Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Just an article about healing
    #1328140 - 02/23/03 05:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.sundayherald.com/31549

Sounds plausible to me.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
Re: Just an article about healing [Re: Revelation]
    #1330951 - 02/24/03 06:58 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Good article. Thanks for posting the link. I am a
Reiki practitioner(among other certifications) and
agree that the human body, at is base level, is merely
energy.

I am surprised this thread did
not receive any replies. Here is a copy of the article
for those who did not want to click the link:

Quote:

This life: She's Electric

Zoe Alexander has a hidden power. She's no doctor yet can heal the sick using electromagnetic energy. It sounds like a quack alternative medicine, but scientific approval is propelling it into the mainstream, finds Jean West

ZOE Alexander doesn't look like your average healer. She's female for a start so out go the crude stereotypes of weirdy beardies and voodoo-worshipping shamen. Alexander has the air of a completely focused businesswoman, which is precisely what she was before energy medicine transformed her life.
Among those who say they've benefited from the 30-year-old's therapeutic powers is a woman whose cancer is now in remission and a woman who's been cured of a disabling chronic fatigue syndrome. Others have come forward insisting that cases of psoriasis, depression, broken bones, chronic pain, respiratory disease and arthritis have all vanished or eased considerably since Alexander intervened.

She is not exactly what you would term a faith healer, although implicit belief in her powers to restore health are vital to her work. Nor does she subscribe to any particular religion. She is a practitioner of electro- magnetic medicine, an area she firmly believes will one day be accepted into the mainstream.

The technique has been dismissed as quackery in medical circles for years, but new studies might just bestow it with more respectability.

In terms of physics, it is based on the acknowledged fact that matter -- including that which composes human beings -- is not solid. We are made of energy: molecules and atoms which vibrate at a number of frequencies. In doing so we produce our own magnetic fields in the same way as the earth, which can be manipulated to effect healing.

Healers believe that thought is a manifestation of this energy and can be used in a positive or negative way. Research has already shown that a single thought can effect a whole cascade of hormonal changes within the body which can either induce a state of profound well-being or misery and illness.

Dr James Oschman, a resp-ected American cell biologist and physiologist, worked for 15 years to produce a scientific paradigm to explain the healing phenomenon. He discovered that the pulse of each heart beat is capable of pumping an electrical charge through the blood stream to different parts of the body -- so certain individuals could emit fields with similar frequencies and intensities from their hands to heal.

In his book -- Energy Medicine, The Scientific Basis -- he concluded 'that an understanding of 'spontaneous' healing may not be as far away as we might think'.

Dr Paul Stevens, of the Koestler Parapsychology department at the University of Edinburgh, agrees that electromagnetic energy can be harnessed for healing.

'We used to think that electromagnetic fields could not effect human functioning, except at high strengths. Now we find that even a weak field can change mood and behaviour. It is quite a widespread practice to use a small electric current to speed up bone fractures that are not healing and we know that cells in the body communicate with each other using electro- magnetic signals.'

However, he cautions: 'Until we understand the mechanisms of how it all works it is unlikely to become mainstream.'

Alexander, who practices a form of energy healing called Bi Aura, says: 'It has been scientifically proven that illness and emotional disharmony exist at lower frequencies in the body. All a Bi Aura therapist seeks to do is to raise the energetic frequency to improve or cure the patient.' Originally a pharmaceuticals representative, her background helped her identify the limitations of modern medicine. 'It is fantastic for acute illness, but not very good for chronic conditions. I knew there had to be more to establishing good health.'

She found this out for herself after suffering from glandular fever as a teenager and then careering into clinical depression for three years. A lengthy course of anti-depressants while studying an arts degree at Edinburgh University did nothing to alleviate her suffering and ultimately she flushed them down the toilet and tapped the well of her own healing resources. 'I made myself completely better by changing the way I thought. I later understood the energetic component of this process.

'I had always been aware of this energy within me. My Mum has healing hands -- when she was around a sick person they would burn, even if she did not know they were unwell.'

Alexander decided to train in the field and was excited by what she learned about herself. One doctor, who has a device for measuring electromagnetic frequency, said her reading was off the scale.

June Hillhouse, of Edinburgh, is convinced that an aggressive form of cancer that swept from her bowel to her lungs and adrenal glands was halted by Alexander. While she initially underwent chemotherapy for the condition, it continued to spread until she met the healer.

'I am now in remission,' says the 62-year-old. 'The tumour in one of my adrenal glands is dead, a second is millimetres instead of centimetres and the one in the right lung is now minuscule.

'When I started seeing Zoe there were instant changes. During sessions I could feel the electricity running through me making my hair stand up. There were these snapping or crackling sounds. I would also see these amazing colours. I know it works.'

Catherine Simpson, a linguist, also from Edinburgh, was wiped out with chronic fatigue and food intolerances for years before she met Alexander. The 33-year-old visited numerous doctors and alternative therapists for help, but nothing brought relief. At the same time her weight was spiralling out of control and she was becoming depressed.

'When I started to see Zoe I stopped being so pessimistic, my spirits began to feel high,' she said. 'I addressed issues that were dragging me down like missing my father after his death and coping with the well of mourning and pain.'

The chronic fatigue evaporated over a number of months and although the sessions had not initially focused on losing weight, the pounds started to fall off.

'I only do 50% of the work,' says Alexander. 'The other 50% has to be done by the healee. It involves self-belief and the idea that you can transcend what is wrong with you.'

Finding evidence to authenticate energy healing has now moved on from the emotive affirmations of human beings which might be linked to a placebo effect.

Dr Serena Roney-Dougal, a parapsychologist based in Somerset, carried out double-blind studies over two years into the ability of healers to protect and increase a yield of lettuce seeds. Healer Marke Pawson visualised colours as energy pouring through his hands into the seeds. Amazingly, the seeds enhanced by healing showed reduced fungal damage and a 10% increase in total yield.

Whether the medical profession will make the most of these good vibrations remains to be seen.

For more information call Zoe Alexander on 0131-557 9858

Once again thanks for posting the link. Any comments on the article?

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Just an article about healing [Re: Peaceful_Nomad]
    #1331160 - 02/24/03 08:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I'm quite interested in Reiki although I don't know too much about it.  As I understand it the skill is passed on somehow from the practitioner to the learner, and from that point on the learner is able to practice Reiki, is that right?

If that's the case then it sounds like a very worthwhile way to spend an afternoon :cool:.   

--------------------

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
    #1331439 - 02/24/03 10:12 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

oh yes! believe me it is... my mom is a reiki master, and although she hasnt told me much about it, im beginning to feel the energy myself... its an amazing art, if you can call it that...

thanks for the link man!

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Just an article about healing [Re: In(di)go]
    #1331459 - 02/24/03 10:22 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

from an article by William T. Jarvis, Ph.D.

The word, Reiki, is of Japanese origin. Rei means "universal spirit, unlimited," and ki refers to the "life force" or "energy." Proponents credit a Dr. Mikao Usui with "re-discovering" Reiki some time around 1846 as part of his search of "sacred texts."

It is clear from proponents' descriptions that Reiki is but a variation of other healing superstitions such as "pranic healing" (ritual of ancient fertility religion, Wicca [ie, witchcraft]), qigong (based upon traditional Chinese medicine), Therapeutic Touch (a pseudomedical practice done by 20th Century American nurses), and unnamed shamanic healing practices that involve hand-waving, or laying-on-of-hands, healing rituals. Such rituals are magical practices that purport to manipulate unseen "spiritual" forces.

There is no evidence that clinical Reiki's effects are due to anything other than suggestion, or that they are superior to massage or any other healing ritual. Reiki's metaphysical beliefs may be in conflict with an individual patient's religious beliefs. Full disclosure of the belief system should precede its use in any setting. An investigation of proponent literature casts serious doubt as to whether Reiki practitioners can be trusted with such full disclosure. Reiki literature presents misinformation as fact, and instructs practitioners on how to skirt the law in order to protect themselves from regulation and accountability.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1331467 - 02/24/03 10:24 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Why Bogus Therapies Often Seem to Work by Barry L. Beyerstein, Ph.D.

Subtle forces can lead intelligent people (both patients and therapists) to think that a treatment has helped someone when it has not. This is true for new treatments in scientific medicine, as well as for nostrums in folk medicine, fringe practices in "alternative medicine," and the ministrations of faith healers.

Many dubious methods remain on the market primarily because satisfied customers offer testimonials to their worth. Essentially, these people say: "I tried it, and I got better, so it must be effective." The electronic and print media typically portray testimonials as valid evidence. But without proper testing, it is difficult or impossible to determine whether this is so.

This article describes seven reasons why people may erroneously conclude that an ineffective therapy works.

1. The disease may have run its natural course.
Many diseases are self-limiting. If the condition is not chronic or fatal, the body's own recuperative processes usually restore the sufferer to health. Thus, to demonstrate that a therapy is effective, its proponents must show that the number of patients listed as improved exceeds the number expected to recover without any treatment at all (or that they recover reliably faster than if left untreated). Without detailed records of successes and failures for a large enough number of patients with the same complaint, someone cannot legitimately claim to have exceeded the published norms for unaided recovery.

2. Many diseases are cyclical.
Such conditions as arthritis, multiple sclerosis, allergies, and gastrointestinal problems normally have "ups and downs." Naturally, sufferers tend to seek therapy during the downturn of any given cycle. In this way, a bogus treatment will have repeated opportunities to coincide with upturns that would have happened anyway.

3. The placebo effect may be responsible.
Through suggestion, belief, expectancy, cognitive reinterpretation, and diversion of attention, patients given biologically useless treatments often experience measurable relief. Some placebo responses produce actual changes in the physical condition; others are subjective changes that make patients feel better even though there has been no objective change in the underlying pathology.

4. People who hedge their bets credit the wrong thing.
If improvement occurs after someone has had both "alternative" and science-based treatment, the fringe practice often gets a disproportionate share of the credit.

5. The original diagnosis or prognosis may have been incorrect.
Scientifically trained physicians are not infallible. A mistaken diagnosis, followed by a trip to a shrine or an "alternative" healer, can lead to a glowing testimonial for curing a condition that would have resolved by itself. In other cases, the diagnosis may be correct but the time frame, which is inherently difficult to predict, might prove inaccurate.

6. Temporary mood improvement can be confused with cure.
Alternative healers often have forceful, charismatic personalities. To the extent that patients are swept up by the messianic aspects of "alternative medicine," psychological uplift may ensue.

7. Psychological needs can distort what people perceive and do.
Even when no objective improvement occurs, people with a strong psychological investment in "alternative medicine" can convince themselves they have been helped. According to cognitive dissonance theory, when experiences contradict existing attitudes, feelings, or knowledge, mental distress is produced. People tend to alleviate this discord by reinterpreting (distorting) the offending information. If no relief occurs after committing time, money, and "face" to an alternate course of treatment (and perhaps to the worldview of which it is a part), internal disharmony can result. Rather than admit to themselves or to others that their efforts have been a waste, many people find some redeeming value in the treatment.

--------------------

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1332787 - 02/24/03 08:13 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It's really weird - I just had a healing this afternoon by a friend who just returned from India. From feeling the energy in my body he could tell that I wasn't sleeping well and have been recently experiencing stomach pains. At the end of the healing I had to place one hand on my heart and one on his and he told me afterwards that I decided half way through this that maybe I should give and receive energy which is what I did. The guy also came up with a bunch of stuff prior to doing the body work which could only have been psychic. So I'm sold!  :smile:

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Just an article about healing [Re: Swami]
    #1333168 - 02/25/03 02:47 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Swami, I agree with the articles you have posted to the extent that we
must ALL be responsible through healthy sketicism and asking difficult
questions. We ALL seek homeostasis (balance) in our daily physical
existence.

By definition, if we (as individuals and humanity) are not at ease (see below),
then we are dis-eased. Physical and emotional imbalances are symptoms of
dis-ease. Most of us have been raised to treat the symptoms of disease, when
they arise (sniffles - antihistimine... body aches - antiinflamatory... etc. etc.),
and it is only when the symptoms persist for a length of time do we search for
the root cause of the dis-ease.

Main Entry: dis?ease
Pronunciation: di-'zEz
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English disese, from Middle French desaise, from des- dis- + aise ease
Date: 14th century
1 obsolete : TROUBLE
2 : a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning : SICKNESS, MALADY
3 : a harmful development (as in a social institution)
- dis?eased /-'zEzd/ adjective

Broken down a little further:

Main Entry: dis-
Function: prefix
Etymology: Middle English dis-, des-, from Old French & Latin; Old French des-, dis-, from Latin dis-, literally, apart; akin to Old English te- apart, Latin duo two -- more at TWO
1 a : do the opposite of b : deprive of (a specified quality, rank, or object) c : exclude or expel from
2 : opposite or absence of
3 : not
4 : completely
5 [by folk etymology] : DYS-

Main Entry: ease
Pronunciation: 'Ez
Etymology: Middle English ese, from Old French aise convenience, comfort, from Latin adjacent-, adjacens neighboring -- more at ADJACENT
Date: 13th century
1 : the state of being comfortable: as a : freedom from pain or discomfort b : freedom from care c : freedom from labor or difficulty d : freedom from embarrassment or constraint : NATURALNESS e : an easy fit
2 : relief from discomfort or obligation
3 : FACILITY, EFFORTLESSNESS
4 : an act of easing or a state of being eased
- ease?ful /-f&l/ adjective
- ease?ful?ly /-f&-lE/ adverb
- at ease 1 : free from pain or discomfort 2 a : free from restraint or formality b : standing silently (as in a military formation) with the feet apart, the right foot in place, and one or both hands behind the body -- often used as a command.

Furthermore, what is a doctor called who barely makes it through school and
graduates last in his (her) class? DOCTOR!! Why do you think all medical
professions (alternative or mainstream) share the noun of PRACTICE?!?

Main Entry: practice
Variant(s): also practise
Date: 15th century
1 a : actual performance or application b : a repeated or customary action c : the usual way of doing something d : the form, manner, and order of conducting legal suits and prosecutions
2 a : systematic exercise for proficiency b : the condition of being proficient through systematic exercise
synonym see HABIT

Health care professionals PRACTICING their craft (mainstream or alternative)
have access to common information regarding the application of the basic
principles. It is up to each individual to interperet said principles and apply them
in such a way to effect a positive outcome - homeostasis. In the application
of interpereted principles we have an individual PRACTICING, in hopes of
achieving homeostasis. The outcome of the applied principles will NEVER be
finite because each recipient will respond in accordance to their reality.

To bring this all together, regardless of any modality applied to acheive
homeostasis, the desire of the medical practitioner and patient alike is to
find balance. If the patient does not believe he/she will not get better, more
than likely that reality will manifest despite the practioners intent and best
efforts.

In other words, if the patient does not have FAITH in his/her caregiver,
effecting their present dis-ease will be an ardous journey. If the caregiver does
not have faith in the modality they are providing, the recipient will more than
likely not gain the maximum benefits, and balance will be difficult to achieve
at best.

Main Entry: faith
Pronunciation: 'fAth
Inflected Form(s): plural faiths /'fAths, sometimes 'fA[th]z/
Etymology: Middle English feith, from Old French feid, foi, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust -- more at BIDE
Date: 13th century
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
synonym see BELIEF
- in faith : without doubt or question : VERILY

Reiki is based in the belief we are comprised of energy and our
physical reality is a reflection of our individual energies. To be
successful in providing effective Reiki treatments, the practitioner
must be diligent in taking care of their own physical form.

Essentially, the practioner is like a magnifying glass. We all exist
within a Universal Energy Field (UEF). Our individual realities are what is
known as the Human Energy Field (HEF). The practioner is trained
to utilize his/her body to (much as a magnifying glass is used to
concentrate sunlight to produce fire) channel the UEF into the HEF for
healing purposes. Once again, mutual FAITH is core to the success of this
work.

In conclusion, we are ALL experiencing individual realities and nobody sees
the same thing EXACTLY as the other sees. It is only through clear, concise
communication we share our individual realities, compare notes, and
comprise a mutual reality = humanity.

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1333177 - 02/25/03 02:53 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Please choose:

When I have a broken bone, I go to a:

A. Medical doctor
B. Reiki practioner

When I have severe chest pains, I go to a:

A. Medical doctor
B. Reiki practioner

When I have a toothache, I go to a:

A. Dentist
B. Reiki practioner

When I have a vision problems, I go to a:

A. Optometrist
B. Reiki practioner

When I have a vague energy disturbance in my third chakra, I go to a:

A. Medical doctor
B. Reiki practioner

--------------------

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
 User Gallery

#1333308 - 02/25/03 04:04 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

LOL...Great questions. I would choose the MD for all but the last
malady. However, l will expound on the questions to show where
the Reiki practitioner would be of use.

Quote:

When I have a broken bone, I

Apply immediate first aid (Reiki being added to the mainstream
first aid practices) and seek an MD.

Quote:

When I have severe chest pains, I

(having the skills and professional knowledge to do so) palpate my
pectoralis minor to ensure the pain is not superficial soft tissue
hypertonicity. If I were exhibiting symptoms of an MI, I would seek
the services of the local hospital's ER!

If I did not have the aforementioned knowledge, I would not take any
chances with chest pain and seek and MD immediately. If the MD
did not find anything wrong with my cardiovascular system, I would
then seek the services of a Licesnsed Massage Therapist, Reiki
practitioner, acupuncturist, etc.

Quote:

When I have a toothache, I
Quote:

first palpate my muscles of mastication to ensure the ache is not
derived from a pinched nerve, referring to the mandible or masseter.
If I did not find relief from such work, I would then seek the services
of a DMD.

If the DMD found he/she needed to perform oral surgery, and my
mouth was forced open for an extended period of time, I would later
seek the services of a massage therapist/Reiki practitioner to ease
the discomfort of having to keep my mouth open for so long.

Quote:

When I have a vision problems, I

Get some rest. Unless the vision problems are sudden
and acute, it could be a sign of stress. Additonally, the
muscles that control the movement of the eyes (4) can
become hypertonic (exacerbated by physical, emotional or
nutritional stress) causing the shape of the eye to be
distorted, affecting vision. Through the working of said musculature,
eyesight can be restored to homeostasis.

Once again, if I didn't have much knowledge or skills in treating
the human condition, I would seek a trained medical professional.

Mainstream and alternative medicine should never be looked at
individually as a sole means to an end. ALL medical practices
designed to bring homeostasis to the human conditon should be
applied as necessary, in accordance with the reality the PATIENT
is experiencing. It is VERY important to be aware of the fact that
each individual accepts his/her reality limitations and applies those
limitations to daily life.

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

I tried to edit the above post to fix the paragraph errors, but for some reason this software has created improper paragraph forms

--------------------

Edited by Peaceful_Nomad (02/25/03 04:29 AM)

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
    #1333387 - 02/25/03 04:37 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

3. The placebo effect may be responsible.
Through suggestion, belief, expectancy, cognitive reinterpretation, and diversion of attention, patients given biologically useless treatments often experience measurable relief. Some placebo responses produce actual changes in the physical condition; others are subjective changes that make patients feel better even though there has been no objective change in the underlying pathology.

Hasn't the placebo effect been proven to work in test subjects? Technically, doesn't it work? In the paragraph above, do you really see anything bad about the known placebo side effects? If it works it works - so it works fake, big deal - it still works - if the media secretly admitted that it worked, EVERYONE would believe it worked, and technically, know one would be the wiser.. is that REALLY that bad of a thing? Easy healing! Saweet!

We can all cut back on medical supplies, spend the money to better improve our lives, and all in all better improve society. Would that REALLY be THAT BAD?
I just don't get it.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Just an article about healing [Re: nubious]
    #1333516 - 02/25/03 05:30 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

on placebo effect:
Would that REALLY be THAT BAD? I just don't get it.

No, it is not bad at all, except that the healing practioners are claiming that they are affecting the change by energy manipulation, not that they are inducing faith in the patient, thus the claim is false. Also the placebo effect works best with certain mindsets, but not all. A "real" healing technique such as setting a bone, works whether you believe or not.

--------------------

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
 User Gallery

#1333564 - 02/25/03 05:49 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Just a reminder... true healing comes from
within.Others can perform techniques to
assist a person in their healing, but
NOBODY can heal another!

Despite the modality of the medical practitioner,
they are only a catalyst to individual healing. Sure,
a doc could set my broken bone, but if I exist within
a heightened state of emotional, physical or nutritional
stress (or a combo of all 3), my personal healing
will be at a diminished rate.

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

Edited by Peaceful_Nomad (02/25/03 05:52 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale