Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Has anyone considered becoming a monk?
    #1325724 - 02/22/03 12:35 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Has anyone considered becoming a monk? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1325728 - 02/22/03 12:39 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I was interested in staying with Shaolin monks in northern China. Still am actually.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Has anyone considered becoming a monk? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1325730 - 02/22/03 12:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1325786 - 02/22/03 02:28 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

what type of monk?
religious retreats (from weekend to months...) can sometimes be arranged with some orders, without the neccessity for "taking vows")
trappist, zen & vippassana, sufi, & no doubt many others are out there, if you  know how to seek :wink: ...
like ol' guru bill, sez: "there's a seeker born every minute."
:wink:
~
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Loc: the in-between
Re: Has anyone considered becoming a monk? [Re: gnrm23]
    #1326144 - 02/22/03 07:30 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, but i've opted for a similar approach and am in the process of savin up. For like 5 grand you can live happily for the rest of your life. Get some cheap property out in like NM, southwest US is good, or some foreign country. 1k for a half acre I estimate. 1k+ for a well. Live in a tipi, 300, or build a cob house.. much like adobe but can survive wetter climates. Why pay thousands of dollars on a house when the best building material is under you feet? Set up some solar panels, get yourself a garden going and you're set. Well it's not exactly that simple, but you get the idea..

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1326157 - 02/22/03 07:39 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have sometimes considered becoming a Buddhist monk. In Buddhism, monasticism is only temporary for most people, as opposed to the lifelong vows that Christian monks take. I believe it would be very enlightening to live as a Buddhist monk, and might help me get my life together and get my priorities straight. I could then go out into the world with a clearer head and a sense of purpose.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1326177 - 02/22/03 07:55 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I used to spend quite a lot of time at the Denver Zen Center. It isn't a bad life, but there are always rotten apples so one must be careful. Just because somebody holds the title 'Monk' does not make them immune to the effects of the ego or desire.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1326310 - 02/22/03 09:24 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I condsidered becoming a friar at one point. I decided against it.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Has anyone considered becoming a monk? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1326493 - 02/22/03 11:11 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I was interested in staying with Shaolin monks in northern China. Still am actually.

Hmmmm... I used to think that would be cool too. But I don't have the same respect for them now that I realized that they have turned into a bastardized version of their former selves. "Come one come all see the travelling monks circus sideshow, raise money for the Chinese government!"

And you can go train with them if you'd like to, but it costs a lot of money. It's a kind of scam where people who think eating shitty bland food is a spiritual pursuit. In fact I'm starting to believe that the entire buddhist religion is a scam (well, maybe not totally. Not yet)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Has anyone considered becoming a monk? [Re: gnrm23]
    #1327052 - 02/22/03 05:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1327127 - 02/22/03 05:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well, martial arts isn't always meant for fighting. Some forms are meditative like tai chi chuan. Martial arts allows you to feel a sense of balance in your life I think.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1328165 - 02/23/03 06:14 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not into martial arts and don't have the soul that is required for it. I am a peace-loving soul who wants peace between all people if possible.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider martial arts to be violent.. I think learning to fight is a good thing, cause if you're an excellent fighter with really good control then you can control a fight you might get in and end up with a less violent outcome defending yourself.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1328288 - 02/23/03 07:39 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have, and still am strongly considering a monastic lifestyle or retreat. Ive considered traveling to the middleeast to study sufism with the masters, and to the far east to study buddhism. If been on several sufi retreats, and have close contacts with many sufi groups.

InvisibleRoom4Shroom
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone considered becoming a monk? [Re: Remy]
    #1328578 - 02/23/03 10:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I would definitely consider becoming a monk at some point...If only they would scratch out the celibacy rule :wink: Well, some people believe that sex is allowed in tibetan buddhism...but everything has been kept secret outside of the monks and practicers of that type of buddhism, so that's only rumor, I guess. Either way, if I decided to be a monk I would definitely be Mahayana and practice Zen buddism...Personally it seems to be the best of all the different types of buddhism, but that's strictly personal opinion. 

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#1328646 - 02/23/03 10:39 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I thought this was maybe what i was supposed to be doing a year or two ago. I met some devotees of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, which is basically Hare Krishna. It is rooted in ancient Hinduism but it is not Hinduism. The primary text is the Bhagavad Gita. I spent some time at a temple in Tucson, AZ where I was living at the time. Just a few days here and there.
You wake every day at 4:30 and take a cold shower, then apply the (i forget the name) sacred mud from the banks of a river in India to energy centers on the body. Then you dress and enter the temple for a few hours of devotion to deities and also to the gurus who have come before you. In my experience, we payed devotion to Swami Prabhupada who was the founder of the movement. The devotion is a mixture of doing rounds on something similar to a rosary, chanting the name(s) of the godhead. And giving offering of flowers and song to different statues and a sacred plant which is used to make the rosary beads. There is also dancing and playing instuments during devotion. Then you eat a vegetarian meal (truly blessed and opulent food). Lots of hours are spent studying the Bhagavad Gita and other vedas and sacred scripture and sanscrit. More devotion takes place all day long. And sometimes you are out and about spreading the teaching and scriptures. At the temple, you are usually awake until very late cleaning and laboring. You get very little sleep.
I think it is a bit silly to go to a retreat for the sake of having a "truly religious experience". If you go to some "retreat" where you pay somebody to immerse you in "spiritual life" for a few days, you are probably on more of a vacation than anything. My experience as a guest devotee was far from earth-shattering. It was very grounding and centering. However, short experiences like that shouldn't be meant for changing your life. You leave feeling like you have blown a few grains of sand off the top of a mountain of wordliness in which your spirit is buried. Every day you are there, your worldy attachments are pulling at you and polluting you.
A few days ago, one of my devotee friends visited my college. It was great seeing him and we were discussing a bunch of stuff. He was telling me about how the modern caste system in India is such a perversion of the original system. In the original system, there were many levels and \each individual had mobility through every one. Today's system is basically two or three levels:
The "untouchable" class which is the refuse of society. The, for lack of rememberance on my part, "middle class" which is a conglomeration of the many of the past caste levels, suited for a material, modern lifestyle. There is still the class of the spiritually attained, but many of them walk around wearing the necklace which denotes their class, even though most of them are completely fallen and decadent. They are living under the new perverted system where everyone is born into their class and is assumed to be on that level regardless of how pure they are.
The reason i bring this up is because under the original caste system, it was a common spiritual practice to live most of your life in the material world. Go to school, have a career, a family, sexual life, wordly pleasure. Then, when you were at the age of retirement, you could enter fully into the spiritual life and you would not be hindered. Because you had already experienced all the pleasures of the world and you knew what it was all about. You would not have all the pleasures and worldy attachments pulling on you the way a young, naive person would. This is the way I am approaching life now. I maintain a spiritual foundation, but i am all over and off of the path, experiencing life and seing into and through the illusions. Eventually, i will have no use for it anymore. Hopefully i will not be taken out too soon.....

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #1328911 - 02/23/03 12:41 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I've never seen any white/black/latino guy turn into a total tibetan monk with the whole orange robe and baldy head with a dingy ass ponty tail stickin out in the back practicin kung fu and living off of rice, I dont wanna think that the tibetan monks are racist or anything...but uh...i mean cmon...i think its really too esoteric to be a true monk....(I'm assuming you're talking about the REAL monks...like in Tibet and china, etc)

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: Has anyone considered becoming a monk? [Re: LoverofEarth]
    #1328974 - 02/23/03 01:21 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yeah, but i've opted for a similar approach and am in the process of savin up. For like 5 grand you can live happily for the rest of your life. Get some cheap property out in like NM, southwest US is good, or some foreign country. 1k for a half acre I estimate. 1k+ for a well. Live in a tipi, 300, or build a cob house.. much like adobe but can survive wetter climates. Why pay thousands of dollars on a house when the best building material is under you feet? Set up some solar panels, get yourself a garden going and you're set. Well it's not exactly that simple, but you get the idea..

that is exactly what i want to do, i'm already saving. only...i really wouldn't know how to get started..i would want someone to come with me, but thats what i want. a nice simple life, i could easly give up everyting if that ment i could have a peacefull life.
but i really woldn't know wear to start...

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Has anyone considered becoming a monk? [Re: Remy]
    #1329474 - 02/23/03 05:32 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Edited by Enter (02/23/03 05:32 PM)

OfflineDemon
A Drug AgainstWar

Loc: j00/2 m07h3/2
    #1330263 - 02/24/03 01:35 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I considered becoming a zen buddhist monk once. I figure it's more fun to live in the real world.

--------------------
"Sex is like a gun.. you aim, you shoot, you run" - Aerosmith

Come visit SacredShrooms.org!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom