Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineRhapsode
Teacher
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Musicians,what do you play and who are you inspired by? [Re: the bizzle]
    #13273342 - 10/01/10 12:45 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

guitar mainly, primarily acoustic but been dabbling with my electric a lot more recent, especially as my influences have started to include more & more hip hop.

also a variety of other lute based instruments, including ukulele, banjo, and electric bass.

piano. i know theory and basic gestures (ie chord shapes) but don't have one, therefore can't practice and don't consider myself one, although it's next on my list.

i sing, too. my voice isn't great but it's not bad and it's getting better all the time, especially as i push it harder and carve out my niche.

i'm inspired by a lot of different sources that would be way too long to list hear, mainly because even if i don't like a song i try to find something that is creative or 'cool' about it that i like. i can't stand ke$ha but i dig the beat to tik tok, blah blah.

but there are certain groups that are a constant source of inspiration, namely:

the beatles. practically goes without saying. they are a wealth of musical prowess and innovation and i try to learn from them as much as i can.

jimi hendrix: as a guitarist, he has influenced more than any other. i am constantly awestruck by his ability and soul. i think him and mitch mitchell (his drummer) had one of the most complimentary synergy's i've ever heard and i don't think anyone will approach his throne for quite some time.

iron & wine: vocally this is a big influence. when i heard "upward over the mountain," i was amazing and angry because it was exactly the sound i had been picturing for years and failed to create. his lyrics are poetry and his delivery and tenderness are moving.

modest mouse: a huge influence on me that doesn't necessarily manifest in obvious ways. that is, i love them to death, but i don't think they left a huge impression on my actual sound (whereas the previous two are tangible.)

although i've been raised on classic rock, punk (from both my father and older brothers, spanning its existence), and the good music of my own generation, i've recently started to branch out more into jazz and hip hop. i studied jazz when learning guitar but have only recently come to truly respect it, especially charles mingus. the two main acts that have made the main impact as far as hip hop goes are:

mf doom: my greatest rapper of all time, although that concert bullshit is too villainous for my taste. dude is a scholar and is able to rap about anything.

aesop rock: the thinking man's rapper. you want epiphanies, awe, and intense amounts of pondering? listen to his album float.

this leaves out so much, but i hope that paints a general portrait.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
:strokebeard:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
Re: Musicians,what do you play and who are you inspired by? [Re: CarnivalBarker]
    #13273348 - 10/01/10 12:50 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I didn't mean to neglect Jimi...he's a huge inspiration. You can always hear something new in his music, and most inspiring of all, to me, was his freedom to be himself

anybody who says "he wasn't that good of a guitar player" is missing out big time, imo. That's like saying Jesus wasn't that good of a historiologist...it just doesn't matter. THE BOY HAS GOT SOUL, which means, yes he was that good

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#13273399 - 10/01/10 01:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I started off messing with software synthesizers, samples, and drum machines 10 years ago and soon after got into all sorts of guitar (bass, classical etc.) played some real drums, learned to sing then got more back into the electronic thing with some a new quality hardware (Roland jp-8000 synth, Quality sound card etc.) Figured out how to mix/master produce etc.

I'm not as big into it currently,  but i sill play all of the above on a regular basis.

My inspirations are numerous from country/folk all the way to trance/drum&bass life in general and in between.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

#13273406 - 10/01/10 01:12 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I like playing everything but im mostly into guitar and bass.    For music influences I def have gotten some bass influence from modest mouse, I love their old school jammy bass lines.    For guitar I love minimalist noise shit like Joey Santiago from the pixies kind of playing and Johnny greenwood from radiohead. I also like Black Francis (pixies) style of playing cause it seems very straightforward and it's a good style for jamming or coming up with chord progressions easily and just straight up rocking out.  I'm not really into the classic rock ten hour guitar solo type music thO I appreciate some of it(( like Hendrix for example, he's def got good sounds)).  I should also mention animal collective cause I think they've opened up the boundaries a bit for what you can do with sounds and music, and also I think their shows are cool.  There are alotttt more influences I can mention but those are some that come to mind right away.

Edited by skatealex2 (10/01/10 01:30 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Kratom Powder for Sale