Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
What makes a good trip report??
    #1325558 - 02/21/03 10:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, I'm no trip report writing expert or anything, I've only written one before, but I really like reading them, and so I've come up with a few things people do when writing them that don't really work for me, so I wanted to start a thread where people could mention what they like or don't like in a trip report.

By my standards there are two basic trip report types. The following are excerpts from two high-rated reports.

The adventure trip report
Of pigs and dragons

"Then paul came and stood in front of me in an evil manner abnd i recommended that he pull up a seat and so he went into the next room picked up a loveseat and came and placed it neatly infront of me and sat and there me jim doug and paul starred at one another for about a year like statues in the winter wind is how doug described it

it was then that it came like a hot knife over unexpecting butter KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

the knocks were short and hard the familiar call of the pigs and all of us except ronnie began moving for the back door

ronnie looked out the peephole turned around and said the words that give me shivers as i write them now "dude its the cops" and of course we disagreed but then he opened the door and said "yes sir" so then doug said one thing

"RUN MUTHERFUCKER RUN"

and out the back door we went"

The describing what goes on in your head trip report
I am everything

"I was trying to figure out the nature of the universe (myself), the nature of existence. World events kept flashing through my mind. It was like thinking about highlights of my life, like, ?I remember my graduation, I remember prom, that was pretty exciting.? I kept thinking about world wars as if they were events in my life. I kept thinking ?What is everything??? And the thought that constantly hit me was ?exponentially increasing strangeness.? Those weren?t the words I had at the time, but I kept realizing that the nature of everything was this incredible strangeness, and as soon as I could hold that thought in my head it just got bigger. As soon as I was able to conceive of the inconceivable, it jumped up another dimension so it was inconceivable again. And this was happening incredibly fast, moment by moment, so the thoughts just kept transcending each other, transcending and transcending and transcending and transcending. My thoughts were eating each other. It?s so strange. No, it?s stranger. No, it?s that strangeness squared. No, it?s that strangeness cubed. No, it?s that strangeness plus infinitely more strangeness. This was driving me insane. I had no conception of time, so it felt like infinity and one second at once. I had no idea that it would ever end, or that it had ever started. My brain kept doing flips and turning inside out."

<----------------------------------------------------------------->

Lots of people like writing about how exactly their brain works when they're on mushrooms, but for me I don't really enjoy reading about that stuff. Sometimes people will describe very meticulously the thought processes they go through on a trip, like the second snippet I posted, but being a somewhat experienced tripper I don't really care about these kinds of details. Words fall short of describing it and I can just go eat my own mushrooms if I want to know what it's like. Why would I listen to smashing pumpkins when halloween's growing in my closet and I can smash my own pumpkins?

The reason I prefer the adventure style trip report is because I can read someone's story and imagine what doing things like that would be like on mushrooms, with no paragraphs like "My consciousness melted and another consciousness came into my old conscious self and as I fell unconscious I became conscious of a new consciousness inside my brain but I wanted out so I appealed to consciousness #3 using consciousness #2 to get consciousness #1 back on line."

And I don't feel that an adventure trip report has to have a run from the cops or a gun fight to be interesting. I like seemingly mundane adventures too like "We went outside and it was raining and then I saw some people blah blah blah." I guess just knowing that the person is on mushrooms makes these things interesting

Hopefully this post hasn't come across as an insult to certain trip report writers. I'd be curious to hear people's opinions on what they think makes a good trip report.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejuicemonkey
Stranger
Loc: BC
Re: What makes a good trip report?? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1326011 - 02/22/03 07:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i guess it's all personal opinion.

I rather enjoy that stuff. It's a trip report. I want to know what was going on in their head, what it was like when 'so and so' happened, etc.

--------------------
I saw my mind do warp 10, hit the brakes, put it in reverse and back all over me

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1326039 - 02/22/03 08:12 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think when somebody keeps track of the TIME on their trip reports it always makes it a bit more enjoyable because I can tell which stage they're at during the trip.

Also, the more time spent trying to describe the undescribeable, the better the report, IMO, as long as they're not saying the same thing over and over and over again in different words :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #1326903 - 02/22/03 05:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Detail. Detail is quite important in any kind of story, and trip report. I don't want to read a trip report that really doesn't have any kind of detail to it. Even a tiny bit of detail can make it a more enjoyable read.
Spelling is important too - it's annoying trying to read a page or two and spend most of the time trying to figure out what the spelling mistakes are meant to be.
Length can help - not too long, but not too short either. But sometimes a VERY detailed and well written trip report that is over 4 pages long can be a great read if you have the patience.
Also, try and write down emotions you encountered, things you learnt, things that you found beautiful and touching, things that freaked you out etc. It's hard trying to recounter your exact feelings of a certain time on a trip when you're writing it the next day. But lastly, be honest. It doesn't really matter if you didn't encounter entities or see your universe crumble before your eyes - just write down what you did encounter.
These are all just my personal reasons for liking certain trip reports. I've only written one myself, but I thought it was written well enough.
Oh, and another helpful thing is include dosage, pre trip preparations, what you ate before the trip, etc. It can help others on deciding what helps, and what doesn't on trips.

OfflineSombie
Moonrock eater

Loc: Stafford, Virginia
Re: What makes a good trip report?? [Re: Sheepish]
    #1327061 - 02/22/03 07:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

what makes a good trip report is simply good writing, and a good trip.

jeez, no need to write essays on something that simple.

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." - Hunter S Thompson

Check out Agio

Follow my NFL Blog

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: What makes a good trip report?? [Re: Sombie]
    #1327169 - 02/22/03 08:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I was bored.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: What makes a good trip report?? [Re: Sheepish]
    #1327287 - 02/22/03 09:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Heh.. I totally agree with Sheepish. Solid advice! Trip Reports reflect the effort you put into them

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: What makes a good trip report?? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1327665 - 02/23/03 12:32 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Some simple things that have nothing to do with content:

TIME
SUBSTANCE
DOSAGE

OBJECTIVE
SUBJECTIVE

And, to sound like a schoolteacher; alineas. One massive block of text not divided into sections is'nt a fun read for most. Not too long, not too short, catchy title.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: What makes a good trip report?? [Re: Asante]
    #1328176 - 02/23/03 08:19 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

One massive block of text not divided into sections is'nt a fun read for most.

Yeah, that's the only thing that will make me not even start to read a trip report when the page loads up.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1328877 - 02/23/03 02:25 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

one time my friend pete and i ate like 9 shrooms and we were really fucking high we smoked a blunt and pete stole a bunch of candy and we tripped out and ate it then the cops ran after us and we went home it was awesome

ps. we were at 7-11 when pete stole the candy in case u were confused

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offline_MarsBars_
Punkin' Shroomer

Loc: Norway
    #1329825 - 02/23/03 09:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I hate it when trip reports use an exagerating heavy language, it makes the trip seem like it was a science experiment, but some detailed description about what it felt like in the mind (or spiritually) in an intelectual way is a real bonus to trip reports. My favourite thing in trip reports are reading about hallucinations and how they have an effect on the situation. I like most trip reports, there is only one that is disgustingly bad and abstract for my taste, its called "40 Grams!" or something. Read it and someone tell me if they even understand it.

--------------------
Dont take drugs to get fucked up, take psychedelics to learn...

OfflineSombie
Moonrock eater

Loc: Stafford, Virginia
Re: What makes a good trip report?? [Re: _MarsBars_]
    #1338061 - 02/26/03 03:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." - Hunter S Thompson

Check out Agio

Follow my NFL Blog

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1338234 - 02/26/03 04:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You are quite right, that one is a fucking shocker!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1338806 - 02/26/03 09:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You don't view tripping as a sort of science experiment at times?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: What makes a good trip report?? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1340288 - 02/27/03 11:30 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well.. trip reports can be cool... but here is one thing that bothers me... You know how sometimes you will meet a drug user... and they will talk about things they've done and you know it's fucking bullshit? I come across that a lot of times with trip reports and it turns me off like "all of the sudden the chair turned into a dragon and began asking me if i'd like a cup of tea"... if someone said something like that to my face.. i would tell them they were full of shit.. but when it comes to trip reports.. it's not my place to do such.. really annoys me.. so i don't read too many.. i'm not an asshole.. i just can't imagine tripping to the point where objects speak to you...

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports