Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
non-fuzzy mycelium
    #1331539 - 02/24/03 12:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

so i have been reading that mycelium should be fluffy/fuzzy for pins. if one's mycelium is not fluffy, what should one do? thanks! (i dont believe i already asked this, but if i did, i will delete this one)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: non-fuzzy mycelium [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #1331735 - 02/24/03 02:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i am guessing nobody knows...
well, thanks anyway...

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1331781 - 02/24/03 02:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

What exactly do you mean by "not fluffy"?  Elaborate a bit  :smile:  Is the mycelium turning any certain color?  Is it dry to the touch? 

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: non-fuzzy mycelium [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1332021 - 02/24/03 04:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well, the mycelium is nice and white. it is getting bluish (bruising in a few tiny spots only) because i keep handling it in desperation wondering why it wont pin... it looks SMOOTH. it does NOT look stringy and fluffy. to the touch, it feels kinda slippery (it is wet from misting - i have it in a terrarium covered with saran wrap now) because of the water. in a couple of the crevases, there appear to be "stringy" mycelium, but the overall surface just looks like icing has been spread all over the substrate. i guess the best description is that it looks dense and white and smooth. i dont see any of those bumps that spawn primordia pins. i am considering removing it completely from the mycobag and letting all of its surface be exposed to see if the sides will pin - is that a good idea? if my mycelium are not fluffy, is there a way to help them? would this be the case where i should dunk? i am really confused since this is my first attempt at "mycology." if you need me to describe more, or say something else, let me know. thanks for the help in advance.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

#1332128 - 02/24/03 04:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds like mycelium to me. A friend's first cakes had some of the same characteristics that you are describing. Don't handle it so much, that will just make the process go much slower.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: non-fuzzy mycelium [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1332317 - 02/24/03 05:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thanks angry mycologist! you dont sound to angry in your advice, but oh well...
so yeah, this particular person has handled it too much because this particular person keeps picking it up to LOOK for pins since this particular person has never seen one. this person i keep refering to has bruised the mycelium slightly in many different spots. will this affect the potency of this particular person's mushrooms? or will everything be okay if this particular person stops touching it? anyone know if i should be dunking at all? thanks for the help

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

#1332437 - 02/24/03 06:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

this person i keep refering to has bruised the mycelium slightly in many different spots. will this affect the potency of this particular person's mushrooms? 

Shouldn't  :grin:

Just be patient dude.  Let it get some privacy. 

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation