Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: RE: [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #13474936 - 11/12/10 05:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yes they do look like ovoids from the photos I've seen...the only thing is we've yet to see them fruit in Spring, but so far with Alan's microscopy, it's at least a cousin to ovoids..Hopefully next week we can get some photo microscopy of these

also, here's a few shots about halfway dry, about an hour after I sicced the fan on it. Compared to cyans, they have a more greyish/greenish tint..Even when totally dry they look more grey than cyans /friscosa

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: RE: [Re: auweia]
    #13474966 - 11/12/10 05:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The colour there looks like a good match to the published description of that species, orangish-brown to yellowish-brown becoming almost white in drying.

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#13474982 - 11/12/10 05:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

also, a Gooogle alert of ovoids came across a new publiched PDF from MJ shroomer  (yeah, I know)

https://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?A=ShowDocPartFrame&C=ref&ID=7810&DocPartID=6911

so he's saying he got them to fruit AFTER freezing the mycelium, which is supposed to recreate the after winter/spring fruitng

but that isn't happening with this SF variety..Plus the photos in the PDF appears to have a more pronounced annulus than these today..many here didn't have any annulus at all

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13475093 - 11/12/10 06:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I've seen that although I don't believe that species requires a freezing period to induce fructification, a cold shock is helpful as in most fungi but not freezing.

The published description for that species mentions a membranous annulus that is evanescent which can be translated as quickly fading or disappearing which would explain the lack of an annulus in your specimens, especially the aged specimens.

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: RE: [Re: inski]
    #13475333 - 11/12/10 06:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yes, that could be...you can see a slight annulus in some of these...These four might be worth a blow up at full resolution

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13475475 - 11/12/10 07:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I can definitely see a membranous annulus that has almost completely faded away in the older specimens in those images and in your second image there it is evident in the young specimen at the top right hand corner!

It's interesting that this fruiting produces mature specimens that are upturned and undulating but your other collection from last year doesn't, I think those macroscopic characters could represent different phenotypical variations due to environmental conditions.

Nice pics by the way:cool:

--------------------

Edited by inski (11/12/10 07:31 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#13475577 - 11/12/10 07:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

well, we do now know that the conical type, also related to ovoids stays conical no matter what the conditions, because that was now fruited in switzerland and stayed conical the whole way through

2008, conical type

this one here is probably the same as last years black chip finds, but this year many are more mature

last year

this year, new spot

although all of these are related, people have trouble calling the conical type and the wavy type the same thing. This seems a similar situation between cyans and friscosa, where those are closely related, but not quite the same

but either way, all of them, ovoids, friscosa, cyans are pretty potent, no matter which shape they are

edit >> I should also mention that all three of these spots are only 1 mile from each other, so they all had similar weather conditions. But the conical type is primarily a spring fruiter, while the other two have only been seen in fall, so far

Edited by auweia (11/12/10 09:17 PM)

OfflineRmor1551
Stranger
    #13476000 - 11/12/10 09:34 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Went out walking today. Checked on my best spot and was very happy to see hundreds, if not thousands of little babies and youngsters peeking there heads out through the dense debris on the ground. Picked a few handfulls of the older ones that I could find and the ones that were looking very dry. Lots of dry looking youngsters too. Ahhh if only we could get some more rain. It was pretty warm in SF today. Beautiful day though. After I hit my spot, I went to another spot I know of where there's literally mountains of wood chips laying, rotting away. I pinched off the stem butts like you were saying auweia, and transplanted mycelium in probably 30-40 locations. I'll never remember em all but that's ok :crazy2:. Last picture was a cyan look alike. Not sure on the name...

OfflineOregonBluesGil
Forager/Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Humboldt County Flag
Re: RE: [Re: Rmor1551]
    #13476103 - 11/12/10 10:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Dam guys thats amazing,I wish I had the Time to put into hardcore hunting,Here are some finds from eureka,Ca.Nothing special,But better then nothing.Things are looking up.

--------------------
I'm in a Magical Mushroom land!

Offlinenever_2_high
Stoner
 User Gallery

Re: RE: [Re: OregonBluesGil]
    #13476399 - 11/12/10 11:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Nice finds Auweia. I will be going to the bay tomorrow, Wish me luck.:mushroomgrow:

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: RE: [Re: never_2_high]
    #13477512 - 11/13/10 09:09 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

hey for those in the upper Sacramento valley, it might be time to start looking as cyans and friscosa have been reported out there in years past

you probably already know this looking out the window, but the great Tule Fog has returned and it shows up like this on the radar

radar sees it as light rain and drizzle and that's from this morning. It often leaks into the bay area when the air is still, like right now, which is why the humidity is 98% right now

Basically, that's the Bay Areas secret 'Plan B' when it hasn't rained for awhile..Yep, and it's often enough to keep mushrooms growing and not dry out too much

happy hunting!

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#13479166 - 11/13/10 04:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

day around the bay

detail

Edited by auweia (11/13/10 07:16 PM)

OfflineTippyCup
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #13479829 - 11/13/10 07:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Congratulations on the big find!  Having started to put some real time in this year I fully appreciate the good feeling you must have. It inspires me to learn and look, while adding the element of potential glory to an already pleasing adventure.
Damn this high pressure.
I was able to find a cyan patch today of decent size (well for me, about 20 shrooms in total, pins and floppy-topped).  As of this week I now have one friscosa and three cyan patches to call my own(the cyans all within 2acres of GGP.  It seems odd to me, but all the cyans I've found have been in soil, some a couple feet from chips that aren't very dry.  Maybe the chippy areas are just a bit too dry and will erupt with some lasting dampness, since my finds are all shaded in grass nearby.
Found some lovely prince's in the marina on my way home from work this morning, with a lovely vista of the marine park down below.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: RE: [Re: TippyCup]
    #13479925 - 11/13/10 07:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

thanks...yes this high pressure isn't good, but it won't end the season...We've had this before many times

there's a whole lotta mycelium at the surface, waiting for the next rain

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #13479931 - 11/13/10 07:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

wow man your blowing me away

iv been racing all around looking every mornign before work and i still have no real finds yet this year

the lack of rain is really starting to get me worried. but im hopeful
dec and jan are still to come

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: RE: [Re: notapillow]
    #13479975 - 11/13/10 07:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yes, I know it's freaking people out, but I can honestly say that it's all in public areas..many of the ones today are in a housing complex, and it's just one of these places where many factors come together to make it one heck of a spot...very shady, many trees and foliage around, and heavy and thick wood chips

in fact, all of it's on north facing little slopes, where it's shady all day, almost no sun...right across the street where it gets sunny there is nothing at all (it's all on one side of the street, little microclimate...I mean in a couple of cases it's just a wooden fence keeping it shady all day))

and that is really hard to find, all those right conditions at the same time, I have to admit, right now in this dry weather

but don't fret, it will rain eventually..the season is just beginning...PNW may be peaking now, but we won't reach our peak until Christmas, or even in January which has happened here more than once

edit>>  I mean it actually gets to the point with this dry weather I won't even bother hunting an areas that get much sun..It takes a lot of hunting, but you start to notice what areas are shady at least all the way through noon about this time of year

and it takes a lot of hunting for a long time to get to where you can narrow it down like that..it's things like noticing where the sun and shade is when you're there and what time of day..A single corner of a building(or bush or tree) can make all the difference

for example, the new p ovoideocystidiata find seems counter intuitive, because it's out in the open and right next to a sidewalk and is sunny

except that it's actually shady all the way until; 1pm because of a building next door, and it only happens in winter, because the building isn't tall enough to shade it in summer

it's just barely enough, and it worked

but one of these days pretty soon, we're going to get a good solid week of rain, and all this shady area stuff won't matter anymore, because they'll be peaking out in the open...and then it'll be like hunting madness and mayhem and roving bands of feral barking humans?

hehe

edit 2>.. and no I can't remember all the spore drops and transplants I did over the years

unless I'm biking around and get close to a spot, then i recognize it and remember everything about it

that's how it's done

my past haunts me to this day  LOL

but partly this year, 2010-2011 is to dispel a myth stated by one of our own OPs, that they all come up at the same time

they don't, and I'm here to prove it and dispel that myth

that statement couldn't be further from the truth

the fact is, the San Francisco Bay Area season is one of the longest on the planet, nearly 6 six months out of the year give or take

there is NO other climate on earth that last as long as San Francisco
and we're about to prove it, for the next four months>>>long after the PNW has frozen solid, which could happen within a few weeks

:laugh:

hehe, believe it

PPS  > I needed to show how San Francisco is waaay more cool than the PNW, in the long run

NP. Omaha - Moby Grape - 1967

listen my friends - skip spence

Edited by auweia (11/13/10 10:48 PM)

Offlinenever_2_high
Stoner
 User Gallery

#13481160 - 11/14/10 01:21 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So I had some luck today, I will post pictures tommorrow. Im too lazy and tired to do it right now, it's time to smoke a fatty and relax. Also cool pictures of those patches Auweia. :peace:

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: RE: [Re: never_2_high]
    #13482327 - 11/14/10 11:01 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

more san francisco ovoids from this morning..what an insane spot..making many transplants today all over

InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
    #13482570 - 11/14/10 11:57 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

auweia said:
hey for those in the upper Sacramento valley, it might be time to start looking as cyans and friscosa have been reported out there in years past

I've already been looking here, only woodchip species that seems to be popping so far is Agrocybe putaminum though...but I can feel that the right weather is close. :smile:

Offlinekryst0pher
Curiousity
Male
Loc: Alemeda County CA
Re: RE: [Re: Byrain]
    #13482660 - 11/14/10 12:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Such an inspiration you guys! What awesome finds in our own back yard! As a youth my twin bro always touted his "patches" in PNW, I can't wait to finally out do him right here in the bay! I've just started this new passion but already I'm finding patches of this or that... Nothing active yet mind you, but I'm beginning to get into the mind set of where and what to look for. I'm positive as the season continues that I'll be able to discover my own little patches... As I do, I'll be sure to post pics here to help inspire others as I have been inspired by all of you.

Jah Bless,
PherciousX

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract