Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Mycobags, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
mycobag help - pinning
    #1331416 - 02/24/03 12:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i colonized a mycobag with treasure coast. i gave it conditions to pin and it has now been a week and there are no pins. i decided that perhaps the mycobag was drying out too much (the mycelium are not fluffy at all... it looks kinda hard - i hear fluffy is good? im not sure). so i CUT the top of the bag off and rolled it down so that the top of the substrate is exposed. under sterile conditions, i placed the "cake" in a small terrarium covered with saran wrap. it is getting nice indirect light and i am misting (H2O with a little H2O2) about 3+ times per day. does ANYONE have any idea why i am not seeing ANY pins at all? is there something i am doing wrong here, or does it just take weeks and weeks for mycobags to pin? ANY HELP would really be appreciated very much. i thank you in advance. peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: mycobag help - pinning [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #1332038 - 02/24/03 04:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It always took me 2-3 weeks for my 1st pins to come. I don't know why, but the flushes after that comes with in the week after harvest. Did you try dunking and cold shocking? Also what temp is it in?

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: mycobag help - pinning [Re: daussaulit]
    #1332081 - 02/24/03 04:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

someone had advised me to coldshock in the fridge for 6 hours. i shocked for 8 and then put it in light at room temp (anywhere between 72-80). after 5 days (someone told me they should appear within 5 days), i cut open the bag and put it in a terrarium similar to your flowerpot design. i have no access to casing so that isnt an option whatsoever. what i DO have is a misting bottle, saran wrap, mini-terrariums (bowls, pots, dishes, etc), h202, h20, rubbing alcohol, etc. i was concerned that my mycelium dried out too much in the bag (there were always tiny water droplets on the inside, but still...) since i am in minnesota and it is a DRY and cold climate. the mycelium now (after cutting the bag away so i can see it up close) look really smooth and are not very fluffy at all. i dont know if this is a problem... the whole colonization process went very quickly and seemed to go fine... this is why i am confused! and there are no contams... only some minor bruising from my fingers. any thoughts? ask me if you need more info

OfflineSyco
Trigger Man

#1332100 - 02/24/03 04:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

a friend of a friend cold shocked a myco bag on the 02/10/03 and began fruiting on the 11th. It just started to pin on 02/22/03 hang in there

--------------------
- I fart in thou general direction -

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: mycobag help - pinning [Re: Syco]
    #1332111 - 02/24/03 04:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

a friend of a friend cold shocked a myco bag on the 02/10/03 and began fruiting on the 11th. It just started to pin on 02/22/03 hang in there

Huh? It was fruiting before it pinned?

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1332115 - 02/24/03 04:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It sounds like your saying you opened the bag up after the five days of light. correct me if i am wrong.
Some people wait till they start seeing pins to open the bag up, but IMO you should open up the bag as soon as you are ready to pin, as the introduction of airflow and reduction in CO2 will dramaticly help the initiation of pin formation. this should also increase the number of fruits you get on your first flush.
and daussaulit: i think by fruiting [s/he] meant introduction of fruiting conditions.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (02/24/03 04:48 PM)

Offlinedeathinchaos
regular
Re: mycobag help - pinning [Re: canid]
    #1332144 - 02/24/03 04:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You should try some perlite

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: mycobag help - pinning [Re: deathinchaos]
    #1332304 - 02/24/03 05:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

that is correct, i opened the bag a few days after i gave it pinning conditions. the bag was only striped down to the point where the top of the cake is exposed. i am thinking that i should throw the bag out all together as to let the sides of the cake have the opportunity to pin as well. but yes, it is just sitting in my mini terrarium getting fresh air and mist (how much? do i make it WET? or just so it is barely moist?). i have no access to perlite or any casings for THIS particular grow.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1332314 - 02/24/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i would say just use frequent light misting, not enough to make it wet, just damp. if your whole block seems overly dry i'd dunk it.
where have you checked for perlite?

btw, could you give details on your fruiting conditions [temp, humidity, etc]?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (02/24/03 05:58 PM)

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
    #1332385 - 02/24/03 06:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ok i took a pot (for cooking) and put my "cake" (opened mycobag...) in it and covered the top with saran wrap. i am not sure how porous saran wrap is, so i dont know if the temperature inside the terrarium is the same as the room temperature (the room is always somewhere between 72 and 80). as for the humidity - well, i havent measured it, but i assume that if there is condensation inside the terrarium, that must be pretty humid... (?)
i havent checked for perlite anywhere. i COULD get it i know that, but i am limited as to where i can go right now (college campus in the middle of nowhere...) and dont have my car right now. unfortunately, this grow will not get the benefit of casing or anything of that sort. so, i must do it without.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1332407 - 02/24/03 06:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

condensation is caused by a diference in temperature between the inside and outside of the terarium, not just by humidity, so you can get condensation even if the humidity is too low for fruiting conditions. you should invest in a hygrometer.

--------------------

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
    #1332443 - 02/24/03 06:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hey, i have a question about lighting. i know mushies do not use light for food like plants, so obviously they dont need much. but, HOW much is too little? if i can SEE them, then is there enough light?

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1332511 - 02/24/03 07:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ambient room light for even a verry short time each day is plenty.
i don't know for sure, but i've had spawn jars pin invitro from a few sec while checking on them.

--------------------

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #1334014 - 02/25/03 10:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Take it out of the bag. Fill a tupperware bowl full of water throw your cake in there and put the top on it. put it in the fridge for 12 hours. Take it out fill the bottom of the bowl full of moist perlite. Best technique put perlite in strainer and run water over it until it comes out the bottom.Get a clear bowl a little bigger than the other or just any that will give the cake a little space. Set the cake on aluminum foil a little piece. make sure your clear bowl has water droplets on it. Eat the mothefucker that comes out the middle! fan twice a day. i know it seems risky but if its 100% don't worry

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: mycobag help - pinning [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #1337554 - 02/26/03 12:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

so, he came home from class this morning and noticed that he had 1/2 cm long pins!! they popped up over night! they are not clustered together though - there is one here, one there, etc.

i was reading about misting. he thinks that misting pins is not necessarilly BAD, but it can be... so, how should he keep the cake moist enough without misting? or will it be okay until harvest, and then he could mist or dunk?

after the first flush, is it recommended to dunk, or is misting enough? (he has a cake that was taken out of a mycobag, just in case anyone is wondering).

thanks everybody

peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Mycobags, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation