Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Shared characteristics of altered states
    #1330195 - 02/24/03 02:50 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

At uni I did a presentation of altered states of consciousness (as I mentioned in the pick the drug vs religious experience etc post) and this table appeared in a few of the articles I read. These characteristics are supposed to be common to all sorts of altered states ie. trance, dissociation, sleep, daydreams, dissociation, auto-hypnotic states, spirit possession, meditation, drug induced states, religious experience, sensory deprivation, etc. I thought the table was pretty interesting so decided to post it here...

* Alterations in thinking - including disturbance in attention, judgement and memory

* Disturbed time sense - either the experience of timelessness or rapid acceleration of time

* Loss of control - a shift to an external locus of control and also a decreased ability to selectively attend to stimuli

* Change in emotional expression - emotions are intensified and range from euphoria to depression

* Body image change - a feeling of separation between mind and body may occur or the person may passively observe their own body

* Perceptual distortions and perceptual hyperacuity - change in meaning or significance of ideas and perceptions; some ideas which might otherwise be considered ordinary suddenly become intense revelations

* Sense of the ineffable - difficulty in communicating ideas

* Feelings of rejuvenation, rebirth and new hope

* Hypersuggestibility - suggestibility to explicit and implicit instruction, with the tendency to misperceive and distort stimuli

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Edited by enotake2 (02/24/03 02:56 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
Re: Shared characteristics of altered states [Re: enotake2]
    #1331884 - 02/24/03 03:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

**bump to match

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

InvisibleLord_of_Fungus
The AlmightyLord & Master ofThe Universe

#1332076 - 02/24/03 04:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

One of the interesting things I remember during my most memorable trips, were that whenever I was around people, it seemed like they were all really bad actors trying to pretend they're people....especially on tv...and sometimes I'd see like a black ring, not really a hole, but like a small blank black spot where their eyes should be....just wanted to share that....

--------------------

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: Shared characteristics of altered states [Re: Lord_of_Fungus]
    #1332792 - 02/24/03 10:16 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

A bit like your avatar.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1333025 - 02/25/03 02:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

probably one of the most powerful states ive experienced is that sense of timelessness.

the ability to just sink into your chair and watch everything in the room just melt away. you have no idea how much time is going by. It feels like one moment has been frozen and you have transformed yourself into the very essence of that moment. pulling out every angle in it.
People's voices or any sound in the room start to echo and fade off into the distance.
You feel like your vision up until this point has just been a movie screen and now you are slowly backing away from the screen into the vast darkness of the theatre and your mind. the light of the room is fading farther and farther into the horizon...

then someone shakes you or you just snap out of it and have absolutely no idea how much time has gone by... could have been 5 minutes or an hour! crazy shit...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology