Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMithril
Among Other Things

Radical Skepticism
    #1327041 - 02/22/03 05:02 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, this isn't a huge suicidal-type problem or anything, but here goes, anyone who can offer advice it is gladly accepted.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I tripped on 6 grams or so plus Salvia 5x when i was peaking. I have a fair amount of mushroom experience (prolly around 20 trips) but this was the highest dosage I've taken and combined with the Salvia let's just say I was transported to a new dimension. But this isn't really concerning my trip.

My problem is the after-effects of my trip. Not physical effects, but mental. I find myself questioning every single thing that I've ever held to be true. I used to pride myself on accepting information from my intuition (that I believed would come from a higher source) I haven't shattered this trust of intuition. I've just come to the point where I continually question it.

Like, I keep coming back to the thoughts, say for example X is Y.Then, "Is it really? Or am I just telling myself that? Why do I believe that? What evidence do I have to support that claim?" And I no longer come to any conclusions. My thinking seems to revolve in a circular pattern around these skepticist challenges.

By the way, I'm a philosophy student and I seem to be being influenced down a path he'd prefer not to go. :smirk: (not from psilocybin, but from Hume, Socrates and other skepticist philosophers)

I'm really going through a philosophical crisis. Thing is, whenever I'll get drunk and be at a bar, I'll be preaching about 'Humans being multidimensional infinite beings currently locked in 5-sense reality.' and I do  a really good job of it. Like when I put myself on Auto-Pilot and 'preach my ontology' I can put together a very vast and interconnected set of beliefs. But when I engage in critical thinking on my own I keep coming back to the skepticist claims above and I can't seem to get past the fact that I seem to be bullshitting myself.

Any advice on beating this continual self-annhilation of what I hold true?
Or do you guys think I should just accept the socratic approach that I KNOW nothing, and everything else is merely a theory.

Any help appreciated. Thanx for reading.
Mithril

Edited by Mithril (02/22/03 05:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: Radical Skepticism [Re: Mithril]
    #1327085 - 02/22/03 05:29 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Or do you guys think I should just accept the socratic approach that I KNOW nothing, and everything else is merely a theory.

- IMO -
ABSOLUTELY.
You've got it, my friend.
7 grams of mushrooms had the same effect on me.

Never stop questioning.

Quote:

Thing is, whenever I'll get drunk and be at a bar, I'll be preaching about 'Humans being multidimensional infinite beings currently locked in 5-sense reality.' and I do a really good job of it. Like when I put myself on Auto-Pilot and 'preach my ontology' I can put together a very vast and interconnected set of beliefs. But when I engage in critical thinking on my own I keep coming back to the skepticist claims above and I can't seem to get past the fact that I seem to be bullshitting myself.

You're not bull shitting yourself.
You're exploring your consciousness like never before.
It's who you are.

Edited by dee_N_ae (02/22/03 05:30 PM)

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1327655 - 02/22/03 10:28 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You know nothing.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Radical Skepticism [Re: sirreal]
    #1327723 - 02/22/03 11:01 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

If you find yourself suddenly questioning all sorts of stuff it sounds like autopilot got shut down and real thinking has begun. You will resolve it and likely improve both your stance and it's foundation.
You may be surprised at what you'll come up with, but it'll likely be more true to yourself. Being in a state of  :confused: isn't much fun in alot of cases. 

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Anonymous #1

#1327791 - 02/22/03 11:41 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Radical Skepticism [Re: ]
    #1327815 - 02/23/03 12:12 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have in some way the same problem, though I have never taken salvia (yet). Been using a bit much LSD lately, think thats what coused it by me.

But, now I wander, wat is the Law of Non-contradiction?

--------------------
its all placebo

Anonymous #1

Re: Radical Skepticism [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #1327823 - 02/23/03 12:24 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineMithril
Among Other Things

Re: Radical Skepticism [Re: ]
    #1328418 - 02/23/03 08:50 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Many many thanks. Kick-ass advice. I got lots more to think about now....

On that last point and the law of non-contradiction, here's a puzzle contrived by Bertrand Russel to get your minds confused:
'
Something is tall' is certainly true, and so is 'something is not tall'. But how can these sentences both be true?
For 'fred is tall' and 'fred is not tall' cannot both be true.

:confused:
heheheh. Enjoy thinking about that one.
Mith.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #1341280 - 02/27/03 04:55 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I read your post with intrest, I have a BA in Philosophy and History and am a huge skeptic, sarcastic SOB. I like the philosophical mind and get to points in my life (usually when I am more depressed than normal) and I definetley used to go through prolonged episodes like you have described. I have found that Phil majors see mto go through a kind of ethical or metaphysical psychosomatic stage in the course of their study. Christ if you read enough Kant, Soctrates, Hume, Russel ect. you begin to think like a philosopher more and more in  your everyday course of events, just like Med students who suddenly begin to look at and study disease on an advanced level for extensive periods will begin to beleive they have the disorders, sicknesses and diseases that they occupy their every waking moment learning about.
I realized this because I discovered three things: Thinking on a Philosophical level (for me) came lead to depression or depression thoughs (depressing conclusions about my own Phil ?s). Your friends do not enjoy a drunken philosophical rant with depressing, "were all fated to ..." bullshit, they want to have fun when they are drunk, and finally, the decision to pay the cable bill or to not wash your hands after your done pissing are not worthwhile things to think about on a Philospohical level.  :grin:

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#1341496 - 02/27/03 07:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

So like, your falling down a cliff and all you've got hold is a rope. You hold it a bit harder don't you? But who is to say that rope is attached to anything, if it were you probably wouldn't be falling.

Let philosophy go.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract