Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Temperature Questions....
    #1330501 - 02/24/03 03:37 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have a few questions concerning temperature control that I still don't fully understand after reading through some teks.

1. If using an incubator with a subermsible heater which is weighted at the bottom in a rubbermaid conatiner set at around 80*....wouldn't the plastic of the rubbermaid container get too hot and melt???

2. If using the Average Mans Terrarium how do to regulate the temperature inside the the terrarium. The perlite and water helps regulate the humidity but how do you regulate the
temperature for one of these terrariums?

3. I'm hearing a lot about "blue" light...how you should get a lighting source that emits a lot of blue light....what kind of blub are we talking about? How many watts should it be?

4. Is perlite and water pretty much all you need for good humidity or is there something else that can help maintain good humidity?

Thanx in advance....answers are VERY much appreciated. You guys are very helpful, and so is this entire site. God bless the shroomery.

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Temperature Questions.... [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1330518 - 02/24/03 03:44 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

1. Don't let the glass heating element come into contact with the plastic.

2. Room temperature works fine unless you live in an igloo.

3. Normal room lighting is all you need. Why complicate things?

4. Damp perlite is very effective.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinedr4g0n
sleeps withdragons

#1330526 - 02/24/03 03:48 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Im not a pro but ill try and answer these...

1. If using an incubator with a subermsible heater which is weighted at the bottom in a rubbermaid conatiner set at around 80*....wouldn't the plastic of the rubbermaid container get too hot and melt???

No. Most plastic doesnt melt until way over 150* f. If your thinking 80*c, that would kill your cakes and it might possibly melt the plastic.

2. If using the Average Mans Terrarium how do to regulate the temperature inside the the terrarium. The perlite and water helps regulate the humidity but how do you regulate the
temperature for one of these terrariums?

Regulate it however you want. My friend in bali has a heating pad under his terrarium, but thats just how he does it. You can put it next to a radiator, put it in direct sunlight, put it near your boiler in your basement, etc, etc. Just drop a thermometer in it and check the temp regularly.

3. I'm hearing a lot about "blue" light...how you should get a lighting source that emits a lot of blue light....what kind of blub are we talking about? How many watts should it be?

Im not 100% positive but i do know they sell blue lights for reptiles at pet stores. That might be what your looking for, HOWEVER... careful, those bitches get hot!!

4. Is perlite and water pretty much all you need for good humidity or is there something else that can help maintain good humidity?

Options are limitless... My friend in bali bought an air pump for a fish tank and has it sitting in a tray with water in his tank, along with perlite and the occasional misting. If you have money then i would reccomend this http://fountains-accessories-pumps-lights-mistmakers.com/mistmakers.html

--------------------
Talk to my Aol Instant messenger robot, screen name YakSpuiT
http://www.canivour.net/~yakspuit/

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1330572 - 02/24/03 04:09 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1330584 - 02/24/03 04:15 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

"blue lights" are cool white floroucents.. warm white floroucents emmit redish light. shouldn't take a very high wattage, from what i understand they don't need much light..  Good luck  :grin: 

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: Temperature Questions.... [Re: Anno]
    #1330594 - 02/24/03 04:17 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Damn thanx for the quick responses...you guys are awesome.

Anno:
I went to that link...thanx btw. They mentioned X-Mas lights...will that really work?..sounds like a good idea...not too much light and they don't get that hot...you could probably secure them around the inside top rim of a container put the top on and never have to check on it that much...

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1330658 - 02/24/03 04:46 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

>They mentioned X-Mas lights...will that really work?..

According to several people, yes.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder