sodium fluoroacetate) can biomagnify in carcasses but luckily our native scavenging predators are few and far between and as far as science can tell the poison breaks down to mostly acetic acid (vinegar) within an amount of minutes on contact with water of UV light. although thers a whooole heap of anecdotal evidence that its mean destructive to everything, i beleive its the lesser of two evils :sad:

DIY growing is choice :thumbup: i love having a vege garden and just recently bought two baby pachanoi. lovin it

man heavy discussion but thanks for all your honest replies guys, that is the most important purpose that a message board like this can serve
cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePoisonCrazy
Stranger

Re: Pukatea: novel alkaloids and oils [Re: Sir Cypher]
    #13369131 - 10/21/10 10:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Sir Cypher said:  I do hope however that a certain number of humans may outlive the apocalypse continue the race in a sustainable fashion.

Sadly I think our destructiveness is a natural outcome. Human beings are more effective in the short term by a take-no-prisoners attitude to the environment. Because of that groups that take this approach will conquer those who don't. It will be the death of us barring some scientific or technological revolution of amazing proportions. But one can hope...

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Pukatea: novel alkaloids and oils [Re: PoisonCrazy]
    #13379962 - 10/24/10 11:58 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

does anyone have any information on this species or sempervirens? toxic constituents? traditional dosage and administration route?

See the readers' comments for some preliminary info on "Pukatea":
http://newpfaf.webhost4life.com/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Laurelia%20novae-zealandiae

I would be honored to SASE for seeds, if they can be ethically harvested.

In turn, I would like to propagate plants like these and mail the offspring to anyone who can pay the postage.

I believe you have common sense but will try to refute posters, who imply that you don't.

I see myself more as a productive member of "the" keystone specie, rather than an apex predator / consumer.

We moderns exist under a global 5th Plank and would be comparatively helpless without credit of any kind.

Consider the idea of uncompensated debt interacting with the world around you, and the cause of environmental ruin becomes obvious.

I doubt whether any of your detractors are living off the land, in a permaculture situation.

It is my experience that this lifestyle would support many more native species than it displaces.

Offlinekitson
Stranger

Re: Pukatea: novel alkaloids and oils [Re: fostaar]
    #24538769 - 08/08/17 09:00 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

The pukatea (Laurelia novæ-zealandiæ) is one of the most characteristic trees of the northern part of New Zealand, and belongs to the Monimiaceæ, a small family best represented in the tropics. The genus is confined to South America and New Zealand.
Attention was first drawn by the author (New Zealand Department of Agriculture Report, 1901, p. 284) to the occurrence of an alkaloid in the tree bark. The bark when chewed gave a tingling sensation of the tongue and was traced to an alkaloid of definite melting-point.  It has been found that the alkaloid, melting at 200o C., for which the name pukateine was given. Pukateine has the composition and molecular weight corresponding to the formula C17H17NO3.  Pukateine has strong analgesic properties similar to morphine, but does not have the after-effects of morphine.  On intravenous injection the blood-pressure falls slightly, the heart beats slowly and forcibly and a  calm and relaxed feeling is felt for many hours.
  Fresh bark weighing 75 kilos (166 lb.) from trees in the Marlborough Sounds, collected in July, was reduced to a fine pulp and steeped in alcohol containing 0.5 per cent. of acetic acid. By three similar treatments 21.75 gallons of alcoholic extract were obtained. From the cooled and filtered hot aqueous extract of the alcoholic residue the pukateine was obtained by shaking the acid extract with chloroform. The chloroformic residue yielded 164 grams of the alkaloid in white prisms on the addition of a little alcohol.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag